Relocating the winch solenoid to the engine bay? Bad idea?

sm31

I'm in the process of refurbishing a Warn 8274... At some point in the winches history, the original solenoid was replaced with a solid state solenoid. It's a good quality part but it won't fit in the Warn "box" that typically comes with these winches. In order to clean up the look, I was thinking of relocating the solenoid to the engine bay, and utilizing a remote winch controller. However, I haven't really seen others doing this. Just want to make sure there isn't something that I'm missing (it happens a lot with me...).

Thanks!

My control box is mounted under hood above my fender. It has the stock remote attachment point still on the box and I also installed a connection inside the cab so I can hook my remote up in either location. Keeps the solenoid box out of the direct elements.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I always loved the look of the box. I was able to screw mine into the box and also used a wireless controller and added it into the box. I've also seen someone get longer motor screws and put the solenoid on the end of the motor. You could always put it under the hood too, seen a couple people do that also.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sm31

I like the box too! I just can't think of a way to get it to work with this solenoid. I borrowed a box from a friend's 8274 and it just didn't fit. Plus I'd have to buy a new box, along with the plate (since mine doesn't have one). Probably $60+ just for the parts.

Snboarder113: Thanks for the reply! This is what I had in mind as well!

maskale

Even if you put the contactor or under the hood I would still put the box on the winch, and u can still control it from the plug on the box. The box is part of that iconic winch.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I like the box too! I just can't think of a way to get it to work with this solenoid. I borrowed a box from a friend's 8274 and it just didn't fit. Plus I'd have to buy a new box, along with the plate (since mine doesn't have one). Probably $60+ just for the parts.

Snboarder113: Thanks for the reply! This is what I had in mind as well!
I bought an aluminum box off ebay. You can fab some kind of plate if capable. I'll snap a picture of how I did it later.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sm31

Even if you put the contactor or under the hood I would still put the box on the winch, and u can still control it from the plug on the box. The box is part of that iconic winch.

Good point! I do love the look of it. And my winch motor isn't exactly pretty. That metal box is really sharp. If I can relocate the solenoid wherever I want then I'm sure I can install the box.

Lol... maybe I should just do both. Relocate the solenoid AND install a box. Found the plate for $21 but I could probably fab something out of sheet metal easily if the solenoid is not mounted on it. That metal Warn box looks incredible!

Top Bottom