Rattle Free Tire Carrier, looking for opinions. PSC, Expedition one, Genright?

Mountain_Bound

Hey all, recently purchased a 16' JKUR HR that has some aftermarket parts on it already and I'm tired of the rattly tire carrier. It has the Smittybilt SRC oversized tire carrier and its horrendous with how much it rattles and we haven't even been off-road yet. Been on the tire carrier hunt for the past week or so and seems like so many options. Seems like body mounted carriers or a carrier that ties into the rear bumper would be the way to go for support. Been looking at tire carriers and tire carrier/bumper setups.

I really love the look of the Genright tire carrier, seems like a setup like this would definitely be rattle free since it's not attached to the tailgate one bit. I could also run any bumper I like with this setup. Not sure if I like how this style of carrier attaches to the body. Not sure how well the rear corners would do if the carrier caught an edge dropping of a ledge or such. Obviously I don't plan on backing into anything but in the case of getting rear ended or if you did back into a tree or such I would imagine the body damage of the rear corners could be bad. I've seen the Evo carrier but not looking at replacing rear corners yet.

Poison Spyder offers their Rock Brawler II bumper and tire carrier. Looks to offer pretty solid features and construction.

Expedition One trail series rear bumper with tire carrier - looks pretty solid as well.

JCR Shield carrier with Crusader bumper - I like the diagonal hi-lift jack mount option for this carrier.

Any input for a rattle free solution? Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Owen19

I have the genright carrier for 2 years now. I have 37's at the moment and I still have room on the carrier. No rattles or funny noises. But the two hand/three step process in opening it to get to the rear hatch is getting old.

I love my PS body mount carrier. Easier to get big heavy tires up on because I don’t have to line up three studs. Mounts it up high and it allows me to run a bumper if I choose (currently running without and love it) also has provisions for rotopax etc. And once you get the latch adjusted and set right, it’s rattle free. Haven’t had to adjust it in two years.
Install is a bit tedious but not difficult at all.

IMG_0852.JPG

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
The Genright is great as far as no rattles. I run 37s. You get used to the multi step tailgate operation. As far as the corners holding up.... I got mine used from someone who backed into a tree and crumpled the corner. Not the tire carriers fault but this particular person decided to go with a different option after the incident.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
I have an ACE standalone Carrier, No rattles on mine, but some other members have had issues.

Attachments

• E1D3E897-E412-462E-B93B-A9B699E71D8F.jpg
    E1D3E897-E412-462E-B93B-A9B699E71D8F.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 138

Spazbyt

Hooked
I have a Lod Destroyer and was a little nervous that all the extra parts that allowed it to detach from the tail gate with a quick disconnect would be prone to rattles but its very solid.

Mountain_Bound

I have the genright carrier for 2 years now. I have 37's at the moment and I still have room on the carrier. No rattles or funny noises. But the two hand/three step process in opening it to get to the rear hatch is getting old.

I could see that, definitely adds a few more steps.

Evo Hinge mounted tire carrier
X2 on Evo’s tire carrier

It's a nice looking tire carrier for sure. I worried that the way these type of carriers mount that you're not really pulling any weight off the tailgate. Maybe it just helps since some of that weight is transferred to the hinges?

I love my PS body mount carrier. Easier to get big heavy tires up on because I don’t have to line up three studs. Mounts it up high and it allows me to run a bumper if I choose (currently running without and love it) also has provisions for rotopax etc. And once you get the latch adjusted and set right, it’s rattle free. Haven’t had to adjust it in two years.
Install is a bit tedious but not difficult at all

I was checking this one out last night, looks like a solid unit. After watching the install though I wasn't sure if I wanted to go through all of that. Like you mention, it's a little tedious.

The Genright is great as far as no rattles. I run 37s. You get used to the multi step tailgate operation. As far as the corners holding up.... I got mine used from someone who backed into a tree and crumpled the corner. Not the tire carriers fault but this particular person decided to go with a different option after the incident

Yea ouch! That's what I worry about on that one. I'd say odds are a person would never have any issues but that one time, the damage could be substantial

LOD bumper mounted. No problems. No rattles.

Nice. Is this one that is 100% mounted to the bumper and not tied into the tailgate?

maskale

Warn has one, it goes with their Elite rear bumper. It’s also one handed operation. The tire carrier opens with the gate, but is 100% supported by the frame. There is also an adjustment for how tight it closes against the gate, this basically eliminates the rattle.

jkbarnett

I’ve had my Expedition One rear bumper/tire carrier for about 6 years. It’s solid and has saved my rear quarters several times. I have the fuel carrier setup up too, two 4 gal gas containers.

Benito

Caught the Bug
It's a nice looking tire carrier for sure. I worried that the way these type of carriers mount that you're not really pulling any weight off the tailgate. Maybe it just helps since some of that weight is transferred to the hinges?

The Evo carrier actually transfers all of the weight to the hinges. Once you have the new brackets installed and the tire carrier installed, you could actually not run a tailgate and just run the carrier, the tail gate mounts to the new carrier. Holding the carrier in the closed position would be a different story since you wouldn’t have a latch. The only issue is that if you back into something with tire and you do it hard enough, you will crush in the tailgate, and if you get hung up on the rear tire when coming off of a ledge, you will bend the two piece bracket that actually mount the tire to carrier, but the carrier will hold up.

IMG_4596.jpg

Top Bottom