VIDEO - JL JOURNAL : BOMBS AWAY - EVO Bomber Rocker Guards w/ Skins INSTALLATION

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While there was once a time when Cindy and I were a big fan of body mounted rock sliders or rocker guards, that was a very long time ago and well before there was a JK Wrangler or now, a JL Wrangler. In fact, the last time we ran a set was back when we still had our old TJ Wrangler and mainly because it was in fact, a superior way to go. The sheet metal on the TJ body was thick and strong and installing protection on the body as opposed to the frame would help provide the most ground clearance you could get along the sides of your Jeep. Now, what changed all that was Jeep's need to make a lighter weight Wrangler and when the JK was introduced in 2007, they helped make that possible by making its body panels with much thinner steel. Over the years, what we've seen is that body mounted rock sliders actually caused damage to the body after taking on a hard hit and in some cases, to the point where opening doors became difficult if not impossible. Of course, the JL Wrangler has body panels that are just as thin if not thinner and clearly, that hasn't help anything. But, for all the benefits you can get from body mounted rocker guards, we found ourselves tempted to give it another go and did so with a set of EVO Bomber Rocker Guards.

In addition to looking really sharp, what we liked about the EVO Bomber Rocker Guards was the fact that you can get them with optional armored skins that allow you to tie the two together. By doing this, the load from a hard hit can be distributed across the entire rocker guard and body. And, if ever in the future we decided that they just weren't for us, they can easily be replaced with frame mounted rocker guards and new skins that bolt up right up to the body and in the exact same way. With all that said, this episode of the JL JOURNAL will show you what it takes to get set of EVO Bomber Rocker Guards installed on a Jeep JL Wrangler and we hope you find it to be useful.

What to Buy
EVO MFG Bomber Rockers w/ ROCKSKINS : https://amzn.to/2OhfM8w
Astro 1442 Nutsert Tool : https://amzn.to/2I1S5AE
Milwaukee 2763-20 M18 Fuel 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench : https://amzn.to/2WU3QfN

What You Will Need
• 1/2, 9/16" Wrench & Socket
• 18, 19mm Socket
• 3/16" Allen Wrench
• Ratchet
• Ratchet Extension
• Torque Wrench
• Floor Jack
• Hand Drill
• Center Punch
• Step Bit Drill Bit
• Safety Glasses
• Nutsert Tool
• Pry Bar
• Hammer
• Painters Tape
• Touch-Up Paint
• Red Loctite

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Those look great on there.

All these install videos really are great for a new jeeper. Where were you when I installed my first lift? Might not have taken me a week. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Great video as always. Super helpful. I’ve been looking at these as a replacement for my terrorflex rock slid....uh magnets and these have been on the radar. I need something with somewhat of a step because I almost always have my kids with me in the Jeep but my current sliders are garbage... oh wait duh... terrorflex. So yeah, super helpful in my decision making. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Those looks great!

Thank you :)

They turned out great!

Thanks! It was a lot of work but well worth it I think.

Looks sharp! All of the labor makes it all with it.

Thanks. There was a lot to be done for sure but definitely worth it :)

Those look great on there.

All these install videos really are great for a new jeeper. Where were you when I installed my first lift? Might not have taken me a week. Lol

:cheesy: Back then, I was still writing write-ups. Now, everything is on YouTube :crazyeyes:

Great video as always. Super helpful. I’ve been looking at these as a replacement for my terrorflex rock slid....uh magnets and these have been on the radar. I need something with somewhat of a step because I almost always have my kids with me in the Jeep but my current sliders are garbage... oh wait duh... terrorflex. So yeah, super helpful in my decision making. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I think you'd be happy with these :)

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Great video and those look really nice. I have a stupid question. Do they move with the body on the mount? (Doesn’t the body move on the frame a bit like on the Jk?)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great Job!! Thanks.

Glad you like what you see :)

Those look really good! It’s nice to know you can always swap over to a frame mounted slider if you wanted to.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Honestly, as much as I like the look of these, I don't know if I would have done it if I couldn't change out to frame mounted sliders in the future.

Great video and those look really nice. I have a stupid question. Do they move with the body on the mount? (Doesn’t the body move on the frame a bit like on the Jk?)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

The rocker guards are tied into the body mounts. They are isolators and so the rocker guards move with the body.

Looks Sharp! Curious to see how they hold up on the big rocks when a pro (Cindy) gets behind the wheel. [emoji41]

LOL - hope they hold up as I like the way they look. :crazyeyes:

deezus

I've talked to Kingsize about these and was told if I wanted sliders for rock crawling to wait for the weld ons. Are you worried they will flex into the body?
Also how are they as a step?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom