Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Fire 2008 JKUR

Quote Originally Posted by nmwranglerx View Post
    Damn, you were quick. Nicely done. Being under pressure changes everything. Still sucks but glad it wasn’t worse. I think I’ll put my FE back in the Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Yes, do it and consider something larger than a 3# FE. Mine emptied fast!

Damn that really sucks. Especially since you just put all that work into it. Glad you're OK as material things can be replaced but health and lives can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruvicon View Post
    I’m leaning towards having the insurance fix it, but I’m afraid they may total it? It’s a 2008 with 102k miles. I read that other post about the tree harpooning the Jeep and it was totaled. Makes me nervous...

Unfortunately you may be right about it being totalled. Fires are never good for vehicles and even a small one can lead to it being totalled. Not to mention all the possible electrical gremlins that may pop up after its repaired. My ex father in law owns a body shop and always said if a vehicle catches fire to let it burn and he'd fight the fire dept off until is gone..haha. That's easier said than done when it's a vehicle like this which had countless hours of work, sweat equity, and memories in it. If it was my sentra or Durango I'd let it go, but my jeep I'd do the same. I usually carry 2 extinguishers on the trail but pull my big one for DD. Looks like I'll be putting it back.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

If they do total it can you buy it back??? It probably would be salvaged title but might be a thought.
    I also have stock bumpers and tires/wheels and springs/shocks if you need them to swap out. Just let me know.

Glad you weren’t hurt. I know somebody mentioned coolant is not flammable, I used to think so too. A few years ago we had a military wrecker catch fire and burn to the ground, I was not there at the time, but on lookers said the coolant was burning. I thought that was BS. The fire investigator listed the fire as a coolant leak that was ignited from spraying on to exhaust.

IMG_1698.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pop2tu View Post
    Glad you weren’t hurt. I know somebody mentioned coolant is not flammable, I used to think so too. A few years ago we had a military wrecker catch fire and burn to the ground, I was not there at the time, but on lookers said the coolant was burning. I thought that was BS. The fire investigator listed the fire as a coolant leak that was ignited from spraying on to exhaust.

IMG_1698.jpg

"Pure" Antifreeze or coolant though? Maybe concentrated coolant is flammable under pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by pop2tu View Post

IMG_1698.jpg

That’s interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Spazbyt View Post
    "Pure" Antifreeze or coolant though? Maybe concentrated coolant is flammable under pressure?
    It would have been (I am assuming, as that is what is normally used in our vehicle) 50/50 mix

Man that's crazy I've been wrenching all my life been through multiple mechanics courses and schools and never heard of that

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Engine Fire 2008 JKUR

Ok, so need some feedback from you guys on my “theory” on how my engine fire started.

Keep in mind that I had just left my house in about 55 degree temps, was about two miles away getting onto the freeway when I noticed a bunch of white smoke coming from behind me. If you look at the picture below, the heater hose has a two inch wide rupture (no visible fire damage) where the Sharpie is. The plastic fuel line was where the RED line is drawn, but it was sagging post-fire as indicated by the BLUE line. I suspect the heater hose blew, melting the plastic fuel line causing it to sag until a small fuel leak started a fire under the hood blowing it back onto the firewall and hood insulation. All the damage is centered in this area. In addition, those Gates heater hoses only have 15k miles on them and the thermostat is a factory unit with 4K miles on it.

Is that a plausible scenario? Or what are your thoughts, ruptured fuel line first?

IMG_8391.jpg

Last edited by Ruvicon; 04-04-2019 at 02:36 AM.

Seems very plausible. Lots of radiant heat in that area.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast