Serpentine Belt - Remove Atlernator?

Alan McDermott

Do you have to remove the alternator completely to get a new serpentine belt on?

I can't find a video that is only for the belt. Most are about replacing the alternator.

My belt came apart and wrapped onto the pulleys. I removed all of it, now how to get the new belt over the alternator pulley?

2012 Rubi.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Alan McDermott

So I just removed the alternator. That was the easy way to do it.

However the alternator pulley is coated with rubber from the belt rubbing on it. Any suggestions on how to clean the rubber out of the grooves? I tried brake cleaner and a metal brush with limited affect.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
So I just removed the alternator. That was the easy way to do it.

However the alternator pulley is coated with rubber from the belt rubbing on it. Any suggestions on how to clean the rubber out of the grooves? I tried brake cleaner and a metal brush with limited affect.

A brass wire wheel in a drill or on an angle grinder should work.

Alan McDermott

A brass wire wheel in a drill or on an angle grinder should work.

That's a great idea, but I don't have a brass wire wheel, only steel. The brass brushes are just not stiff enough to get the last bit of film off. I imagine it has to be perfectly clean?

WillysJkJeeper

U just release the tension on the belt and take it off one of the pulleys and the push the belt past the inside of the alternator pulley u start with that pulley when putting it back on.

Coop

Caught the Bug
U just release the tension on the belt and take it off one of the pulleys and the push the belt past the inside of the alternator pulley u start with that pulley when putting it back on.

The bottom brace on the alternator is inside the belt loop. You have to take the alternator off on the 3.6L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alan McDermott

Fucking engineers. 😡

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Hey now, I'm an engineer! :yup:

Its really the designers fault, they laid out the engine bay, then the engineers had to make it work. :doh:

Seriously I don't like how poorly designed the whole engine is laid out. After changing the oil cooler, they spent little time thinking about how hard they made everything to work on. Or maybe that was their intent!

The airbox sits in rubber grommets for gods sake. No connection whatsoever. And it takes up way too much room.

WillysJkJeeper

Yep ur right u have remove the bracket that will give u enough room to get the belt out around the alternator. Alternator can stay in place doesnt have to be removed the bracket only has to be removed.

Top Bottom