Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VIDEO - JL JOURNAL : A BAD VIBE - Tracking Down & Fixing Driveshaft Vibrations

Also from the sounds of it, it appears that they didn't even know the driveshafts WERE the problem until they removed them, rebalanced them, and reinstalled them. It's not like you can visually look at it and say 'it's out of balance.'
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    I'm far from offended.

As far as SoCal libtards, not sure who you're referring to, but if it's Overlander, he's probably the furthest thing away from a libtard on that political spectrum.
    Good, then perhaps I could get along with Overlander...even with his potty mouth. If he's so far right then what's he doing in Calistupid then? Either way, the shafts were fine when installed and then all of a sudden they're not. So why? And why didn't Adam's fix the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Fionayeti View Post
    So let me start off saying Iím a big fan! I enjoy your videos, especially the travel ones where you explore trails and talk about the history of the areas you visit. And I always learn alot from you and the people on this forum. So please take what Iím about to say as curiosity, not criticism.
    So, let me start off by saying, I don't have a clue as to who you are but for a guy who says he really enjoys our videos, I'm kinda surprised that you missed so many details that should have made things crystal clear.

In case of your driveshaft issue, I have some questions. Iím not here to defend Adamís or any other maker, as it seems youíre not a big fan of branded shafts with cool stickers. I like to support my local vendors too and quite frankly, Iíve had more issues with local 4x4 driveline shops than the big brands.
    In the case of your local driveline shop, I guess it sucks to be you. Of course, there's a reason why I never mentioned Adam's in this video and it's because I wasn't trying to throw them under the bus. Not like I wouldn't have a right to being that I am a PAYING CUSTOMER who paid more than double what it would have cost me to have a shaft made locally but, I digress.

If I follow your build sequences, it seems you had a short Evo lift, then a Rancho lift and then an even taller Rancho lift. Before the last lift, somewhere in there you put on the new Adamís shafts and it sounded like you were happy. Do you think with all the lift changes, pinion and caster changes, not to mention the new front axle, all those things combined had an effect on the Adamís shafts performance? It sounds like (obviously) the Adamís shafts you bought werenít sized properly for the new lift and axle changes. Is it then Adamís fault the shafts were over-extended and not performing well because of the change in lifts, axle, pinion and caster?
    Apparently, you haven't been following very carefully. If you had, you would have known that we installed our Adam's driveshafts AFTER installing our tall Rancho Lift and SPECIFICALLY because the factory driveshaft is too wide in diameter and was hitting our gas tank skid plate. The new shafts were to help mitigate this and we ultimately ended up installing a track bar relocation bracket as well to help things out even more. As I stated in this video, we had a vibration from day one but made the assumption that it might have been due to me having done something wrong. I went on to explain how I tried making adjustment after adjustment but could never get it right or at least, not until getting the rear shaft re-balanced. Also, since you seemed to have missed it in all our videos including this one, the front shaft will NOT spin unless you're in 4WD and this is because of the FAD. After installing our ProRock 44, we really started to hear and feel bad vibrations even after setting the pinion in line with the shaft. Of course, this is only something we could do being that the ProRock has so much built in caster. But, the vibration was still there and just as bad and as I clearly state in this video, I assumed that it might have been caused to the shaft being extended an inch too long. As in, I still wasn't blaming Adam's for anything other than charging me more than double what it would have cost to have shafts made locally and why the first thing I did to address my vibes was get my front shaft re-tubed. It was only until AFTER I removed the front shaft and went for a test drive with just the rear shaft that I realized I still had the same vibes as I had before and decided I just wanted them gone.

Did your local driveline shop confirm that the Adamís shafts were not balanced properly? But if thatís true then how were they working well before the new lift? Are shafts balanced per lift height?
    Adam's made my shafts based on the measurements they require and on the lift that I have installed right now. My local driveline shop took my Adam's rear shaft and made it so that it no longer vibrates. Everything on it is exactly the same except for the fact that it now has balancing weights on it. Up front, there was still plenty of splines to work with and a re-tube shouldn't have been necessary but I took it upon myself to have it made an inch longer and this as opposed to assuming the lack of balancing weights was the cause of my vibration.

Why didnít you give Adamís a call (Maybe you did) and tell them your problem and give them a chance to make a wrong a right? If you did call them, did they not want to help you fix the problem?
    What you see in the video pretty much how things played out in real time. As in, I wasn't sure what the problem was or that balancing was in fact the issue until AFTER we got it fixed. What I knew was that I needed to get my front shaft re-tubed and doing that locally was cheap to do. The rear shaft is what really stung but I wasn't about to ship a very heavy shaft that measures over 48" to them, lose it for days on end and only to hope they'd make things right. Hell, I can assure you that I paid less to have it re-balanced locally than it would have cost me to ship it to them and again.

I doubt if you had an issue with your new Dynatrac axle you would have gone to your local axle shop and have them fix it and then say Dynatrac screwed up. Youíd let Dynatrac or any of the other brands stuck to the side of your Jeep make the wrong a right. Which as respected brands, they should, especially when you support their products.
    LOL!! Here we go....

First off, I've NEVER had a problem with ANY of the 10 Dynatrac axles I've run over the years. Second, a ProRock 44 costs about $5000 and I don't know of too many local shops that specialize in making brand new custom axles or at least, on this level. Second, it only cost me $94 to have a $750 driveshaft re-balanced locally and within an hour. Call me crazy but I think I can just take care of that one myself.

As far as the other brands stuck to the side of my Jeep goes, I guess you mean like Tuffy and how I showed they didn't give me all the hardware I needed in my installation video of their security deck. Or maybe LoD and how I point out how my LED fog lights wouldn't install into their front bumper. Yeah, I would never be truthful about that kind of stuff, you know - because I have stickers of them on the side of my Jeep

I suppose now IĎll get lots of forum backlash coming to your defense! Ha! Seriously, Iím just trying to understand. I trust your judgement and professionalism. I run some of the brands you support, because I see them work on your Jeep, therefore, Iím less skeptical, so I trust that theyíll work for my applications.
    Your skepticism is a result of you not understanding things. Of course, this is because you already have it in your mind what you've chosen to believe, rather than spending more of your time paying closer attention to details that are provided.

Either way, the shafts were fine when installed and then all of a sudden they're not. So why? And why didn't Adam's fix the problem?
    They weren't always fine. 8:23 in the video. The vibrations were always there.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    Iíve had a bad rear driveline vibration before...it appeared that I knocked off a weight on the trail (Rubicon) and had to drive back to Seattle while trying to find the perfect speed that minimized the vibration...it sucked.

Thank you for the informative video...it had a good vibe...
    Exactly why I always recommend that people find a local shop to work with. If you play with your Jeep as hard as you think you do, you'll need one if only to fix weights that you will knock off on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by benatc1 View Post
    Good informative video, too me it kinda looks like it's easier to change a shaft on a jl compared to a jk, like easier access. But maybe not
    Well, for sure the factory flange nuts are a hell of a lot easier to work with. Access to everything else is better too.

Yup I watched. Just wondering why Adam's didn't fix the problem.
    Because I didn't know they were the cause of the problem until I found the cause. Besides, getting the shaft from them once was enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by benatc1 View Post
    He changed pinion angle and caster a bunch so im pretty sure that means he was trying to dial in with his lift height. Plus, while I may be wrong, the 3.5 Rancho is the only lift he's ran with aftermarket driveshafts on Jet Li. On top of all that, knowing Eddie, I would assume be would go with what he knows and can get him going fast and correctly, rather than weeks off drawn out time for the manufacturer to hopefully get it right, it's one thing when you know and trust them to fix it..I also don't think he was so much griping about the cost to fix as much as the difference in original cost, just my thoughts though.
    This ^^^^^

I got the driveshafts BECAUSE of the lift I installed. I've been working addressing the vibes since last October and trying everything except getting a re-balance. You know, because they were new shafts and it couldn't be the cause of them. And really, why would I ship a heavy shaft that measures over 48" to a shop that already gave me the shaft once and just to wait around for days on end to see if they could help me out. No, at this point and time, I figured another $94 and an hour out of my day would be fine especially knowing they would get it right.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Great video. Glad you got it sorted. I canít figure why the guy thinks you were overtly bashing the drive shaft manufacturer, because I didnít see you do any of that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Also from the sounds of it, it appears that they didn't even know the driveshafts WERE the problem until they removed them, rebalanced them, and reinstalled them. It's not like you can visually look at it and say 'it's out of balance.'
    This ^^^^ Hence, why I'd been working to address them for as long as I had.

Either way, the shafts were fine when installed and then all of a sudden they're not. So why? And why didn't Adam's fix the problem?
    They weren't always fine. 8:23 in the video. The vibrations were always there.
    Once again, this ^^^^^ Clearly, someone here is paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    Great video. Glad you got it sorted. I canít figure why the guy thinks you were overtly bashing the drive shaft manufacturer, because I didnít see you do any of that.
    Glad you enjoyed the video. As far as bashing goes, I don't even think I mentioned them once by name in this video. I really thought I was just sharing exactly how things played out.

And since we're at it, here's a copy of my last invoice for the brand new 1350 driveshaft that I bought for Moby from my local shop. As you can see here, it just cost $369.90.

IMG_4643.jpg

And, here's what Adam's charged me for two 1350 shafts.

IMG_4642.jpg

Obviously, you'd have to divide that by two but that still gets you $719.95 each.

Crazy to think I would get grief for trying to save people some money or that I should somehow help protect a vendor that I BOUGHT parts from.

Nice video. Seems like Adams sent yours out without balancing. Doesnít inspire confidence in their QC.

Unfortunately now when I drive my JK Iím going to be either feeling or imagining driveline vibrations.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast