Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual or Automatic Gladiator

Manual or Automatic Gladiator

@Wayalife. From your videos it looks like you have a mix of manual and automatics around your garage. How did you tear yourself away from the manual transmission when buying the JK/JL? Or do you purposely keep the CJ around for those days you need to drive a stick shift? Have you driven a manual JL? If so, can you weigh in on your experience with the manual? I've seen a few of your posts on other threads about the automatic being far superior to the manual, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Could you share a few comforting words to help me with a decision in favor of the automatic (or manual)?

I have owned all manual vehicles (2 trucks, 3 jeeps- CJ's and TJ) and am torn 50/50 between a manual and auto when I purchase the JTR (35's to start, 37's with a 5.13 re-gear a few years down the road). Rowing thru the gears in a manual is fun, besides that, an auto beats it 99% of the time today. All of the opinions I read boil down to nostalgia vs technology, more maintenance $$$$ vs minimal maintenance $, off-road difficulty vs point and go. I'm not concerned about towing or mpg, but at $50k, I'll have to keep this thing forever. My inner-jeep says manual, my inner-truck says manual, my head says auto, the wife says get whatever you want (which is great!!), so I'm looking for the opinion of an expert Jeep guy to possibly sway me in one direction or the other - this decision is keeping me awake at night! lol My primary usage will be DD. I estimate I will off-road 2 Saturdays per month, so, 94% mall crawler, 6% trails and mud. I will probably sell my current CJ-7.

Anyone out there trading in their JK/JL automatic for a JT manual?
    Last edited by jeepguy225; 03-29-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Knows a Thing or Two Seahawkfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepguy225 View Post
    @Wayalife. From your videos it looks like you have a mix of manual and automatics around your garage. How did you tear yourself away from the manual transmission when buying the JK/JL? Or do you purposely keep the CJ around for those days you need to drive a stick shift? Have you driven a manual JL? If so, can you weigh in on your experience with the manual? I've seen a few of your posts on other threads about the automatic being far superior to the manual, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. Could you share a few comforting words to help me with a decision in favor of the automatic (or manual)?

I have owned all manual vehicles (2 trucks, 3 jeeps- CJ's and TJ) and am torn 50/50 between a manual and auto when I purchase the JTR (35's to start, 37's with a 5.13 re-gear a few years down the road). Rowing thru the gears in a manual is fun, besides that, an auto beats it 99% of the time today. All of the opinions I read boil down to nostalgia vs technology, more maintenance $$$$ vs minimal maintenance $, off-road difficulty vs point and go. I'm not concerned about towing or mpg, but at $50k, I'll have to keep this thing forever. My inner-jeep says manual, my inner-truck says manual, my head says auto, the wife says get whatever you want (which is great!!), so I'm looking for the opinion of an expert Jeep guy to possibly sway me in one direction or the other - this decision is keeping me awake at night! lol My primary usage will be DD. I estimate I will off-road 2 Saturdays per month, so, 94% mall crawler, 6% trails and mud. I will probably sell my current CJ-7.

Anyone out there trading in their JL automatic for a JT manual?
    I have nothing on your question. Other than it's simply a personal preference . Get what makes you happy. But $50,000 probably isn't going to get you into a JTR..
    Last edited by Seahawkfan; 03-29-2019 at 10:35 AM.

I did exactly that, my CJ8 is a manual and I ordered my JKUR as an automatic. I feel that the automatic is better both on and off road. One less thing to think about on difficult lines. But when I want to enjoy a stick, I jump in the CJ. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkfan View Post
    I have nothing on your question. Other than it's simply a personal preference . Get what makes you happy. But $50,000 probably isn't going to get you into a JTR..
    We will find out the price soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    I did exactly that, my CJ8 is a manual and I ordered my JKUR as an automatic. I feel that the automatic is better both on and off road. One less thing to think about on difficult lines. But when I want to enjoy a stick, I jump in the CJ. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the reply. If I keep my CJ-7, I'm going to go broke buying parts for 2 jeeps! lol. I'm trying to get over the feeling that an automatic will be less of a jeep than a manual. I wonder if there is a support group for this.

For example (just to be funny): If Old Spice made a commercial involving a jeep, it would be a manual jeep. If Dove did that same commercial, it would be an automatic. haha.
    Last edited by jeepguy225; 03-29-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks for the reply. If I keep my CJ-7, I'm going to go broke buying parts for 2 jeeps! lol. I'm trying to get over the feeling that an automatic will be less of a jeep than a manual. I wonder if there is a support group for this.

For example (just to be funny): If Old Spice made a commercial involving a jeep, it would be a manual jeep. If Dove did that same commercial, it would be an automatic. haha.
    In my opinion, an automatic jeep IS less of a jeep I.E.- NOT an option.

It’s always a tough financial decision to keep the old CJ and buy a second. But I think you’d regret getting rid of the CJ either way you go.

2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    In my opinion, an automatic jeep IS less of a jeep I.E.- NOT an option.
    With this said, if I ever get around to putting a V8 under the hood, I'm about 75% sure I'll be swapping over to an automatic... but at the point, the jeep would be a serious offroad rig, and NOT a daily driver... but as for a daily driven JEEP, I think manual is the only way to go... otherwise, daily a Prius. Haha

sent from SPACE!
    DZZ Build thread

Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    as for a daily driven JEEP, I think manual is the only way to go... otherwise, daily a Prius. Haha

sent from SPACE!
    DZZ Build thread
    Kiss my ass wiggles

I love manual .... thats my vote
    Anything can be a hammer if u try hard enough and believe in yourself
    11 jk 2.5 rock crawler w 35...sold
    14 jku oscar mike , 3" evo with dragline flip w/37-...sold
    17 jku sport ....stock/ current ..sold
    08 jkR -current
    18 jl-current

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast