Honest opinions

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Ok, please be honest. What do you all think about this JK Hood. I was going to buy a hood louver for my Jeep. My Jk runs a little on the hot side when temps hit 95 and above. Now, that I live in Arizona I wanted to add some sort of vented hood, I already have vented inner fender liners. I found this while looking online. They are asking 300 for it. So what do you all think? Any cons going to a fiber glass hood? What about pros, other then weight (the hood only ways 3 lbs.)?

Attachments

• 00J0J_8TJp5WWobNq_1200x900.jpg
    00J0J_8TJp5WWobNq_1200x900.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 355
  • 00t0t_gVVUKlFHu13_1200x900.jpg
    00t0t_gVVUKlFHu13_1200x900.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 355
  • 00X0X_7zkxqRM5V1q_1200x900.jpg
    00X0X_7zkxqRM5V1q_1200x900.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 367

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks cool but I think you'll find that it won't do much to cool things off. Sure, it'll help a little but that's about it.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Looks cool but I think you'll find that it won't do much to cool things off. Sure, it'll help a little but that's about it.

Thanks Eddie, I always value your opinion. What about pros and cons to fiberglass hoods. I am sure you ran by a few. Any suggestions on heat, my thermostat goes almost to the 3/4 mark never in the red, but definitely passed the halfway point. It is the 3.8 liter. Only when it is 95 and above outside.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks Eddie, I always value your opinion. What about pros and cons to fiberglass hoods. I am sure you ran by a few. Any suggestions on heat, my thermostat goes almost to the 3/4 mark never in the red, but definitely passed the halfway point. It is the 3.8 liter. Only when it is 95 and above outside.

You May have a flow issue. In particular, your radiator may be caked with mud, bugs, etc. I had that and got the high temp readings you describe. Thoroughly hosed out the radiator and have had no problems since, other than one time heading up a long steep grade in the heat of summer with a bunch of camping gear on a roof rack.

I’ll add that I have a Poison Spider louvre hood. I like the look but I doubt it does anything to help cooling.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

RCVRY

Only thing I can think of as a con might be more hood flutter on the highway. Also fiberglass doesn’t “give” like sheet metal. It cracks and breaks. I dunno?

It does look cool though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You May have a flow issue. In particular, your radiator may be caked with mud, bugs, etc. I had that and got the high temp readings you describe. Thoroughly hosed out the radiator and have had no problems since, other than one time heading up a long steep grade in the heat of summer with a bunch of camping gear on a roof rack.

I'd have to agree with fiend. Before you spend any money on something like a new hood, I would take apart your cooling stack and clean it out. Over time, a TON of crap can build up between the condenser and radiator and block good airflow.

Otherwise, nothing wrong with a glass hood or that I've seen anyway.

Brute

Hooked
Fiberglass will eventually “spider web” and stress fracture ...but if you like it that’s all that counts. I have a couple AEV hoods on jeeps, and I certainly can see the heat pouring out of the vents...especially on cooler or cold days...so it has to be better than trapped under the hood...

fiend

Caught the Bug
Fiberglass will eventually “spider web” and stress fracture ...but if you like it that’s all that counts. I have a couple AEV hoods on jeeps, and I certainly can see the heat pouring out of the vents...especially on cooler or cold days...so it has to be better than trapped under the hood...

This one has already Spider webbed. [emoji23] IMG_1294.JPG

Mattmc74

I think it looks pretty cool. Never had any experience with a fiberglass hood so I can't chime in there, but if you are having heat issues really take a look at the cooling system and build up just like a few have stated above. I've had to clean between mine a couple times. I do have the poison spyder hood louver and you can see heat escaping on colder days but I got it for the look of it really not because I had an over heating issue.

TheGrendel

Have you thought about upgrading your cooling system? Aluminum 3 or 4 core radiator, bigger fan? Not sure what options are out there.

unfortunately, it seems that all of the aftermarket aluminum radiators end up leaking especially with off road use. theory is that the JK body just flexes too much.

sm31

Do under-hood temps tend to run high on Wranglers with the stock hood? Would be interesting to put a temp probe in a few spots then swap hoods to see the difference. Whether engine temps go down or not, reduced under-hood temps are always good.

In my experience with race cars, exhaust wrap brought engine my bay temps down more than just about anything (and certainly a lot more than Jet Coat). But I doubt that is practical for our application, and it can be pretty tough on the header/manifold itself.

Top Bottom