Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Fire 2008 JKUR

Coolant is not flammable. So that's kind of ruled out. Ground straps are not a issue they are used to keep static down for little things like the radio and to keep static from interfering with the comp. I'd seriously look at the trans first then inspect the fuel rail quick disconnect although after a fire the o-ring and lock tabs are probably screwed any way. But I can just about 100 percent guarantee the ground strap had nothing to do with it unless it somehow locked onto the positive terminal where it would pretty much become a heating element and catch the hood liner on fire but that'd be a 1 in a million shot

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ruvicon View Post
    So I mentioned this morning that I had an engine fire on my way to work this morning. It wasnít a huge fire, but flames under the hood arenít a good thing. I quickly extinguished it.
    That sucks! What a mess. Glad youíre ok and got it put out quickly!

Nothing but a Thing Mountainjk10's Avatar
    Thatís awful to see Vic. Hopefully your insurance will take care of everything so itís not a burden on you.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G-mansjk View Post
    Coolant is not flammable. So that's kind of ruled out. Ground straps are not a issue they are used to keep static down for little things like the radio and to keep static from interfering with the comp. I'd seriously look at the trans first then inspect the fuel rail quick disconnect although after a fire the o-ring and lock tabs are probably screwed any way. But I can just about 100 percent guarantee the ground strap had nothing to do with it unless it somehow locked onto the positive terminal where it would pretty much become a heating element and catch the hood liner on fire but that'd be a 1 in a million shot

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    This

I know itís tough to tell now but do you see any bare wires (not ground straps) or missing insulation. Any aftermarket wiring thatís routed through the firewall? A lot of people donít use a rubber grommet where it goes through and tiny vibration and movement scrape the insulation off the wire and shorts it, also any aftermarket wiring thats connected to battery without a fuse at the battery. The only flammable liquids are gas and atf.

Engine Fire 2008 JKUR

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and support. My insurance deductible is $500, I know I donít know what caused the fire yet or the total extent of the damage, but the few items that are burnt I donít believe will add up to that amount.

I was worried that the main harness was toast, but it kinda looks ok. Iíll need to peel off the melted plastic loom for a complete inspection and recover with new loom. Maybe it was my tranny dipstick that popped loose sending ATF on the exhaust??

The fuel rail is completely melted from the middle of the intake and toward the front, but the flames that I saw were all over the firewall and hood insulation. Of course I donít know, but if the fuel rail leaked under pressure, Iíd assume that Iíd have a larger fire than I did, so maybe it was collateral damage?

Iíll dig into it more later today, but my F-150 has an intake manifold leak, which I need to fix since thatís what Iíll be driving in the short-term. Ugggggh...

Last edited by Ruvicon; 03-30-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Well, good news is you have a back up.

I agree with you that the fuel line is probably collateral damage. If it ruptured under pressure, you would have had an inferno.

With the white smoke first, sounding more like transmission related, as others have said.

You were on it to get it put out before it got worse.

Where was your fire extinguisher mounted? Mine is in the back, and I'm thinking that may be too far away in a similar situation.

Best of luck on getting it going.

My extinguisher was in the back too. I popped the hood and saw flames and thought, o shit, ran to the back to grab the extinguisher. I used up the entire FE on this small fire. If it had been larger, the Jeep would have burnt to the ground. Iím getting a larger FE this time and considering adding a 2nd

Nothing but a Thing nmwranglerx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruvicon View Post
    My extinguisher was in the back too. I popped the hood and saw flames and thought, o shit, ran to the back to grab the extinguisher. I used up the entire FE on this small fire. If it had been larger, the Jeep would have burnt to the ground. Iím getting a larger FE this time and considering adding a 2nd

Damn, you were quick. Nicely done. Being under pressure changes everything. Still sucks but glad it wasnít worse. I think Iíll put my FE back in the Jeep.

"all roads lead somewhere" -anonymous

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    I think youíll be surprised as how fast youíll be over $500 if you get it taken care of. Labor alone will be that. Paint damage to hood, cracked and brittle plastic, replacement of harnesses etc. might not be a bad idea to get a quote.

Iím leaning towards having the insurance fix it, but Iím afraid they may total it? Itís a 2008 with 102k miles. I read that other post about the tree harpooning the Jeep and it was totaled. Makes me nervous...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast