Manual or Automatic Gladiator

jeepguy225

@Wayalife. From your videos it looks like you have a mix of manual and automatics around your garage. How did you tear yourself away from the manual transmission when buying the JK/JL? Or do you purposely keep the CJ around for those days you need to drive a stick shift? Have you driven a manual JL? If so, can you weigh in on your experience with the manual? I've seen a few of your posts on other threads about the automatic being far superior to the manual, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Could you share a few comforting words to help me with a decision in favor of the automatic (or manual)?

I have owned all manual vehicles (2 trucks, 3 jeeps- CJ's and TJ) and am torn 50/50 between a manual and auto when I purchase the JTR (35's to start, 37's with a 5.13 re-gear a few years down the road). Rowing thru the gears in a manual is fun, besides that, an auto beats it 99% of the time today. All of the opinions I read boil down to nostalgia vs technology, more maintenance $$$$ vs minimal maintenance $, off-road difficulty vs point and go. I'm not concerned about towing or mpg, but at $50k, I'll have to keep this thing forever. My inner-jeep says manual, my inner-truck says manual, my head says auto, the wife says get whatever you want (which is great!!), so I'm looking for the opinion of an expert Jeep guy to possibly sway me in one direction or the other - this decision is keeping me awake at night! lol My primary usage will be DD. I estimate I will off-road 2 Saturdays per month, so, 94% mall crawler, 6% trails and mud. I will probably sell my current CJ-7.

Anyone out there trading in their JK/JL automatic for a JT manual?

Last edited:

Seahawkfan

Hooked
@Wayalife. From your videos it looks like you have a mix of manual and automatics around your garage. How did you tear yourself away from the manual transmission when buying the JK/JL? Or do you purposely keep the CJ around for those days you need to drive a stick shift? Have you driven a manual JL? If so, can you weigh in on your experience with the manual? I've seen a few of your posts on other threads about the automatic being far superior to the manual, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Could you share a few comforting words to help me with a decision in favor of the automatic (or manual)?

I have owned all manual vehicles (2 trucks, 3 jeeps- CJ's and TJ) and am torn 50/50 between a manual and auto when I purchase the JTR (35's to start, 37's with a 5.13 re-gear a few years down the road). Rowing thru the gears in a manual is fun, besides that, an auto beats it 99% of the time today. All of the opinions I read boil down to nostalgia vs technology, more maintenance $$$$ vs minimal maintenance $, off-road difficulty vs point and go. I'm not concerned about towing or mpg, but at $50k, I'll have to keep this thing forever. My inner-jeep says manual, my inner-truck says manual, my head says auto, the wife says get whatever you want (which is great!!), so I'm looking for the opinion of an expert Jeep guy to possibly sway me in one direction or the other - this decision is keeping me awake at night! lol My primary usage will be DD. I estimate I will off-road 2 Saturdays per month, so, 94% mall crawler, 6% trails and mud. I will probably sell my current CJ-7.

Anyone out there trading in their JL automatic for a JT manual?
I have nothing on your question. Other than it's simply a personal preference . Get what makes you happy. But $50,000 probably isn't going to get you into a JTR.. :grayno:

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I did exactly that, my CJ8 is a manual and I ordered my JKUR as an automatic. I feel that the automatic is better both on and off road. One less thing to think about on difficult lines. But when I want to enjoy a stick, I jump in the CJ. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeepguy225

I did exactly that, my CJ8 is a manual and I ordered my JKUR as an automatic. I feel that the automatic is better both on and off road. One less thing to think about on difficult lines. But when I want to enjoy a stick, I jump in the CJ. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the reply. If I keep my CJ-7, I'm going to go broke buying parts for 2 jeeps! lol. I'm trying to get over the feeling that an automatic will be less of a jeep than a manual. I wonder if there is a support group for this.

For example (just to be funny): If Old Spice made a commercial involving a jeep, it would be a manual jeep. If Dove did that same commercial, it would be an automatic. haha.

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the reply. If I keep my CJ-7, I'm going to go broke buying parts for 2 jeeps! lol. I'm trying to get over the feeling that an automatic will be less of a jeep than a manual. I wonder if there is a support group for this.

For example (just to be funny): If Old Spice made a commercial involving a jeep, it would be a manual jeep. If Dove did that same commercial, it would be an automatic. haha.

In my opinion, an automatic jeep IS less of a jeep I.E.- NOT an option. :twocents:

wjtstudios

Hooked

It’s always a tough financial decision to keep the old CJ and buy a second. But I think you’d regret getting rid of the CJ either way you go.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
In my opinion, an automatic jeep IS less of a jeep I.E.- NOT an option. :twocents:
With this said, if I ever get around to putting a V8 under the hood, I'm about 75% sure I'll be swapping over to an automatic... but at the point, the jeep would be a serious offroad rig, and NOT a daily driver... but as for a daily driven JEEP, I think manual is the only way to go... otherwise, daily a Prius. Haha

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

Top Bottom