Any Tips for sand/driving on the beach

Lss Broly jku

I Plan on taking the jk out to pismo beach this weekend just seeking any tips to avoid getting stuck. Thanks in advance

Running a 2.5 lift 33’s

Sharkey

Word Ninja
6-8 might be pushing it without beadlocks. I’m sure it could be done, but it would make me nervous. I definitely agree though, air down for the bigger footprint and stay in gears that allow you to keep the tires moving.

Brute

Hooked
6-8 might be pushing it without beadlocks. I’m sure it could be done, but it would make me nervous. I definitely agree though, air down for the bigger footprint and stay in gears that allow you to keep the tires moving.

Just don’t turn...

jdofmemi

Steady motion. Ease into your take off to prevent wheel spin. Easy turns, and if you spin, keep the front wheels straight so you are not trying to go and turn at the same time.
Roll to a stop instead of mashing the brake.
Start by driving where others are not having any trouble until you get comfortable, then work into the softer areas after you get some experience.
Go prepared, with shovel, jack, straps, recovery points, possibly recovery boards, and a compressor to air back up with.
Go with other people, preferably experienced ones.

Most important, bring a good attitude and have fun, even if you get stuck.

Brute

Hooked
I had a friend of mine show me an interesting trick in the sand...I was in my Brute about 5 years ago and I was aired down to 12 psi (37” Toyo OC MT) and he had me face a sand ledge and told me to climb it...I got up partway and started to dig in; I backed down and let out more air to 10 psi...I did the same thing, started to dig in again...I backed down, aired down to 8 psi and tried to climb the ledge again...which I did easily. It was just a 4 psi adjustment made all the difference for my rig & weight to float on the sand...

jesse3638

Hooked
Going off of what Brute and Sharkey said. Air down as low as you can without losing the bead. In the Jeep 10-12 without bead locks shouldn't be a problem. You can go lower but don't turn sharp.
Use large wide sweeping turns. Momentum is your friend. If you start to spin and dig in stop right away. A lot of times if your getting stuck a couple people pushing is all it takes to get you back up on top of the sand and moving.

Brute

Hooked
Going off of what Brute and Sharkey said. Air down as low as you can without losing the bead. In the Jeep 10-12 without bead locks shouldn't be a problem. You can go lower but don't turn sharp.
Use large wide sweeping turns. Momentum is your friend. If you start to spin and dig in stop right away. A lot of times if your getting stuck a couple people pushing is all it takes to get you back up on top of the sand and moving.

Roger that...the biggest part is if you lose traction or flotation, stop before you dig down to the framerails...

bmkrinne

Roger that...the biggest part is if you lose traction or flotation, stop before you dig down to the framerails...

Exactly!

When you do stop in loose sand, remember to start out very gently. Don’t gun it or try to accelerate from a stop, just let the Jeep ease itself up on top of the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
And if all hell breaks loose and you get buried, remember that you have removable carpet. Although far from ideal, your mats and carpet can be placed at the front edge of your tires as a traction pad to get up on the sand and moving again.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Invest in a good kinetic rope. Bubba rope, voodoo rope, freedoms rope etc. I recently added one to my recovery gear and have used the shit out of it. It amazes me how well a relatively light vehicle can get a heavy one that is buried to pop right out.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Air down don’t slam on your brakes unless you have to always park facing down hill. Keep your distance between other vehicles never know what they will do. Oh and AIR DOWN! I’ve even used 4L in drive out at Glamis seems to work better sometimes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom