Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1964 m38a1

What a great way to bring them into the Jeep life. Keep us posted on the build!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

3B544DE0-D25C-4D38-9FEA-ACAA40F51F3E.jpg

In 1972 my dad asked me if I would like to learn a few things about cars when I was 12, of course I said yes and two years and $500.00 later I earned from mowing lawns, cleaning the ducks from the last hunt etc. we went out and found a 1942 Ford GPW. We spent almost every night and weekend with a three inch thick manual, removing and rebuilding pretty much every component. It got me through High School and the Fire academy. Those were the best memories and I think of them often, driving his old 1980 CJ7 and my 09 JK. Congratulations on your new adventure, take lots of memory building pictures together, unfortunately this is the only one I still have! I am going to love seeing this unfold, good job dad

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockingK View Post
    3B544DE0-D25C-4D38-9FEA-ACAA40F51F3E.jpg

In 1972 my dad asked me if I would like to learn a few things about cars when I was 12, of course I said yes and two years and $500.00 later I earned from mowing lawns, cleaning the ducks from the last hunt etc. we went out and found a 1942 Ford GPW. We spent almost every night and weekend with a three inch thick manual, removing and rebuilding pretty much every component. It got me through High School and the Fire academy. Those were the best memories and I think of them often, driving his old 1980 CJ7 and my 09 JK. Congratulations on your new adventure, take lots of memory building pictures together, unfortunately this is the only one I still have! I am going to love seeing this unfold, good job dad
    That’s awesome. My Dad didn’t know beans about working on cars.

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Where is the GPW today?...that thing is awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    Where is the GPW today?...that thing is awesome...
    Thanks, sold it back in the day to a neighbor for his Grandson, lasted about a week and he totaled it two blocks away from my house hitting a concrete bridge. Broke my heart. I’ve been looking for years for the one but so far, no luck😢.

Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    That’s awesome. My Dad didn’t know beans about working on cars.

I am as novice as they come with automobile knowledge. Thank God for Youtube videos and forums.

Well, I have successfully dismantled the Jeep to start the resto. I think for my sanity and my son’s mortality I am going keep some creature comforts included, like roll bar and full back seats. Mounting these seats will be interesting, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I pulled the tub off and cleaned up the frame and engine. I threw a coat of primer on the frame and high temp on the engine, transmission and transfer case.
    58905393994__CF5909E7-56AD-4995-BBF8-A3947F8B5A79.jpg

I found the source of my smoking rear wheel. I threw the axle bearing, so I will need to rebuild it.

There are a few holes in the tub that need some attention via welder. Any suggestions on an economical MIG welder? I plan on teaching myself, so this should be fun.

Definitely a good project to test my patience and skills.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12