New Video Retention Harness plug won't fit my OEM Stereo??

sm31

I've been working on my backup camera install today. Everything went swimmingly until it came time to plug the new video retention harness into the back of my OEM stereo (with nav)... only to find the plugs are slightly different. I'm even having trouble finding adapter harnesses for this stereo.

Here is a pic of the different plugs. The stock plug is grey. I suppose it would be a bad idea to modify the little plastic tabs at the bottom... note that they are in slightly different positions relative to each other. I've also attached a shot of the top of the deck to show the model #.

Would it be possible to just connect the backup camera portion somehow? That's all I need anyway.

Any advice or ideas? I'm a little out of my depth when it comes to electronics... Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20190324_170158.jpg
    20190324_170158.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190324_170023.jpg
    20190324_170023.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 44

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Which my gig radio do you have? What year is you jk? If you have a photo of the front of your radio, I could probably tell which my gig you have from that. This is the harness I used:
IMG_4436.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I've been working on my backup camera install today. Everything went swimmingly until it came time to plug the new video retention harness into the back of my OEM stereo (with nav)... only to find the plugs are slightly different. I'm even having trouble finding adapter harnesses for this stereo.

Here is a pic of the different plugs. The stock plug is grey. I suppose it would be a bad idea to modify the little plastic tabs at the bottom... note that they are in slightly different positions relative to each other. I've also attached a shot of the top of the deck to show the model #.

Would it be possible to just connect the backup camera portion somehow? That's all I need anyway.

Any advice or ideas? I'm a little out of my depth when it comes to electronics... Thanks!!

Your 430N should have two receptacles:

IMG_8500.JPG

The radio and nav plug into the right (drivers side) and the backup camera harness plugs into the left (passenger side).

This is the harness:

IMG_8501.jpg

sm31

Oh man... this serves as further proof that if I can't use air tools or a hammer to fix it, i should really just leave it be.

I was trying to use the new harness like it was an adapter or something. Never even occured to me that I should check for another plug on the back!!!

Of course it works perfectly...

If y'all are ever in Anchorage AK... my beer tab will be justifiably large. :)

Last edited:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Oh man... this serves as further proof that if I can't use air tools or a hammer to fix it, i should really just leave it be.

I was trying to use the new harness like it was an adapter or something. Never even occured to me that I should check for another plug on the back!!!

Lol, it’s all good man. We’ve all been there. Glad it was an easy fix for you.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug

I’m happy to see that it worked out! [emoji482]

Top Bottom