XJ to YJ Eng

dstoner

I have recently came into a 2000 XJ with a perfectly running 4.0. I have the whole vehicle and was going to swap it into my sons YJ that has a weak 2.5. The XJ is a 2wd auto and the YJ is 5 spd. If possible I would like to convert the whole thing into the YJ to make it a 4.0 auto 4wd. Can anybody get me started with the correct path to accomplish this or at least the best way to swap the motor in to give it more power.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
You will need the engine, harness and ECM. Get a flywheel and clutch for that year manual 4.0. As far as engine mounts are concerned, I'm not 100% sure, but I would assume that the 4.0 or 4.2 depending on year of YJ engine mounts should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

pop2tu

To use the auto transmission. If you are going to swap out and use the 4.0 XJ computer, you will need to find a 4wd transmission from a 98-2000 XJ. I converted my sons 98 XJ from 2wd to 4wd. We got a trans from a 97, it doesn’t have a front input speed sensor. I heard that it would work we put it in. It would not shift. It stayed in second, unless we disconnected the trans module, then it was a manual shift. We ended up taking both trans to friend that rebuilds transmissions for a living and he made 1 trans out of 2. Because of the internal components and having to use the 97 tail shaft now the rear speed sensor has to be from the 97 trans. The computer doesn’t read it, and check engine light is on. It will shift fine but can’t get the light to go off.

Hope this help

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom