Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Fire 2008 JKUR

Engine Fire 2008 JKUR

So I mentioned this morning that I had an engine fire on my way to work this morning. It wasnít a huge fire, but flames under the hood arenít a good thing. I quickly extinguished it.

Hereís what it looked once the fire was out (there were no flames in this shot, but the fire extinguisher (FE) media on the hood kinda looks like flames).IMG_8341.JPG

Here it is getting towed home:IMG_8344.JPG

Hereís an under hood shot before blowing out that FE crap:IMG_8355.JPGIMG_8357.JPG

The bulk of the damage appears to be inside of this green circled area. I donít think it was a fuel line which was melted. IMG_8363.jpg

I really need to inspect the wiring after removing the melted protective wrap to see if the cause was electrical. The ground strap to the hood was fried near the wiring loom running horizontally across the firewall as was the tranny yellow dip stick, plastic fuel line to front on intake and two plastic vacuum lines running left to right near battery box.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to diagnose the cause or who have seen anything like this?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by Ruvicon; 03-30-2019 at 03:23 AM.

Check your trans fluid if it's low and brown as hell you could have over heated your trans and it burped onto your headers and well got know the rest. The hood ground strap wouldn't be a concern for the fire it could just cause electrical interference due to static that builds up. No check engine lights or warning chimes before the incident?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by G-mansjk View Post
    Check your trans fluid if it's low and brown as hell you could have over heated your trans and it burped onto your headers and well you know the rest. The hood ground strap wouldn't be a concern for the fire it could just cause electrical interference due to static that builds up. No check engine lights or warning chimes before the incident?

That sucks man. But at least you're alright

Knows a Thing or Two Seahawkfan's Avatar
    That blows.. Glad you were not hurt. Hope you find the source. I just recently found that my hood ground strap was just hanging on the fire wall. It appeared to have never been attached to the hood. I attached it to the hood. Hope it's not a problem down the road. Please keep us up to date on your findings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruvicon View Post
    So I mentioned this morning that I had an engine fire on my way to work this morning. It wasnít a huge fire, but flames under the hood arenít a good thing. I quickly extinguished it.

Hereís what it looked once the fire was out (there were no flames in this shot, but the fire extinguisher (FE) media on the hood kinda looks like flames).IMG_8341.JPG

Here it is getting towed home:IMG_8344.JPG

Hereís an under hood shot before blowing out that FE crap:IMG_8355.JPGIMG_8357.JPG

The bulk of the damage appears to be inside of this green circled area. I donít think it was a fuel line which was melted. IMG_8363.jpg

I really need to inspect the wiring after removing the melted protective wrap to see if the cause was electrical. The ground strap to the hood was fried near the wiring loom running horizontally across the firewall as was the tranny yellow dip stick, plastic fuel line to front on intake and two plastic vacuum lines running left to right near battery box.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to diagnose the cause or who have seen anything like this?

Any recent electrical work done?? It surely is pointing in the direction of electrical.

That looks suspiciously like the trans overheating as said above.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkfan View Post
    That blows.. Glad you were not hurt. Hope you find the source. I just recently found that my hood ground strap was just hanging on the fire wall. It appeared to have never been attached to the hood. I attached it to the hood. Hope it's not a problem down the road. Please keep us up to date on your findings.
    The ground strap is to discharge static electricity that builds up on the hood. It being detached for a while shouldnít be a problem.

Iíve been thinking about the chain of events, first I saw a lot of white smoke coming out the back, then after extinguishing the flames, I saw coolant dripping down over/near the passenger side exhaust. Iím now thinking that a coolant leak on the fairly new heater hoses could have stated this? Iíll look closely at the heater hoses tomorrow. Iíll let you guys know what I find.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast