40x15.5x20 Toyo going smaller what do you guys like now?

Hammmerhead

Bought a used JK around 3 years ago running 4.88's and the big Toyo MT's. Its been my daily driver and its time to go smaller for the gamut of reasons. Should I ditch the 20X12 inch wheels and go with a more practical 17 or 18" wheel? I live down south, so rocks aren't a primary play time and I haven't had time to do much of anything other that travel and visit my ailing father out of town, so Im spending a good deal of time on the interstate. I don't want to get a tire that is too pavement worthy as I don't want to make the Jeep worthless when Im hitting the bottoms comes Duck season. Looking at the Toyo and the Nitto all terrain as well as the Cooper Stt. I know the Stt is a better mud tire, but Im really considering something a little less aggressive.

Any info is appreciated

jesse3638

Hooked
Bought a used JK around 3 years ago running 4.88's and the big Toyo MT's. Its been my daily driver and its time to go smaller for the gamut of reasons. Should I ditch the 20X12 inch wheels and go with a more practical 17 or 18" wheel? I live down south, so rocks aren't a primary play time and I haven't had time to do much of anything other that travel and visit my ailing father out of town, so Im spending a good deal of time on the interstate. I don't want to get a tire that is too pavement worthy as I don't want to make the Jeep worthless when Im hitting the bottoms comes Duck season. Looking at the Toyo and the Nitto all terrain as well as the Cooper Stt. I know the Stt is a better mud tire, but Im really considering something a little less aggressive.

Any info is appreciated

Most are happy with 37x12.5 or 13.5 R17. If you're not built for 40's that can be problematic as well. Being geared at 4.88's a 37 will get you back close to stock tire and gear ratio. A 35 may be a bit small causing you to run higher in the RPM range. I'd ditch the 20's and go with a 17x8 or 9".. It'll also open up your tire options more than an 18" will. Being that you said you are spending a lot of time on the pavement a good AT will work well for you. The 3 brands you're looking at provide excellent choices. If you haven't done so maybe give BFG a look too. I'm running the KM2's and they have held up well and have close to 40k on them. The new KM3's look good for a mud and the KO2's are a proven AT. Hope this helps.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Toyo open country r/t looks like a nice tire.

Or the Nitto Ridge Grappler.

For your stated needs, I’d go with a 37x12.50 in a 17” wheel. .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Hammmerhead

Most are happy with 37x12.5 or 13.5 R17. If you're not built for 40's that can be problematic as well. Being geared at 4.88's a 37 will get you back close to stock tire and gear ratio. A 35 may be a bit small causing you to run higher in the RPM range. I'd ditch the 20's and go with a 17x8 or 9".. It'll also open up your tire options more than an 18" will. Being that you said you are spending a lot of time on the pavement a good AT will work well for you. The 3 brands you're looking at provide excellent choices. If you haven't done so maybe give BFG a look too. I'm running the KM2's and they have held up well and have close to 40k on them. The new KM3's look good for a mud and the KO2's are a proven AT. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. My lease came up yesterday on my grocery getter, so its time to make a change as I wont be picking up another vehicle until this fall, even though I spend the majority of time in the JK. The Jeep is set up good with the long arms and the double D, but is missing the most important which is tons and is its the textbook definition of a mall crawler. I hate to buy wheels and then in a year or two upgrade to some decent axles and be stuck with 5x5 lugs. I guess the smartest thing to do is continue to run the 20's for now and just decide on which 37" tire to run. If I do a slicker tire I think the Toyo RT is what I will go with, but I am hesitant just for the slop around here and its leading me to do another set of the Toyo MT's or the STT's. Maybe some guys will chime in on the STT vs Toyo MT comparison that may have run both.

thanks again Jesse

Brute

Hooked
Thanks for the info. My lease came up yesterday on my grocery getter, so its time to make a change as I wont be picking up another vehicle until this fall, even though I spend the majority of time in the JK. The Jeep is set up good with the long arms and the double D, but is missing the most important which is tons and is its the textbook definition of a mall crawler. I hate to buy wheels and then in a year or two upgrade to some decent axles and be stuck with 5x5 lugs. I guess the smartest thing to do is continue to run the 20's for now and just decide on which 37" tire to run. If I do a slicker tire I think the Toyo RT is what I will go with, but I am hesitant just for the slop around here and its leading me to do another set of the Toyo MT's or the STT's. Maybe some guys will chime in on the STT vs Toyo MT comparison that may have run both.

thanks again Jesse

I’ve run 37x17 Toyo MTs on Brute with 4.88...liked them a lot...now running 40x17 Cooper STTs with 5.38...I like them even more...

dillard09

I have the Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my truck. They have the typical aggressive style Nitto sidewall but have a AT tread. I really like them.

Hammmerhead

I’ve run 37x17 Toyo MTs on Brute with 4.88...liked them a lot...now running 40x17 Cooper STTs with 5.38...I like them even more...

Is there much of a noise difference between the Toyo and STT once there are worn a bit?

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
Is there much of a noise between the Toyo and STT once there are worn a bit?

I don’t recall much from f a difference in noise...they both were not bad as far as I’m comcerned...but then I usually have SRV or Clapton cranked up pretty loud...

Hammmerhead

I don’t recall much from f a difference in noise...they both were not bad as far as I’m comcerned...but then I usually have SRV or Clapton cranked up pretty loud...

That's a great option! How about wear? I have been impressed with the Toyo wearing very good and lasting long, but I wouldn't mind shedding a few pounds of mass too.

RCVRY

I’ve got Nitto Teragrapplers (?) on my Rockstar plastic rims so don’t feel bad about the mall crawler image. Like you I bought a used Jeep and that’s what the previous owner put on it.

The Nitto’s don’t wear well in my opinion. I’ve had BFG A/T in the past and they’re nice when new but after 15-20k miles seemed to lose their “sticky”.

I’m on the second set of Yokohamas on my wife’s car and really like them. I’d think I’ll try the Geo M/T2 on the Jeep next. I’ve heard their road manners are comparable to A/T but they clean like M/T.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hammmerhead

Ended up getting some 38 STT's. Got them for $1450 out the door. Seriously thinking about some 20" Slabs since they say they're going away. Anyone have any negatives on the slabs in the 20" version?

benatc1

Hooked
Ended up getting some 38 STT's. Got them for $1450 out the door. Seriously thinking about some 20" Slabs since they say they're going away. Anyone have any negatives on the slabs in the 20" version?
I had them on my JKUR with 37s. Was really happy with them, wheel is def. kinda big but I thought it looked fairly proportional with the 37. Screenshot_20190415-131209_Photos.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hammmerhead

I had them on my JKUR with 37s. Was really happy with them, wheel is def. kinda big but I thought it looked fairly proportional with the 37. View attachment 325053

Thanks for the pic. If you have any more. please post them

Im off road just a few times a year, so I need beadlocks like a hole in the head. I looked at a few different method wheels, but theyre just another rehash of what I have since they're 20's. I figured whats a few more hundred and get the real deal before theyre gone.

Last edited:

benatc1

Hooked
thanks for the pic. Im off road about just a few times a year, so I need beadlocks like a hole in the head. I looked at a few different method wheels, but theyre just another rehash of what I have since they're 20's. I figured whats a few more hundred and get the real deal before theyre gone.

Haha I hear, I will say they did well cornering on road with a shorter side wall too. Its definitely a proven wheel. That being said, I like the look of a beadlock wheel more than most non beadlocks, as well, especially when they get to fancy.

Hammmerhead

Got the STT's on. Good looking tire and the 38 X 13.50 matches up better with a 4.88 gear. Had a guy that builds a few bouncers align everything up at his shop and it drives better and rides really good with 1.5" of pre load on the 250/300 combo front coils. The EVO long bars with the spanner adjustment wasn't a lot of fun for them, but after pulling off two of them, they finally got them to break loose.

The STT's do seem to make a little more noise than the Toyo MT, which will likely get worse in time. I hope they have a similar life span

Top Bottom