Thread: Pro Comp Trilogy Beadlock Review

Pro Comp Trilogy Beadlock Review

I've never really done one of these before but I thought I would share my experiences & observations from installing a set of the (relatively) new Pro Comp Trilogy beadlocks recently. Was planning on the XD231's but got an offer I couldn't refuse on these so I thought I would roll the dice. My camera skills suck but hopefully this will be useful to someone...

Specs
    Size: 17" x 9"
    Back Space: 4.75"
    Weight: 44.0 lbs (with ring, hardware, etc.)
    Ring Diameter: 22.1 mm
    Ring thickness: 12.7 mm

The finish on the wheels is immaculate, and I'm impressed with how well built they are. Tire installation was straightforward & not too difficult once I got the hang of it.

Torque spec on the lock ring bolts was 30 ft/lbs. That stood out to me because it seems a bit higher than other beadlocks.

The torquing process was fairly straightforward, and probably like most have experienced. I was able to get the time down to about 15 minutes per wheel as I perfected my process. The nordlock washers were pretty nice. Made the torquing process more smooth and consistent.

I checked all the bolts again after a few hundred miles but everything was about where it started. I'll check again at a thousand miles or so, just to be sure.

My only real issue is with the countersunk hardware. The bolts were a PITA because I could only fit a "cheap" socket on them due to the hole diameter. Additionally, IF hardware is going to be countersunk, then it should really be allen bolts. At some point, I will probably be switching over to them if I can find a good match.

I was speaking with a buddy who competes in offroad events in places like Mongolia... he actually does not like countersunk rock rings, regardless. Said he prefers the Walker Evans style beadlocks that are not countersunk. In his experience it's easier to deal with a beat up bolt than to get a bolt out of a beat up countersink. I don't know but it was an interesting viewpoint.

Overall, I think they look fantastic... and sort of unique. They "seem" like they will be extremely durable but only time will tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Knows a Thing or Two TheGrendel's Avatar
    those look nice. i think that's the first positive thing i've said about a Pro Comp product in years.

Those do look good. Interested to hear how they hold up for you.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Not That Kind of Engineer olram30's Avatar
    Look good. Perfect backspace

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looks good. Thanks for the review on them!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrendel View Post
    those look nice. i think that's the first positive thing i've said about a Pro Comp product in years.
    LOL! Was thinking that myself!! I got into both the wheels and tires with some concern but so far I'm really impressed with both. The locals here have had great success with the MT2's in the conditions we face so I thought I'd roll the dice there as well.

Edit: I really like the 4.75" back space. The tires are just a little bit out from under the fenders... exactly the way I like them. I like the look too... definitely unique, and the rings are plenty stout. Just need to get some rash on them ASAP, then they'll be perfect.
    Last edited by sm31; 04-09-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Nothing but a Thing Saharaunlmtd's Avatar
    Interested to see how these hold up. That’s a great backspace and a great price. For some reason, the Slabs, Machetes, and RG XD 231s all have gone up $100 per wheel in the past 18 months. Really makes it hard to ignore cheaper options.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two TheGrendel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd View Post
    Interested to see how these hold up. That’s a great backspace and a great price. For some reason, the Slabs, Machetes, and RG XD 231s all have gone up $100 per wheel in the past 18 months. Really makes it hard to ignore cheaper options.

Slabs and chamber pros no longer in production which sucks. Bought an extra ring for my slabs because of it.

Been Around the Block danford.lau's Avatar
    I run machetes and the 3.5 bs is a tad too aggressive for me . Like them on the trail but could probably do with 4” .