New noise

BaddestCross

Jeez, lately if it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all. 😂

I'd guess tensioner, but if you've got a scope or a long screwdriver, use it. Otherwise, pull the belt and spin stuff by hand to see if anything makes a noise or doesn't feel right.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

fiend

Caught the Bug
My belt tensioner makes a sound like that when I play in puddles.

Sent from my VS988 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah like a wet belt. But mine isn’t wet.

Jeez, lately if it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all. [emoji23]

I'd guess tensioner, but if you've got a scope or a long screwdriver, use it. Otherwise, pull the belt and spin stuff by hand to see if anything makes a noise or doesn't feel right.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Yeah I guess it’s my time for this kind of stuff. Thankfully I haven’t been stranded in the field. Yet.

I too was thinking tensioner, but I actually replaced it a year or so ago. I’ll try your idea tomorrow, and also dig up a stethoscope.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ruvicon

Yeah like a wet belt. But mine isn’t wet.

Yeah I guess it’s my time for this kind of stuff. Thankfully I haven’t been stranded in the field. Yet.

I too was thinking tensioner, but I actually replaced it a year or so ago. I’ll try your idea tomorrow, and also dig up a stethoscope.

Place a long screwdriver or prybar on the bearing in question, then your thumb on the other end, then your ear against your thumb. A bad bearing will sound distinctly different. Compare to other bearing in the alternator or ac compressor.

You have had your share of failures lately. Hopefully they’re all fixed now before Moab.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Place a long screwdriver or prybar on the bearing in question, then your thumb on the other end, then your ear against your thumb. A bad bearing will sound distinctly different. Compare to other bearing in the alternator or ac compressor.

You have had your share of failures lately. Hopefully they’re all fixed now before Moab.

Thanks Vic. I was going to go wheeling tomorrow but cancelled so I can get this fixed before Moab. Gonna miss you there!

A.J.

Sounds like idler to me. Hard the tell on phone though. Alternator is usually more of a growl. Tensioner kind of oscillating noise and movement. Screwdriver trick should help locate it. Or stethoscope. You have definitely had your share lately.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Sounds like one of the smaller pullies to me. You can make a stethoscope out of vacuum hose and I'll bet you'll find it quickly.

NorseLife

I have a 95 Chevy Silverado that sounded just like this recently and ended up putting me in a ditch. My fault for letting it go for a few days but it was super easy to fix and with some mechanical know how you should be able to check.

Mine was a cracked bearing in the idler pulley. It sounded spot on to this. I was working overtime since I let some of my employees go on vacation and didn't take the time to check it out so shame on me. The belt spinning and the pulley randomly locking up actually unscrewed it from the motor and let the belt fall of into the fan. Was turning at a busy intersection and bam no powersteering right in front of a steep ditch.

The belt is fairly easy to remove and cheap to replace go ahead and get one and while changing the belt check the pulleys to make sure none are seized up and are able to be spun at a normal amount. This should also give you an opportunity to check tension as well just in case it is going out. You may get lucky though and just have a minor crack in the belt.

Good Luck and let us know :beer:

fiend

Caught the Bug
I tried James’s idea: remove the belt and spin things independently. Everything seemed fine. No crunchiness, looseness, etc. Belt looks ok. Going to the local Rite Aid to get a stethoscope.

BaddestCross

I tried James’s idea: remove the belt and spin things independently. Everything seemed fine. No crunchiness, looseness, etc. Belt looks ok. Going to the local Rite Aid to get a stethoscope.

WJCOs idea about the vacuum tube is a good one, but if you're gonna buy something, get an automotive scope from an auto parts place or HF... They've got a long rod on them so you can do the same thing as the screwdriver or vacuum tube but look more professional doing it. Also get a lab coat. 😂

--

A.J.

Harbor freight or parts store. You want one with a long tube on the end so you can get into small area while it’s running without getting your hair caught in the pulleys. Lol! Less than $20

fiend

Caught the Bug
WJCOs idea about the vacuum tube is a good one, but if you're gonna buy something, get an automotive scope from an auto parts place or HF... They've got a long rod on them so you can do the same thing as the screwdriver or vacuum tube but look more professional doing it. Also get a lab coat. [emoji23]

--

Harbor freight or parts store. You want one with a long tube on the end so you can get into small area while it’s running without getting your hair caught in the pulleys. Lol! Less than $20

Thanks guys. Heading to Harbor Freight. Rite Aid didn’t have thing anyway.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Sounds like one of the smaller pullies to me. You can make a stethoscope out of vacuum hose and I'll bet you'll find it quickly.

Thanks. Yeah unfortunately I don’t have a suitable piece of tubing and my local go-to hardware store closed a few months ago.

Top Bottom