Pro Comp Trilogy Beadlock Review

sm31

I've never really done one of these before but I thought I would share my experiences & observations from installing a set of the (relatively) new Pro Comp Trilogy beadlocks recently. Was planning on the XD231's but got an offer I couldn't refuse on these so I thought I would roll the dice. My camera skills suck but hopefully this will be useful to someone...

Specs
Size: 17" x 9"
Back Space: 4.75"
Weight: 44.0 lbs (with ring, hardware, etc.)
Ring Diameter: 22.1 mm
Ring thickness: 12.7 mm

The finish on the wheels is immaculate, and I'm impressed with how well built they are. Tire installation was straightforward & not too difficult once I got the hang of it.

Torque spec on the lock ring bolts was 30 ft/lbs. That stood out to me because it seems a bit higher than other beadlocks.

The torquing process was fairly straightforward, and probably like most have experienced. I was able to get the time down to about 15 minutes per wheel as I perfected my process. The nordlock washers were pretty nice. Made the torquing process more smooth and consistent.

I checked all the bolts again after a few hundred miles but everything was about where it started. I'll check again at a thousand miles or so, just to be sure.

My only real issue is with the countersunk hardware. The bolts were a PITA because I could only fit a "cheap" socket on them due to the hole diameter. Additionally, IF hardware is going to be countersunk, then it should really be allen bolts. At some point, I will probably be switching over to them if I can find a good match.

I was speaking with a buddy who competes in offroad events in places like Mongolia... he actually does not like countersunk rock rings, regardless. Said he prefers the Walker Evans style beadlocks that are not countersunk. In his experience it's easier to deal with a beat up bolt than to get a bolt out of a beat up countersink. I don't know but it was an interesting viewpoint.

Overall, I think they look fantastic... and sort of unique. They "seem" like they will be extremely durable but only time will tell.

Attachments

• 20190327_100153.jpg
    20190327_100153.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 344
  • 20190327_100301.jpg
    20190327_100301.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 333
  • 20190327_100332.jpg
    20190327_100332.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 336
  • 20190327_170546.jpg
    20190327_170546.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 341
  • 20190330_173929.jpg
    20190330_173929.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 350

TheGrendel

those look nice. i think that's the first positive thing i've said about a Pro Comp product in years.

sm31

those look nice. i think that's the first positive thing i've said about a Pro Comp product in years.

LOL! Was thinking that myself!! I got into both the wheels and tires with some concern but so far I'm really impressed with both. The locals here have had great success with the MT2's in the conditions we face so I thought I'd roll the dice there as well.

Edit: I really like the 4.75" back space. The tires are just a little bit out from under the fenders... exactly the way I like them. I like the look too... definitely unique, and the rings are plenty stout. Just need to get some rash on them ASAP, then they'll be perfect. :)

Last edited:

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Interested to see how these hold up. That’s a great backspace and a great price. For some reason, the Slabs, Machetes, and RG XD 231s all have gone up $100 per wheel in the past 18 months. Really makes it hard to ignore cheaper options.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheGrendel

Interested to see how these hold up. That’s a great backspace and a great price. For some reason, the Slabs, Machetes, and RG XD 231s all have gone up $100 per wheel in the past 18 months. Really makes it hard to ignore cheaper options.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slabs and chamber pros no longer in production which sucks. Bought an extra ring for my slabs because of it.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Longer term report on these wheels? Still happy with them? Any issues?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

sm31

Longer term report on these wheels? Still happy with them? Any issues?

Thanks for the reminder! Can't believe it's been 18 months already...

At this point, I can say that I am truly 100% happy with my purchase. There are a couple of minor details I might change if I could but as of now these wheels have been awesome.

Pros:

I've managed to appropriately "decorate" a few of the rock rings but they are extremely stout, and I've never had any concerns with them. The rings (and accompanying bolts) were one point of concern for me going into beadlocks to begin with. I was worried I'd have to re-torque the things constantly but after a few checks they settled in and I went several months without even checking. When I did, they were still torqued fine.

Rock ring bolts are very high quality and have *zero* rust after a rough Alaskan winter. They come with these double/washer things to help with the torque process & they work very nicely I think. They seem to be a little bit larger than other beadlock bolts I've seen... and the torque values might be a little higher too. 30 ft/lbs if I recall.

It's a minor thing but I still love the look. They are unique, and they draw a lot of complements.

Mounting the tires to them wasn't a major ordeal. I did all 5 in my garage one afternoon... and I'm no gorilla. This may be more tire-specific though.

They seem to shed mud well (pic from some exploring yesterday...). Mud here tends to be more of the soupy variety but I still avoid it when I can. Either way, I've never had a problem with mud globbing up in the wheels.

They're more than strong enough to take anything I'll throw at them.

Cons (very minor but if I had to come up with some):

I'd prefer the rock ring bolts were allen bolts... only because the socket is a little bit of a tight fit.

The wheels "hold" an ounce or 2 of water inside the rock ring. I knew this would be the case so I don't really blame the wheel. I was mostly concerned with how this would go in winter. In my part of AK, temps tend to dance back and forth across freezing on a daily basis for a month at a time. It's also wet, icy, snow, and rainy during these times. My fear was that ice would build up over time and cause major weight and/or balance issues. I'm not sure why but that never happened at all. Ice build up was basically nonexistent. The wheels did fill up with snow when snow wheeling but that is to be expected with any wheel, and not really an issue anyway. So, this concern has turned out to be a very minor annoyance, mainly with the spare, which often has a little puddle in the bottom. It would probably almost never happen in dry climates though (it's fairly wet here). I briefly considered drilling a hole or 2 in the rock rings but due to the wheel design, I don't think it would help. And, it's not worth compromising the design for a non-issue.

The brushed aluminum will get blotches, etc. This goes for any aluminum wheel but these will get a little blotchy if you don't tend to them regularly... and I don't.

Please let me know if you have any other specific questions, or need a measurement or anything.

Attachments

• 20200720_104119.jpg
    20200720_104119.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 132

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the reminder! Can't believe it's been 18 months already...

At this point, I can say that I am truly 100% happy with my purchase. There are a couple of minor details I might change if I could but as of now these wheels have been awesome.

Pros:

I've managed to appropriately "decorate" a few of the rock rings but they are extremely stout, and I've never had any concerns with them. The rings (and accompanying bolts) were one point of concern for me going into beadlocks to begin with. I was worried I'd have to re-torque the things constantly but after a few checks they settled in and I went several months without even checking. When I did, they were still torqued fine.

Rock ring bolts are very high quality and have *zero* rust after a rough Alaskan winter. They come with these double/washer things to help with the torque process & they work very nicely I think. They seem to be a little bit larger than other beadlock bolts I've seen... and the torque values might be a little higher too. 30 ft/lbs if I recall.

It's a minor thing but I still love the look. They are unique, and they draw a lot of complements.

Mounting the tires to them wasn't a major ordeal. I did all 5 in my garage one afternoon... and I'm no gorilla. This may be more tire-specific though.

They seem to shed mud well (pic from some exploring yesterday...). Mud here tends to be more of the soupy variety but I still avoid it when I can. Either way, I've never had a problem with mud globbing up in the wheels.

They're more than strong enough to take anything I'll throw at them.

Cons (very minor but if I had to come up with some):

I'd prefer the rock ring bolts were allen bolts... only because the socket is a little bit of a tight fit.

The wheels "hold" an ounce or 2 of water inside the rock ring. I knew this would be the case so I don't really blame the wheel. I was mostly concerned with how this would go in winter. In my part of AK, temps tend to dance back and forth across freezing on a daily basis for a month at a time. It's also wet, icy, snow, and rainy during these times. My fear was that ice would build up over time and cause major weight and/or balance issues. I'm not sure why but that never happened at all. Ice build up was basically nonexistent. The wheels did fill up with snow when snow wheeling but that is to be expected with any wheel, and not really an issue anyway. So, this concern has turned out to be a very minor annoyance, mainly with the spare, which often has a little puddle in the bottom. It would probably almost never happen in dry climates though (it's fairly wet here). I briefly considered drilling a hole or 2 in the rock rings but due to the wheel design, I don't think it would help. And, it's not worth compromising the design for a non-issue.

The brushed aluminum will get blotches, etc. This goes for any aluminum wheel but these will get a little blotchy if you don't tend to them regularly... and I don't.

Please let me know if you have any other specific questions, or need a measurement or anything.

Thanks for the thorough report. One thing I like about those is how far inset the ring bolt heads are.

sm31

One thing I like about those is how far inset the ring bolt heads are.

Yes, they're very well protected. But a couple of my sockets wouldn't fit in there... hence the (slight) preference for allen bolts. However, I was speaking about them to a guy here who has done a lot of the x-country competitions in Africa, etc. He said he prefers the hex nuts because even if they get boogered, you can still get a grip on them with channel locks. I'm not sure how applicable that could ever be in my case but it was an interesting comment.

sm31

That is a nicest thing I've ever seen Procomp make. I'm not a fan of anything they make but I would buy those rims. Nice review!!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks! :beer: I bought a TJ years ago that came with a Pro Comp lift & tires... swore I'd never buy any of that crap again.

Somehow I ended up here... not only on a set of their wheels but also tires! Certainly a roll of the dice on my part but it really worked out this time.

Wasn't really planning on the tires as well but got an offer I couldn't refuse. And honestly, they've been pretty fantastic. Good off road performance, and by far the best M/T's I've ever driven on snowy/icy roads. I'd put them up there with my Duratracs for winter performance. Then I got the center lugs siped on strong recommendation from a couple of AK locals, and winter performance bumped up even more. Truly unexpected...

Kuboske

Wow. Those are nice looking wheels. Looked through your pics three times.
Just noticed on the third look, you appear to have a pony in the back seat...

sm31

Wow. Those are nice looking wheels. Looked through your pics three times.
Just noticed on the third look, you appear to have a pony in the back seat...

Haha! Yes. Jaeger considers the jeep "his", and insists on hopping in every time it moves. He's a fairly tall & lean 172 lbs... guess he'd go over 200 pretty easy if he got fat! We got him in when we lived in WY to "discourage" mountain lions while out snowshoeing. Unfortunately, the wildlife in AK is large enough to make even his size a moot point. :rolleyes2: But he's one of the best dogs we've ever had for indoor behavior. We can leave him alone all day and he has the run of the house. But the dog hair... that is another story!

Top Bottom