Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Far to Air Down

How Far to Air Down

So, I've got 17X9 Level 8 Bully Pro wheels (which claim to have an extra lip to help secure the tire on the rim). I currently run BFG KM-2 35X12.5 tires at 15 psi, on some pretty gnarly trails, and have never thrown a bead. Got 4.88 gears and am ready to go to 37. Considering STT Pros at 12.5 or 13.5 and wondering "how low can I go" and feel relatively secure I won't throw a bead on my next ledge or waterfall? Any suggestions will be appreciated and considered.

I aired my 35in dick cepeks down to 10 or 12 on 16x8s and never had a problem. Just got 37x13.5 stt pros on 17x9s and plan on doing the same 10 to 12...

Nothing but a Thing QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    I run 37x13.5 STT Pros on 17x9 procomp aluminum wheels. I run 12psi on a regular basis, I have run 10 on occasion when the trail warrants, and have accidentally hit 8psi a couple times without ever popping a bead.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing Saharaunlmtd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeB-JKURX View Post
    So, I've got 17X9 Level 8 Bully Pro wheels (which claim to have an extra lip to help secure the tire on the rim). I currently run BFG KM-2 35X12.5 tires at 15 psi, on some pretty gnarly trails, and have never thrown a bead. Got 4.88 gears and am ready to go to 37. Considering STT Pros at 12.5 or 13.5 and wondering "how low can I go" and feel relatively secure I won't throw a bead on my next ledge or waterfall? Any suggestions will be appreciated and considered.
    I too have wondered about that extra lip and if it would allow lower pressures.

IMG_9772.jpg

Doesn’t seem to be much info on it. Does it work or marketing hype?

Quote Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd View Post

IMG_9772.jpg

Nearly all wheels have that bead seat lip. They might be slightly bigger to help hold the bead but not much. Old Land Rover wheels had some that were raised quite a bit. They will scare the shit out of you airing them up the first time. When the bead finally seats they really pop! I think Interco had some that were raised a bit also. Ugly ass wheels though so hardly any sold.

Nothing but a Thing Saharaunlmtd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Nearly all wheels have that bead seat lip. They might be slightly bigger to help hold the bead but not much. Old Land Rover wheels had some that were raised quite a bit. They will scare the shit out of you airing them up the first time. When the bead finally seats they really pop! I think Interco had some that were raised a bit also. Ugly ass wheels though so hardly any sold.
    Yeah, it does look like other wheels which makes me wonder about their claim, “a specially designed bead hump to keep the tire on the wheel during your off-road adventures.”

IMG_9772.jpg

Looks like hype to me.

I used to run 35-12.50 and 37-12.50 on 15x10 Ultra wheels. I would run 10 and sometimes 8 without too much trouble. I would get dirt and small rocks stuck in the bead sometimes that would cause slow leaks, but never blew a bead. I also drove accordingly.

Not saying you would never loose a bead, and you should be able to air it up again if it happens.

How Far to Air Down

Yeah, it does look like other wheels which makes me wonder about their claim, “a specially designed bead hump to keep the tire on the wheel during your off-road adventures.”

They might it’s just hard to see in a photo. Stock car racing wheels like Bassets have the same thing. You will know when you air them up. They will snap on to the bead really hard. Use lots of slick or soap.

My DC-1s (and 2) have the same. It's a bitch to get the tires off by hand and it took quite a bit of pressure from my nitrogen tank to set the beads.

I can run down to 10psi with no problem. Haven't tried to go any lower since I have a split in my sidewall that worries me. 😂

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Quote Originally Posted by BaddestCross View Post
    My DC-1s (and 2) have the same. It's a bitch to get the tires off by hand and it took quite a bit of pressure from my nitrogen tank to set the beads.

I can run down to 10psi with no problem. Haven't tried to go any lower since I have a split in my sidewall that worries me. 😂

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    You would only have to change them half as much if you would just by New tires instead of used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast