Rock Light electrical Question

Hoosier

Could you run rock lights in series ~ Meaning can you run 1 Positive around the vehicle and ground each light as you go or also run the ground around @ the same time and tap into it @ each location ? I do plan on running a relay & fuse between them. It seams most run individual Pos/Neg wires from each light to 1 main at the relay and end up with a good amount of wires to connect @ the relay. Any draw backs to running it in series and can it be done that way ?

BaddestCross

Could you run rock lights in series ~ Meaning can you run 1 Positive around the vehicle and ground each light as you go or also run the ground around @ the same time and tap into it @ each location ? I do plan on running a relay & fuse between them. It seams most run individual Pos/Neg wires from each light to 1 main at the relay and end up with a good amount of wires to connect @ the relay. Any draw backs to running it in series and can it be done that way ?
As long as you size the wires, switch, and fuse according to the load. I ran mine in series like you describe and have no problem.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Either way is perfectly fine. I always run a dedicated ground to my toys just for simple troubleshooting reasons, only have two connections to look at if there’s ever an issue, also my Jeep is rusty so a lot of times it’s just easier.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

That’s still a parallel connection. You don’t want to run them in series. A true series connection will split the voltage between how ever many lights you use. For example, two lights wired in series would only get six volts each, 4 lights = 3 volts each, etc. You’ll be good to go doing what you described. LED’s don’t draw much but still make sure you use the appropriate sized conductor.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Use 1 positive for all and a dedicated ground for each. Only fuse as close to power source as possible. If you run series 1 positive and 1 ground for entire circuit you will have a hard time troubleshooting if you have a problem.

Top Bottom