Roof leaks and manual transmission issues (ongoing).

Rfielding1

I'm currently having issues with FCA and my 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. The Jeep has been in the dealership's service department for over 60 days now, and proper repairs have yet to be made.

For a quick backstory, I'm active duty Air Force newly stationed with my wife in California. I owned a 2012 2dr sport and drove it until this past fall, when I upgraded to a 2017 Sahara unlimited. This was to accommodate a growing family and increasing space requirements. I purchased the Sahara from a fellow military gentlemen who was having difficulty making the payments. I went through the jeep with a fine-tooth comb and found no abnormalities at the time of purchase. There wasn't as much as a chip in the paint. Well, come winter and the rainy season, I noticed the floor panels filling with water after every rain shower. I brought the Sahara to Vacaville Jeep Dodge late-December 2018, where they stated the roof was resealed and successfully tested without any leaks. Days later, another rain storm passed through and twice as much water collected on the floor. I brought the Sahara back a second time, it now being the first week of January 2019, where the roof was again resealed and tested for leaks. I had noted during both these visits that the jeep would pop out of gear every few times I'd reverse. The dealership said they couldn't reproduce the issue, and that they would be unable to fix anything without a diagnosis. However, the second time I brought the Jeep in for the roof leak, I came armed with a video to show the dealer what would happen when I tried to reverse. They acknowledged the video, but again told me they were unable to reproduce the problem. Days later, while in the shuttle to pick up my Jeep, I got a call from the dealer saying they were having difficulty backing it out of their detail shop because it wouldn't stay in reverse. I was told that the problem would be diagnosed over the weekend. The shuttle took me home and I was left to find my own rental car, since the dealership no longer had a loaner program. I got a call from the service rep the next week. They stated the reverse syncro was bad, and that it would need to be replaced. I fought for a new transmission, and after escalating the issue to FCA, it was agreed the transmission would be replaced entirely. I was left with no eta for the arrival of this backordered transmission. In the meantime, I had to return my rental car to be placed in another vehicle from a different rental agency that the dealership had recently opened an account with. This car is (I'm still in it) a base model Toyota Camry, which doesn't quite add up to my fully loaded Sahara. I have yet to be reimbursed for the first rental I paid for out of pocket, despite being clearly told by my service rep that reimbursement would be no issue. Another month passed with no estimated repair date, and I reached back out to FCA to discuss the possibility of a buyback or replacement vehicle. I was put in touch with the top level of FCA's disputes team, and a case was created for review. I get a weekly call from my POC at disputes saying there's still no update on my case. A few weeks ago the dealership reached out to inform me that the transmission would be arriving March 21st. I received a call on Friday, March 22nd at 5:00pm saying that the transmission was installed and the Jeep was about to be test driven, and that it would be ready to be picked up after that, but before the shop closed at 7:00p. This was an issue, because I worked 7p-7a shifts Thursday-Saturday of that week. I was told by the service rep that the rental car would need to be returned and the Jeep picked up the next day to avoid paying out of pocket. With the rental agency being open only 9a-12p on Saturdays, this would mean I would have to leave base at 7:00a after working all night, pick up my jeep, sit for two hours to return my rental, then try to get some sleep before returning to work again that evening at 7:00p. I arrived at the dealership that morning after work to pick up the Jeep. The paperwork showed that a new transmission had been placed in the vehicle, and the Jeep was ready to go. When the service tech pulled up in my jeep and opened the door to me, I was met by a strong odor of mildew and rot. I looked into the jeep to see standing water on the floor. This means that my jeep had filled with water and marinated in the sun every other day for the last two months. Without even touching the vehicle, I returned to the service office and handed back the keys to the weekend service rep. He made a note for my service rep, and said they would get back to me on Monday, March 25 about the issue.

So, here I am, making payments on a fully loaded jeep and driving a base model Camry. I find it terribly ironic that a brand which founded itself through winning a world war with the US military can't even get an Airman to work anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lojo

Oh man that sucks!! Hopefully they take care if you and SOON!! I would be absolutely livid and definitely be a on them to make it right ASAP....
hope it works out and thank you for your service!!

Rfielding1

I'm currently having issues with FCA and my 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. The Jeep has been in the dealership's service department for over 60 days now, and proper repairs have yet to be made.

For a quick backstory, I'm active duty Air Force newly stationed with my wife in California. I owned a 2012 2dr sport and drove it until this past fall, when I upgraded to a 2017 Sahara unlimited. This was to accommodate a growing family and increasing space requirements. I purchased the Sahara from a fellow military gentlemen who was having difficulty making the payments. I went through the jeep with a fine-tooth comb and found no abnormalities at the time of purchase. There wasn't as much as a chip in the paint. Well, come winter and the rainy season, I noticed the floor panels filling with water after every rain shower. I brought the Sahara to Vacaville Jeep Dodge late-December 2018, where they stated the roof was resealed and successfully tested without any leaks. Days later, another rain storm passed through and twice as much water collected on the floor. I brought the Sahara back a second time, it now being the first week of January 2019, where the roof was again resealed and tested for leaks. I had noted during both these visits that the jeep would pop out of gear every few times I'd reverse. The dealership said they couldn't reproduce the issue, and that they would be unable to fix anything without a diagnosis. However, the second time I brought the Jeep in for the roof leak, I came armed with a video to show the dealer what would happen when I tried to reverse. They acknowledged the video, but again told me they were unable to reproduce the problem. Days later, while in the shuttle to pick up my Jeep, I got a call from the dealer saying they were having difficulty backing it out of their detail shop because it wouldn't stay in reverse. I was told that the problem would be diagnosed over the weekend. The shuttle took me home and I was left to find my own rental car, since the dealership no longer had a loaner program. I got a call from the service rep the next week. They stated the reverse syncro was bad, and that it would need to be replaced. I fought for a new transmission, and after escalating the issue to FCA, it was agreed the transmission would be replaced entirely. I was left with no eta for the arrival of this backordered transmission. In the meantime, I had to return my rental car to be placed in another vehicle from a different rental agency that the dealership had recently opened an account with. This car is (I'm still in it) a base model Toyota Camry, which doesn't quite add up to my fully loaded Sahara. I have yet to be reimbursed for the first rental I paid for out of pocket, despite being clearly told by my service rep that reimbursement would be no issue. Another month passed with no estimated repair date, and I reached back out to FCA to discuss the possibility of a buyback or replacement vehicle. I was put in touch with the top level of FCA's disputes team, and a case was created for review. I get a weekly call from my POC at disputes saying there's still no update on my case. A few weeks ago the dealership reached out to inform me that the transmission would be arriving March 21st. I received a call on Friday, March 22nd at 5:00pm saying that the transmission was installed and the Jeep was about to be test driven, and that it would be ready to be picked up after that, but before the shop closed at 7:00p. This was an issue, because I worked 7p-7a shifts Thursday-Saturday of that week. I was told by the service rep that the rental car would need to be returned and the Jeep picked up the next day to avoid paying out of pocket. With the rental agency being open only 9a-12p on Saturdays, this would mean I would have to leave base at 7:00a after working all night, pick up my jeep, sit for two hours to return my rental, then try to get some sleep before returning to work again that evening at 7:00p. I arrived at the dealership that morning after work to pick up the Jeep. The paperwork showed that a new transmission had been placed in the vehicle, and the Jeep was ready to go. When the service tech pulled up in my jeep and opened the door to me, I was met by a strong odor of mildew and rot. I looked into the jeep to see standing water on the floor. This means that my jeep had filled with water and marinated in the sun every other day for the last two months. Without even touching the vehicle, I returned to the service office and handed back the keys to the weekend service rep. He made a note for my service rep, and said they would get back to me on Monday, March 25 about the issue.

So, here I am, making payments on a fully loaded jeep and driving a base model Camry. I find it terribly ironic that a brand which founded itself through winning a world war with the US military can't even get an Airman to work anymore.

I failed to mention that there was and additional 800 miles on the odometer at the attempted pick-up.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I failed to mention that there was and additional 800 miles on the odometer at the attempted pick-up.

Well that's one hell of a service drive. I would tell them to stick the Sahara up their a**. Shit they drove it like they owned it. There is no way to explain 800 miles.

Last edited:

Seahawkfan

Hooked
It’s almost like they were using it as a fleet vehicle while it was there. I’m not a happy camper!

I would assume being a Sahara it has NAV wonder if there is a way see where it has been?:thinking:

Found this:https://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/car-technology-and-privacy.html

2. Recently Navigated Locations
Every navigation system maintains a log of the last few places you routed. This is a handy feature if you want to return to the same place but can't remember how you got there. There isn't a way we know of to disable the log, but all navigation systems let you delete the recent destinations. A security-conscious driver would just need to make a habit of regularly deleting the entries.
Some navigation systems track your frequently travelled locations and automatically mark the map with a "breadcrumb" trail. This function is not on by default and must be turned on by the driver. If you think a dealership enabled it before delivery of your new car, you can check and then turn it off

Last edited:

Rfielding1

I would assume being a Sahara it has NAV wonder if there is a way see where it has been?:thinking:

Found this:https://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/car-technology-and-privacy.html

2. Recently Navigated Locations
Every navigation system maintains a log of the last few places you routed. This is a handy feature if you want to return to the same place but can't remember how you got there. There isn't a way we know of to disable the log, but all navigation systems let you delete the recent destinations. A security-conscious driver would just need to make a habit of regularly deleting the entries.
Some navigation systems track your frequently travelled locations and automatically mark the map with a "breadcrumb" trail. This function is not on by default and must be turned on by the driver. If you think a dealership enabled it before delivery of your new car, you can check and then turn it off

Good thinking! Unfortunately, it has everything but nav. Wish it did!

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Good thinking! Unfortunately, it has everything but nav. Wish it did!

There is the Data tracker but not sure what kind of info that will give. Good luck and I hope they make it right. If that's possible. Big business makes up their own cost for late fee, penalties and all the other shit they throw at us. Maybe you come up with your own mileage fee. Maybe $30 a mile. haha

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Story so far sounds like it sucks and that the dealership it is at is terrible.

Regarding your roof leaking it sounds like it is your door jam and not your roof. I’ll take photos of mine later where/how I routed the weather stripping to prevent it.

clos0791

800 miles! That is unacceptable. 800 miles is how long it takes to drive from San Diego to the Cal / Oregon border! They were definitely using the Sahara for trips and shit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Is it possible that the odometer got messed up with the transmission swap? Just seems unlikely that a dealership would use your Jeep for errands. After all, a dealership is a multi-million dollar business and they have a reputation to protect. The smell that you described also makes me think that the odometer just got jacked and it was probably sitting for a long time.

Sorry to hear about your issues, but water in Jeeps is a well documented wayalife. You’d be better off to fix it yourself.

Rfielding1

Is it possible that the odometer got messed up with the transmission swap? Just seems unlikely that a dealership would use your Jeep for errands. After all, a dealership is a multi-million dollar business and they have a reputation to protect. The smell that you described also makes me think that the odometer just got jacked and it was probably sitting for a long time.

Sorry to hear about your issues, but water in Jeeps is a well documented wayalife. You’d be better off to fix it yourself.

I find it more unlikely that the odometer would be off from the transmission swap. I understand that people fix these leaks on their own, but it just seems absurd to be doing it on a new vehicle.

Top Bottom