Drive with a broken stud?

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So just found this and no stores have it in stock. Possible to drive with 4 studs intact for a couple days? 20190409_201447.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A.J.

So just found this and no stores have it in stock. Possible to drive with 4 studs intact for a couple days? View attachment 324744

As long as they torque up you should be fine. Do yourself a favor though and clean the dirt off of the spacers. Clamping force is what holds the wheel on and all that dirt is a loose wheel waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
As long as they torque up you should be fine. Do yourself a favor though and clean the dirt off of the spacers. Clamping force is what holds the wheel on and all that dirt is a loose wheel waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Okay I will. I literally just got back from a wheeling trip a couple days ago.

jdofmemi

Loose nuts cause broken studs, and a dirty surface, wheel or hub, or spacer, leads to loose nuts.

I came most of the way from Moab to SoCal on four. Two of mine broke, and I only had one spare.

A day or two around town won't hurt if all four are tight

jeeeep

Hooked
I've driven with a broken stud no issues as long as the remaining 4 are torqued properly.

If you're concerned about it they're easy to find and install, this makes installation a breeze- Lisle 22800 Wheel Stud Installer

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Those installers are nice. You can also use a flat washer, oil or anti seize, and an extra open ended lug nut on flat side to the washer to pull them.

I agree that loose parts cause broken studs and that mating surface of the wheel and hub needs to be clean before torquing down.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DMF

Is this the front or the back? If front replace it with one in the back and run no spacers on one of the back wheels until you get it fix if you are paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. It was a spacer stud that broke, I didn't bother trying to replace the stud. I've replaced an orginial stud before but never on a spacer. I installed a new spacer and all is well.

Top Bottom