WJ axles and T-case on an XJ?

XJchoptopMJcrew

Converting a 94 XJ 2wd and thinking of buy a 2001 WJ and putting the AD44 and Tcase on my XJ, seems like a cheap and time consuming exercise in trouble shooting. Any help out there on any inside information on something stupid like this?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

XJchoptopMJcrew

WJ AD44 on a XJ?

Converting a 94 XJ 2wd and thinking of buying a 2001 WJ and putting the AD44 and Tcase on my XJ, seems like a cheap and time consuming exercise in trouble shooting. Any help out there or any inside information on something like this?

Last edited:

XJchoptopMJcrew

WJ axles and Tcase on a XJ?

Converting a 94 XJ 2wd and thinking of buying a 2001 WJ and putting the AD44 and Tcase on my XJ, seems like a cheap and time consuming exercise in trouble shooting. Any help out there or any inside information on doing something like this?

Last edited:

XJchoptopMJcrew

WJ axles and Tcase on an XJ

Converting a 94 XJ 2wd and thinking of buying a 2001 WJ and putting the AD44 and Tcase on my XJ, seems like a cheap and time consuming exercise in trouble shooting. Any help out there or any inside information on doing something like this?

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
My personal opinion is it seems like a waste of time. You are going to have to grind all of the brackets off anyways and weld on new ones. I would go with a Ford 8.8 or a 9 inch rear and throw C gussets on the front Dana 30 and call it a day. Run 35's for 100k and you be fine. The Ford 9 inch has much better aftermarket potential but the 8.8 from 95-present is much easier to get ahold of. Plus 4 wheel disc brakes.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

XJchoptopMJcrew

My personal opinion is it seems like a waste of time. You are going to have to grind all of the brackets off anyways and weld on new ones. I would go with a Ford 8.8 or a 9 inch rear and throw C gussets on the front Dana 30 and call it a day. Run 35's for 100k and you be fine. The Ford 9 inch has much better aftermarket potential but the 8.8 from 95-present is much easier to get ahold of. Plus 4 wheel disc brakes.

I can buy a blown engine WJ for 500 bucks, I don’t mind the fabrication aspect, I need a Tcase, bigger axles, and electronic seats, seems like WJ is my cheapest beat for all three. But I keep hearing the AD44 axles are not great off the WJ, but for the price I don’t mind limited locker aftermarket options. I am however concerned that the Tcase is quadratic and may have a computer system involved? Not sure if it dose? But of course not thrilled about introducing a computer controlled system into a non computerized XJ

WJCO

Meme King
I can buy a blown engine WJ for 500 bucks, I don’t mind the fabrication aspect, I need a Tcase, bigger axles, and electronic seats, seems like WJ is my cheapest beat for all three. But I keep hearing the AD44 axles are not great off the WJ, but for the price I don’t mind limited locker aftermarket options. I am however concerned that the Tcase is quadratic and may have a computer system involved? Not sure if it dose? But of course not thrilled about introducing a computer controlled system into a non computerized XJ

I've had no issues with my rear 44a. Ran it on 32s and 33s for a few years with no issues and now I'm on 35s. I've heard negative feedback as well but so far no issues for me.

Personally I think your project is a unique one but if you get your ducks in a row, I'm sure it can be done somehow.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I've had no issues with my rear 44a. Ran it on 32s and 33s for a few years with no issues and now I'm on 35s. I've heard negative feedback as well but so far no issues for me.

Personally I think your project is a unique one but if you get your ducks in a row, I'm sure it can be done somehow.
Ditto to this. My D44A in my ZJ is going strong at 300k. My only thought is that if you're doing all the work, why not use a better part anyways 🤷. Plus aftermarket support for the 44a sucks and for the Ford 8.8 or 9 it's huge.

trplxj

Just because it’s cheap doesn’t mean it’s right. Personally I wouldn’t waste the time. As others have said you’d be better off doing a 8.8 or 9 inch and a D30 from a XJ or TJ and be done.

longarmwj

Skip the 44a. I blew mine up on 31s, rebuilt it, blew it up on 35s. Aftermarket for the 44a isn’t as supportive as a regular 44 either. It’s weaker all the way around. Go straight for a 60 or a non aluminum 44

XJchoptopMJcrew

Although if we're talking proper upgrade I'd just get a 231 with the Ford rear axle 🤷

Would a 1989 Ford F-150 with a 8.8 and a danna 44 work? I’m looking at buying a wrecked f150 now? What kind of Tcase is on there is it good? I’m worried about the cost of custom drive shafts, were on the WJ they are already the right size?

Top Bottom