ARB Twin or Power Tank

fiend

Caught the Bug
Not sure which way to go, any advise would be great. Take 3 to 5 off road trips a year and the rest is DD.

I have the twin and wheel with guys that have power tanks. The best thing about CO2 is speed: those guys air up in seconds while even the twin takes a fair amount of time, at least for larger tires. Downsides of CO2 include:

The tank is large, takes up a lot of space in the Jeep, and can be a safety hazard if not mounted securely.

The tank needs to be refilled, which can be expensive and time consuming.

The Power tank is fairly expensive, although you can assemble a functional system yourself for much less.

The ARB twin is about the same price as a Powertank. Installing it is kind of a pain, but only needs to be done once. It can be hidden under a seat or in the engine compartment, so it doesn’t take up space and isnt going to whack you in the back of the head if you rear end someone. Also, Unless the compressor malfunctions, you’re not going to run out of air, which is nice for multi day trips, helping others, and runs where you air up and down multiple times.

Some people say CO2 is better for running air tools, but I can’t comment on that because I use battery powered trail tools.

On balance I’m happy with my twin, but may piece together a CO2 system just for fun if I can scrape together enough couch change.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jdofmemi

☝️☝️Fiend nailed it☝️☝️

I will add that the air tool function was great to have, 10 years ago, before the battery powered tools got good, no I mean great.

Now my air tools stay home, and I don't even use them there. Milwaukee M-18 tools ride with me, and with the charger, you don't run out of power.

A PT-10 is good for two trips, then $20 to refill it, and on a longer trip, there likely won't be a handy place to fill it.

Plus, every five years you are supposed to send the tank in to get pressure tested and re certified, or the welding shop won't fill it.

The remaining positive of the Powertank is that it flows fast enough to re seat a bead if you have to dismount a tire or if you blow a bead wheeling without beadlocks.

I have never used mine for either on the trail, but in the garage it gets used for that.

manenberg

I have the twin and wheel with guys that have power tanks. The best thing about CO2 is speed: those guys air up in seconds while even the twin takes a fair amount of time, at least for larger tires. Downsides of CO2 include:

The tank is large, takes up a lot of space in the Jeep, and can be a safety hazard if not mounted securely.

The Power tank is fairly expensive, although you can assemble a functional system yourself for much less.

The ARB twin is about the same price as a Powertank. Installing it is kind of a pain, but only needs to be done once. Unless the compressor malfunctions, you’re not going to run out of air, which is nice for multi day trips, helping others, and runs where you air up and down multiple times.

Some people say CO2 is better for running air tools, but I can’t comment on that because I use battery powered trail tools.

On balance I’m happy with my twin, but may piece together a CO2 system just for fun if I can scrape together enough couch change.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm looking around to find where I can even get it filled and for how much around me. I have the single ARB installed under the hood, but it dies filling just 1 37" tire. 4WP has there own version of the Power Tank for just 300 and no tax right now so that seemed like a good deal if I went that way.

Bear_JT

Hooked

The ARB twin is about the same price as a Powertank. Installing it is kind of a pain, but only needs to be done once. Unless the compressor malfunctions, you’re not going to run out of air, which is nice for multi day trips, helping others, and runs where you air up and down multiple times.

I’d say this sums it all up.

fiend

Caught the Bug
The remaining positive of the Powertank is that it flows fast enough to re seat a bead if you have to dismount a tire or if you blow a bead wheeling without beadlocks.

I have never used mine for either on the trail, but in the garage it gets used for that.

This is an excellent point. I unseated a bead one time and a friend’s CO2 system worked great to reseat it quickly. Maybe I could have done it with the compressor, but certainly not as easily.

jdofmemi

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm looking around to find where I can even get it filled and for how much around me. I have the single ARB installed under the hood, but it dies filling just 1 37" tire. 4WP has there own version of the Power Tank for just 300 and no tax right now so that seemed like a good deal if I went that way.

For a fill, welding supply shops are the cheapest, usually

Most paintball shops can fill your tank as well, and some of them are less worried about the certificate on your tank.

SLO

Really solid responses so not much to add as far as comparisons. I just got done installing both. I initially purchased the PowerTank because I wanted the fastest air up possible. I’m the kind of person that cuts things down to the last minute and when my wife tells me to be home from wheeling at 6:00 for dinner plans and I know I have an hour drive home, I’ll come off the trail at 5:05 and realize that i have another 20 minutes to air up (with my previous $50 Amazon compressor). So, time was important.

I also added the Monster Valves which makes a huge difference in how fast the PowerTank can work.

Then I realized, after getting the Power Tank, how difficult it is to know how much CO2 is left. Yes, you can weigh it empty and then weigh it full but on a multi-day trip, you would have to have a scale with you and calculate the difference in current weight from empty weight, etc. Just seemed like a chance I didn’t want to take. So, I got the ARB Twin as a backup. I installed JK Innovation’s seat bracket that they custom made with dual ports - one for air and the other for CO2. The kit comes with 4 lines that run from the port to each tire so you can fill up all 4 tires equally at once.

I ran the CO2 line to the back where I will Mount the PT. I have a fitting that will mount to the PT bracket that I can connect the PT hose up to if I want to use the JKI setup. Or, I can always pull out the PT and just use it to fill one tire at a time. Lots of options.
IMG_0595.JPG IMG_0596.JPG IMG_0593.JPG

maskale

I wanted on board air for my crawlerhauler, I bought the twin to see if it could really run air tools at camp for bigger repairs. I was not at all impressed nor would I rate the twin as being able to run tools the way I wanted, even when used with a 10gl tank. IMO if being able to run air tools is part of your decision I would get the tank.

Also before you buy figure out your filling situation. My 20lb tank that use for welding cost $32 to swap at a welding supply. Prices can vary from place to place so check the welding, paint ball and fire extinguisher places. Also make sure they are quoting you on refill price not swapping. Obviously you don't want to trade in your power tank for a beat up tank. Also is the fill a flat rate or by weight. It makes a difference when you wanna refill your tank when you know its not really empty.

JJ151

These are all really great points. I opted for the twin for space considerations then added a 2 gallon tank between the frame rails with a beefy skid plate. It will still take longer than the CO2 tank but with the 4 tire manifold and pressure regulator I can set it up and air up all four tires while shooting the breeze with my buddies.

A.J.

I have a compressor for lockers and as backup if I am dumb and let co2 run out. Cheapest route I have found is at welding supply. I paid a $50 deposit for a tank 4 years ago. I just go in an exchange it when empty for about $20. I use a 150psi basic regulator with a quick coupler fitting attached to it. No gauges. Their pretty much worthless with co2. When your out your out. There is a dandy spot for a 10lb tank under the driver side back seat. I have some foam padding I stuff in there with it. Can't get out and no rattling. I can usually get 5 fill ups from 10-30 psi on 37's and works great for air tools.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

gregaf3

On the trail you are only af fast as the slowest guy. I have a twin mounted under the seat on my JK and a 20lb powertank that I can use for my JK or Raptor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Seahawkfan

Hooked
☝️☝️Fiend nailed it☝️☝️

I will add that the air tool function was great to have, 10 years ago, before the battery powered tools got good, no I mean great.

Now my air tools stay home, and I don't even use them there. Milwaukee M-18 tools ride with me, and with the charger, you don't run out of power.

A PT-10 is good for two trips, then $20 to refill it, and on a longer trip, there likely won't be a handy place to fill it.

Plus, every five years you are supposed to send the tank in to get pressure tested and re certified, or the welding shop won't fill it.

When mounting up my new 37's on Machetes. I had to us my ARB twin to fill the spare it set the bead with no problem. Probably not as efficient as a tank and I wasn't in the middle of nowhere. :thumb:

jdofmemi

When mounting up my new 37's on Machetes. I had to us my ARB twin to fill the spare it set the bead with no problem. Probably not as efficient as a tank and I wasn't in the middle of nowhere. :thumb:

New tires on beadlocks seat pretty easy. One side is done, and gravity holds the other side down.

Non beadlocks are another story. Whatever you do to help one side hurts the other. Standing up with a strap around the center helps, but there is still room for air to get out, so you have to put it in faster than it leaks out.

Also, new tires seat much easier than older ones, so a problem on the trail is tougher by far than mounting up new tires on beadlocks in the garage.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
New tires on beadlocks seat pretty easy. One side is done, and gravity holds the other side down.

Non beadlocks are another story. Whatever you do to help one side hurts the other. Standing up with a strap around the center helps, but there is still room for air to get out, so you have to put it in faster than it leaks out.

Also, new tires seat much easier than older ones, so a problem on the trail is tougher by far than mounting up new tires on beadlocks in the garage.

Makes sense. I know one thing I wouldn't want mount a non-beadlock in my garage or the trail. Been there done that!!

I’m looking at building a 10 lb tank....I’ve got 40s and never upgraded to the twin ARB so the single just takes so long. When I go wheeling it’s usually just a day or 2 so I don’t have to air up much unless I drive into town.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

desertrunner

OP do you have a winch? I only ask because I was able to pick up a used warn power plant on Craigslist for about 60% less than bran new. While still expensive I use that for airing up my tires. It does take about 2min per tire (37x13.5) to air up but I use it about as much as you would with the trips mentioned in the first post. And I have honestly used it as much to help other people out air up tires and fill up my air mattress camping and other float toys at the lake etc. 100% duty cycle so yeah it takes some time but doesn't shut off on me filling up for 10mins. And it's dual purpose with the winch since I needed one anyway at the time. Suits me well for both. Just wanted to add another option to an onboard air solution

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom