Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40x15.5x20 Toyo going smaller what do you guys like now?

40x15.5x20 Toyo going smaller what do you guys like now?

Bought a used JK around 3 years ago running 4.88's and the big Toyo MT's. Its been my daily driver and its time to go smaller for the gamut of reasons. Should I ditch the 20X12 inch wheels and go with a more practical 17 or 18" wheel? I live down south, so rocks aren't a primary play time and I haven't had time to do much of anything other that travel and visit my ailing father out of town, so Im spending a good deal of time on the interstate. I don't want to get a tire that is too pavement worthy as I don't want to make the Jeep worthless when Im hitting the bottoms comes Duck season. Looking at the Toyo and the Nitto all terrain as well as the Cooper Stt. I know the Stt is a better mud tire, but Im really considering something a little less aggressive.

Any info is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Hammmerhead View Post
    Bought a used JK around 3 years ago running 4.88's and the big Toyo MT's. Its been my daily driver and its time to go smaller for the gamut of reasons. Should I ditch the 20X12 inch wheels and go with a more practical 17 or 18" wheel? I live down south, so rocks aren't a primary play time and I haven't had time to do much of anything other that travel and visit my ailing father out of town, so Im spending a good deal of time on the interstate. I don't want to get a tire that is too pavement worthy as I don't want to make the Jeep worthless when Im hitting the bottoms comes Duck season. Looking at the Toyo and the Nitto all terrain as well as the Cooper Stt. I know the Stt is a better mud tire, but Im really considering something a little less aggressive.

Any info is appreciated
    Most are happy with 37x12.5 or 13.5 R17. If you're not built for 40's that can be problematic as well. Being geared at 4.88's a 37 will get you back close to stock tire and gear ratio. A 35 may be a bit small causing you to run higher in the RPM range. I'd ditch the 20's and go with a 17x8 or 9".. It'll also open up your tire options more than an 18" will. Being that you said you are spending a lot of time on the pavement a good AT will work well for you. The 3 brands you're looking at provide excellent choices. If you haven't done so maybe give BFG a look too. I'm running the KM2's and they have held up well and have close to 40k on them. The new KM3's look good for a mud and the KO2's are a proven AT. Hope this helps.

40x15.5x20 Toyo going smaller what do you guys like now?

Toyo open country r/t looks like a nice tire.

Or the Nitto Ridge Grappler.

For your stated needs, Iíd go with a 37x12.50 in a 17Ē wheel. .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by fiend; 04-10-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    Most are happy with 37x12.5 or 13.5 R17. If you're not built for 40's that can be problematic as well. Being geared at 4.88's a 37 will get you back close to stock tire and gear ratio. A 35 may be a bit small causing you to run higher in the RPM range. I'd ditch the 20's and go with a 17x8 or 9".. It'll also open up your tire options more than an 18" will. Being that you said you are spending a lot of time on the pavement a good AT will work well for you. The 3 brands you're looking at provide excellent choices. If you haven't done so maybe give BFG a look too. I'm running the KM2's and they have held up well and have close to 40k on them. The new KM3's look good for a mud and the KO2's are a proven AT. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. My lease came up yesterday on my grocery getter, so its time to make a change as I wont be picking up another vehicle until this fall, even though I spend the majority of time in the JK. The Jeep is set up good with the long arms and the double D, but is missing the most important which is tons and is its the textbook definition of a mall crawler. I hate to buy wheels and then in a year or two upgrade to some decent axles and be stuck with 5x5 lugs. I guess the smartest thing to do is continue to run the 20's for now and just decide on which 37" tire to run. If I do a slicker tire I think the Toyo RT is what I will go with, but I am hesitant just for the slop around here and its leading me to do another set of the Toyo MT's or the STT's. Maybe some guys will chime in on the STT vs Toyo MT comparison that may have run both.

thanks again Jesse

Thanks for the info. My lease came up yesterday on my grocery getter, so its time to make a change as I wont be picking up another vehicle until this fall, even though I spend the majority of time in the JK. The Jeep is set up good with the long arms and the double D, but is missing the most important which is tons and is its the textbook definition of a mall crawler. I hate to buy wheels and then in a year or two upgrade to some decent axles and be stuck with 5x5 lugs. I guess the smartest thing to do is continue to run the 20's for now and just decide on which 37" tire to run. If I do a slicker tire I think the Toyo RT is what I will go with, but I am hesitant just for the slop around here and its leading me to do another set of the Toyo MT's or the STT's. Maybe some guys will chime in on the STT vs Toyo MT comparison that may have run both.

thanks again Jesse
    Iíve run 37x17 Toyo MTs on Brute with 4.88...liked them a lot...now running 40x17 Cooper STTs with 5.38...I like them even more...

I have the Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my truck. They have the typical aggressive style Nitto sidewall but have a AT tread. I really like them.
    '08 JKUR 6.0LS, 6L80
    EVO DTD, Evolever w/ Hi Clearance long arms
    40x13.50R17 Nitto TGs w/ KMC Machettes
    Dana 60, Sterling 10.5
    EVO stuff
    Evo Pro & Warn Zeon
    Evo Tire Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    I’ve run 37x17 Toyo MTs on Brute with 4.88...liked them a lot...now running 40x17 Cooper STTs with 5.38...I like them even more...
    Is there much of a noise difference between the Toyo and STT once there are worn a bit?
    Last edited by Hammmerhead; 04-12-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Is there much of a noise between the Toyo and STT once there are worn a bit?
    Iím interested in this too, as my Toyo MTís will be worn out soon and debating STTís next.

Is there much of a noise between the Toyo and STT once there are worn a bit?
    I donít recall much from f a difference in noise...they both were not bad as far as Iím comcerned...but then I usually have SRV or Clapton cranked up pretty loud...

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    I donít recall much from f a difference in noise...they both were not bad as far as Iím comcerned...but then I usually have SRV or Clapton cranked up pretty loud...
    That's a great option! How about wear? I have been impressed with the Toyo wearing very good and lasting long, but I wouldn't mind shedding a few pounds of mass too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast