Cobra 29 CB Radio Jeep JK Wrangler Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Over the years, I have installed and tested out a few different CB Radios of different makes and models and while they all did the job, they all lack options that I wanted and their performance was always just okay at best. In fact, some were difficult to hear, a couple were temperamental and others simply died after a short amount of use. Needless to say, when it came time to look for a new CB Radio for our Orange Jeep JK Wrangler, I decided to do some research and if necessary, spend a bit more money to get a better product. And, what I finally ended up getting was a Cobra 29, or more specifically, the LTD BT version of it.

In addition to coming complete with a PA and having adjustments for RF Gain, Delta Tune and Dynamic, the Cobra 29 LTD BT also features a built in SWR meter and Bluetooth system which allows you to sync it up your smart phone. As far as performance goes, this is definitely the single best CB radio that I’ve ever owned. It sounds great, it broadcasts to everyone else amazingly well and so far, I haven’t had any problems with it.

Because of it’s size, there really isn’t a whole lot of places that you can install a Cobra 29 in a 2007-10 Jeep JK Wrangler especially if you don’t have a sport cage installed. This write-up will show you how I installed mine on top of the dash over the center console.

What you will need
• 7,10mm Socket & Wrench
• Trim Panel Tool
• Flathead Screwdriver
• Phillips Head Screwdriver
• Ratchet
• 3" Ratchet Drive Extension
• 14 Gauge Red Insulated Wire
• 14 Gauge Black Insulated Wire
• Soldering Gun or Iron
• Solder & Flux
• Solderless Wire Connectors
• Solderless Ring Connector (LG)
• Solderless Connector Pliers
• Wire Cutters
• Dremel w/Cutting Bit
• XACTO Knife
• Tape
• Coat Hanger
• Ruler
• Pencil

Installation
This is a shot of everything that you will get with your Cobra 29 LTD BT CB Radio. The antenna coax cable you see on the left was purchased separately. I already had an extra Firestik II Antenna and so there was no need for me to purchase another.
main.php

1. The top plate on your center console is held in place by 2 trim tabs which are located near the windshield. Use a trim panel tool to pry the rear corners up and free and then remove the top plate. NOTE: If your Jeep JK Wrangler came equipped with a navigation compass, you will need to detach the compass sensor from the bottom of this top plate.
main.php

2. Loosely install the mounting bracket to the Cobra 29 using just the mounting screws.
main.php

3. Place the Cobra 29 on top of your center console top plate and using a ruler, position it so that it’s centered. NOTE: Again, if your Jeep JK Wrangler came equipped with a navigation compass, try to make sure that the speaker on the CB isn’t positioned directly over where the compass sensor is normally located. The magnet in the speaker will effect how the sensor works.
main.php

4. Once you have positioned your Cobra 29 to where you want it to be mounted, use a pencil to mark the mounts location as shown.
main.php

5. Remove the Cobra 29 from the mounting bracket. Then place the bracket back on top of your center console top plate, use it as a template and locate the points where you will secure it in place with screws.
main.php

6. Using the screws and spoked washers provided, secure the Cobra 29 mounting bracket to the top plate of your Jeep JK Wrangler’s center console top plate. A phillips head screwdriver will be needed for this job.
main.php

7. Using a Dremel with a cutting bit or an XACTO knife, notch out the back edge of the center console top plate (the side which sits closest to the windshield) so that both the power and antenna cables can be routed through it..
main.php

8. Place your Cobra 29 over the mounting bracket and slip the foam washers in between it and the bracket as shown.
main.php

9. Secure the Cobra 29 onto the mounting bracket using the mounting screws provided. A small coin like a penny or nickel will help you to tighten up the screws.
main.php

10. Open the passenger side door and remove the air vent baffles by rotating the outer ring and pulling it out as shown. Set the baffles aside.
main.php

11. Reach through the air vent hole and push out the side panel of your dash as shown. Remove the panel and set it aside.
main.php

12. Open your glove box, press in the sides of it as shown and then remove it.
main.php

13. Using a 7mm socket or driver, remove the 2 screws located at the top of your center console face plate
main.php

14. Using a 7mm socket or driver, remove the 2 screws located on top and at the back of your head unit.
main.php

15. As you did in step #10, remove the air vent baffles by rotating the outer ring and pulling it out as shown. Set the baffles aside.
main.php

16. Using a trim panel tool, pry off the lower face plate on your center console as shown.
main.php

17. Using a 7mm socket or driver, remove the 2 screws located just below the accessories power sockets as shown.
main.php

18. The center console face trim is held in place by trim tabs. Grab the top of it and carefully pull it forward to free it from the upper tabs.
main.php

19. Grab the center console face trim from the bottom and at the vent holes and pull forward to free it completely from the remaining trim tabs.
main.php

20. Using a 7mm socket or driver, remove the 4 screws securing the front of your head unit in place.
main.php

21. Grab the head unit and pull it forward a bit so that you can gain access behind it.
main.php

22. Take the power cord that came with your Cobra 29 and your CB antenna coax cable and route them behind the dash through the opening on the passenger side of Jeep as shown.
main.php

23. Route the power cord all the way to the center console and pull it up behind where the head unit is located.
main.php

24. Route the CB antenna coax cable all the way to the center console and pull it up behind where the head unit is located as well.
main.php

25. Push your head unit back in and secure it in place using the factory screws. A 7mm socket or driver will be needed for this job.
main.php

26. Carefully snap your center console face trim back in place and then secure it to the dash using the factory screws. A 7mm socket or driver will be needed for this job.
main.php

27. Place the center console top plate with Cobra 29 mounted on top of your dash but do not snap it in place just yet.
main.php

28. Plug in the power cord on to the back of the Cobra 29.
main.php

29. Secure the CB antenna coax cable to the back of the Cobra 29.
main.php

30. Making sure that both the power cord and coax cable are routing through the notch you made back in step #7, carefully snap the top plate in place as shown.
main.php

31. Push a straightened out wire coat hanger all the way through the foam filled hole located on your Jeep’s firewall next to the door jam as shown in this pic.
main.php

32. Take the wire coat hanger now sticking out from under the cowl and tape wire that you plan on using for power to the end of it as shown.
main.php

33. Back inside your Jeep, slowly pull the wire hanger back through the firewall hole until the wire come all the way through. Remove the tape and coat hanger.
main.php

34. Using a soldering gun or solderless connector, attach the wire you just pulled through the fire wall onto the red wire of your Cobra 29 power cord.
main.php

35. Attach a solderless ring connector to the black wire of your Cobra 29 power cord as shown.
main.php

36. Using a 10mm socket, remove the ground nut located on the passenger side foot well of your Jeep and just under the speaker as shown. Attach the black ground wire with ring connector to the stud and secure it in place using the factory nut.
main.php

37. Reinstall the side panel of your dash as shown.
main.php

38. Back outside, attach a solderless ring connector to the red wire you had pulled through the firewall back in step #31-#33
main.php

39. Using a 10mm socket remove the nut on top of the positive terminal on your battery, attach the red wire ring connector on to the stud and secure it back in place using the factory nut.
main.php

Coax Antenna Cable Installation
1. Using a trim panel tool, pry up the plastic trim running along the side of your Jeep JK Wrangler’s passenger side front door.
main.php

2. Run your CB antenna coax cable underneath the plastic trim as shown in this pic and then push the trim back in place.
main.php

3. Continue to route the CB antenna coax cable towards the back of your Jeep and tuck it behind the plastic trim as you go. When you get to the rear door, there will be no more plastic trim so all you have to do is tuck the coax cable underneath the carpeting all the way to the back.
main.php

4. If you have a means to mount your CB antenna to the tailgate or tire carrier of your your Jeep, open up the tailgate and then carefully separate the tabs securing the top half of the plastic interior trim piece by pulling down on it as shown.
main.php

5. Carefully pry the tailgate vent grill from the left hand side as shown as this is the side where the trim tabs are located.
main.php

6. Route your CB antenna coax cable along the back of your Jeep’s tail gate so that it will be hidden once the plastic trim is reinstalled.
main.php

7. On the outside of your Jeep's tailgate, pull out the rubber grommet that has the 3rd brake light wiring harness going through it.
main.php

8. Pull your CB antenna coax cable through the hole in your Jeep’s tailgate and route it to your antenna mount.
main.php

9. Reinstall the plastic trim back onto the back of your tailgate.
main.php

10. Follow the instructions that came with your Cobra 29 and make sure tune your antenna before using it.

After Shots
main.php

main.php

main.php

That’s all there is to it. Your Jeep is now equipped with one of the best CB radios that I’ve ever used and something that every Jeeper should have in their Jeep.

marcus0765

Great write up!

Will be putting a CB in my JK this spring and was looking for advice on what to buy and best way to mount it. Back in the late 80's I had a Toyota Pickup and mounted my radio's (Gallaxy Mirrage CB & a dual band 2m/440 Yaesu) on the glove box door. That way it's not so visible and you don't have to take the dash apart.
Haven't used a CB in so long I don't even know whats out there! Though I still have a Uniden Grant XL in a storage bin and may just use that. One of the best (legal) radios made back in the day. I think they might still make them.
I'll check out the 29 LTD, I do like the black faceplate. It'll match my black interier perfect!

Last edited:

HoosierWolf

The Bluetooth Cobra 29 is what I settled on after doing a bit of research.

I do have a couple questions about it though. How well does the Bluetooth sync with your smartphone? Can you sync with more than 1 phone at a time? I'm thinking it would be nice for both my phone and the better half's phone to both sync.

Last edited:

orngcrushrgrl

I'm just wondering, (and yes, this is a dumb girl question) why would you need to sync your smartphone to your cb? Is it just for added assurance if you fry your hand mic somehow? Are there extra features I somehow missed as far as pairing them?

HoosierWolf

I'm just wondering, (and yes, this is a dumb girl question) why would you need to sync your smartphone to your cb? Is it just for added assurance if you fry your hand mic somehow? Are there extra features I somehow missed as far as pairing them?

That's actually pretty close to what my wife said when I told her why I wanted it. So you are not alone in your thinking.

Below is from the Cobra.com website (and I just answered my own question. It is set up to allow two phones so that driving teams can both use it...Makes sense.)

https://cobra.com/detail/model-29-l...display-and-bluetooth-wireless-technology.cfm

"The 29 LX BT features Advanced Bluetooth® Wireless Technology connectivity in a modern aesthetic design with a selectable LCD color display allowing incoming text and voice caller ID on incoming calls ensuring driver safety and convenience. Other advanced Bluetooth features include, Address Book sync, Dual Point Bluetooth for Team drivers, A2DP audio streaming for text-to-speech processing allowing drivers to hear e-mails over the CB radio speaker with a text-to-speech downloaded on the phone For hands-free operation, the radio features external microphone 9included), and transmitter jacks to comply with hand-free legislation."

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The bluetooth only works with one phone and for the most part, it just allows you to use your CB like a phone. This is a nice option if you live in a state where talking on a phone while driving is illegal as talking on a CB is not.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
The bluetooth only works with one phone and for the most part, it just allows you to use your CB like a phone. This is a nice option if you live in a state where talking on a phone while driving is illegal as talking on a CB is not.

talking on a CB is not :thinking::idontknow:

Funny I am going to put CB in wife BMW so I can talk to her!!:cheesy:

Xodius

Banned

Never thought of that. Good idea.

Rebel JK

Very nice write up. A picture is worth a thousand words! I'm looking forward to the next one. Im still deciding on direct connect to battery like you did, or hit an accesory switchleg so the key has to be on.

serielle

The timing on this was perfect!. I bought my CB yesterday and came online today to see if there was an installation writeup. My model is almost the same one (no bluetooth I already have hands free phone in the jeep). I was wondering if people thought getting an external speaker was good. I'd rather install it all at once.

Prime8

Hey Eddie, I will be getting the Rock Hard cage in the near future. Is there a better place to mount the cb when you have a sport cage?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The timing on this was perfect!. I bought my CB yesterday and came online today to see if there was an installation writeup. My model is almost the same one (no bluetooth I already have hands free phone in the jeep). I was wondering if people thought getting an external speaker was good. I'd rather install it all at once.

The speaker that comes with the Cobra 29 is good and all that you need.

Hey Eddie, I will be getting the Rock Hard cage in the near future. Is there a better place to mount the cb when you have a sport cage?

Oh yeah, click on this link and scroll down for details.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...llation-Write-Up&p=27808&viewfull=1#post27808

caveman8fb

Step 31 saved me all kinds of time tonight, I wasn't sure how'd I'd get to the battery. Great write-up. :thumb:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Im going to install my Cobra 75 soon on a rugged ridge mount and have a quick question....

I have researched the "how tos" and some people have been saying that you need to run an extra ground to the mount itself. Do you think this is something I should do? You obviously have a functioning CB, so Im curious as to the necessity of it. Unlike you, I will be using (for now until I get my rear bumper) a rugged ridge mount that bolts onto the OEM tire carrier. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You may need to. It depends on where you mount the antenna and the jeep. I know 10frank9 had to ground his from a tailgate mount but I don't with the same mount.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
You may need to. It depends on where you mount the antenna and the jeep. I know 10frank9 had to ground his from a tailgate mount but I don't with the same mount.

Ok. Maybe I'll just do it to save myself the headache of doing it later. Do I ground the mount itself by putting a ground wire to a bolt that mounts it to the tire carrier or do I ground this thing....
Firestik_K4R__44929.1342815640.120.120.jpg

Top Bottom