My first Jeep build, need input

95YJ_Jonny

IMG_2487.JPG

Buying my buddies 1995 Jeep YJ, in the works but it’s mine now. It sat for about a year (roughly) lost the keys so they just hand pushed it around to keep the tires good. 130k miles. 2.5L with the 5sp. I’m moving to the Phoenix area next week and I’ll be trailering it with me but any recommendations about the YJ? I’m a car guy by heart and an aircraft mechanic by trade so I’ll be doing most of the work myself if I can. Won’t be a daily, just for trails but trying to keep it on the cheaper side. First plan is just a simple tune up with all the works and stops. Then I’m gonna do a personal inspection on it. He said the lift is getting pretty old and he thinks the rear axle housing needs to be replaced but he’s not sure. He just said it makes a really loud noise when driving.

RCVRY

Welcome to the forum! I’d start by getting keys or rewire the ignition to a switch.
Bumper to bumper fluid changes, pull the dif covers, spin the axles by hand and see where the problem is.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RCVRY

You just bought a classic Jeep, now you get to take it apart!

Also need more pictures of the suspension, rear drive shaft, t-case, etc. I spy boomerang shackles on the front.

Looking for SYE, CV driveshaft, t-case dropped or tucked, etc.

Last edited:

95YJ_Jonny

Thanks! And yeah I ordered the new ignition already and I’m going to try to replace that before the move. It took some convincing to the wife to get a project that needs so much as were moving. I’m just hoping it starts alright after sitting for a while and hopefully I don’t need to replace to much. It has a Ford Explorer rear driveline, beefier gears in the rear. Haven’t discovered what they are yet. And he put brand new BFG tires on it a few months before it sat. And a new soft top. My buddy is just getting stationed to far to bring it with so he sold it to me for pennies on the dollar. Leaving me with some funds to replace broken parts without losing out on the Jeep.

NorseLife

Can you get your money back?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

hey now, we don't know how much he got it for or what his plans are even with the issue. Heck may be one of those blessing in disguise problems where the issue is something that could use an upgrade anyways :yup:

Either way mate grats on the jeep it looks to be in fairly good shape on the outside and has potential if you have the patients... and the bank account :bleh:

95YJ_Jonny

hey now, we don't know how much he got it for or what his plans are even with the issue. Heck may be one of those blessing in disguise problems where the issue is something that could use an upgrade anyways :yup:

Either way mate grats on the jeep it looks to be in fairly good shape on the outside and has potential if you have the patients... and the bank account :bleh:

Thanks for the positive feedback, I got it for 1200. He just paid it off for like 5k but to ship it to his next base it was gonna cost about another 5k he just doesn’t have and he doesn’t have family anywhere near the Jeep he has a buddy watching it and taking care of it. we were all stationed together we’re all good friends. Also how I got the Jeep for so cheap.

95YJ_Jonny

Also need more pictures of the suspension, rear drive shaft, t-case, etc. I spy boomerang shackles on the front.

Looking for SYE, CV driveshaft, t-case dropped or tucked, etc.

I’ll be able to post pictures probably Wednesday night when I pick it up. If anyone is still active on this post then. I have a few he sent me I can upload
IMG_2491.JPG
IMG_2486.jpg

A.J.

Lol! All good just giving you a hard time. Hopefully it's something minor on the rear end. It will be a lot of fun to build it up. With a motor swap,coil over conversion and axles that thing could be pretty sweet! $1200 is a great deal.

95YJ_Jonny

My buddy said it’s not internals on the rear axle, he said it’s the housing itself. Around the phoenix area I could get one for like 250$ and I’ll could install myself with the help from some buddies for a 24pk of cold ones.

95YJ_Jonny

Lol! All good just giving you a hard time. Hopefully it's something minor on the rear end. It will be a lot of fun to build it up. With a motor swap,coil over conversion and axles that thing could be pretty sweet! $1200 is a great deal.

Thanks man, just gonna keep things light on the upgrades and just make it work for now. See where things go and get opinions along the way. For the first while I just want to get it running again with no problems and see from there what it can handle

NorseLife

Dang good price man, Id say worth it!

On a side note I just realized my typo in my last post. I put patients instead of patience. I work in the medical field and too much apparently :cheesy:

95YJ_Jonny

Dang good price man, Id say worth it!

On a side note I just realized my typo in my last post. I put patients instead of patience. I work in the medical field and too much apparently :cheesy:

I figured such, thanks man. Hopefully I can use the forum to find the answers to my problems or post them to get help

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I loved my old YJ, it’s a great vehicle. The only issue I had was the front axle wearing out and needing rebuilt. Had the same engine as you and I ran 35” TSL Boggers (a stupid heavy tire. It held up to decent off road use. It will be a nice ride if you take your time and do your research.

95YJ_Jonny

Just found out it has 4.10 gears with LS, and the issue he said is that the rear leaf spring mounting bracket wore into the axle housing and he said it dug pretty deep and should be replaced soon, does anyone know how much it would cost to swap the gears into a used housing? Looking in the Phoenix area

95YJ_Jonny

I loved my old YJ, it’s a great vehicle. The only issue I had was the front axle wearing out and needing rebuilt. Had the same engine as you and I ran 35” TSL Boggers (a stupid heavy tire. It held up to decent off road use. It will be a nice ride if you take your time and do your research.

Awesome man, I hope I can enjoy mine as much when mines done. I probably won’t run that big of tires haha, it has 33s so I’ll probably keep that for a while

95YJ_Jonny

So I have another question then, but would a Dana 44 from a newer Jeep be worth throwing in there if I can find one on Craigslist? What’s the cost to get it to work with a YJ. Besides the cost of the axle what am I looking at?

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Lots of good shops around the area you’re coming to. I’d see about getting a certified welder to maybe repair the area if it just basically has a gouge in it. Then fix what caused the damage. That’s the most cost effective fix.

Top Bottom