I'm tempted to buy a new steering stabilizer!

sm31

I'm experiencing an issue that has me tempted to try a new stabilizer... and I'm pretty sure it's a waste of money. But I'm still tempted!

After installing the new beadlocks & tires, I'm getting a sort of vibration. Definitely not death wobble as I'm well familiar with that... and all the steering components were working perfectly before the wheel/tire install. Whenever I hit a sizable bump or hole at speed, I can feel a slight vibration. It only lasts a fraction of a second, and it's barely noticeable. But now that I've noticed it, I can't "un-notice" it. Basically it feels like the drag link, stabilizer, etc. are having to work much harder to handle the heavier wheel/tire combo.

I've been through the steering system thoroughly but I haven't found anything. Are these just early signs of worn components, or is it worth dropping $40 on a new stabilizer just to see?

bigmase33

If you try everything above and still have an issue it cant hurt to check your ball joints for any play either.

sm31

Thanks!! Had not even considered the idea that tire pressure may have an effect in this case. I'm currently running 30 psi... but I haven't experimented w/ different pressures yet. My TJ liked fairly low pressures... in the 23 - 26 range. I assumed the heavier JKUR would need more but either way that will be easy to experiment with.

Another symptom I forgot to mention was a sort of boomy resonance (not sure if I'm using the right terminology) inside the jeep. With the hard top on, it seems that each bump now causes a sort of sub base boominess that reminds me of when 1 person has their window down and it causes quick pressure fluctuations while driving. Again... it's subtle but irritating.

Pertaining to balancing, I'm not sure that is an issue in this case because I'm getting the same effect at speeds below 25 mph, and up to about 45 mph. At highway speed, there is not noticeable shimmy, etc., and it seems the brief vibration effect is reduced.

GreggNY

I had a similar issue when hitting a good size bump or pothole. The steering wheel would shimmy/wobble back and forth for a second and then be fine without slowing down or anything. I ended up changing the stock ball joints to Dynatracs and also upgraded the steering stabilized to a Fox ats at the same time. The problem went away completely and the jeep feels solid as hell now. One of the lower factory ball joints was pretty beat up so that was most likely the cause but can’t say for sure if it was just that or stabilizer too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

Since doing Prosteer ball joints, Exodus Jeeps tie rod and Ruffstuff draglink, I’ve been running on and off road without a stabilizer at all. It absolutely drives great, even with my worn out 35’s. Tires are getting replaced Thursday. Good luck!

dirtdonthurt

Thanks!! Had not even considered the idea that tire pressure may have an effect in this case. I'm currently running 30 psi... but I haven't experimented w/ different pressures yet. My TJ liked fairly low pressures... in the 23 - 26 range. I assumed the heavier JKUR would need more but either way that will be easy to experiment with.

Another symptom I forgot to mention was a sort of boomy resonance (not sure if I'm using the right terminology) inside the jeep. With the hard top on, it seems that each bump now causes a sort of sub base boominess that reminds me of when 1 person has their window down and it causes quick pressure fluctuations while driving. Again... it's subtle but irritating.

Pertaining to balancing, I'm not sure that is an issue in this case because I'm getting the same effect at speeds below 25 mph, and up to about 45 mph. At highway speed, there is not noticeable shimmy, etc., and it seems the brief vibration effect is reduced.

I get the boomy resonance as well.usually when my tire pressure is to high

I'm experiencing an issue that has me tempted to try a new stabilizer... and I'm pretty sure it's a waste of money. But I'm still tempted!

After installing the new beadlocks & tires, I'm getting a sort of vibration. Definitely not death wobble as I'm well familiar with that... and all the steering components were working perfectly before the wheel/tire install. Whenever I hit a sizable bump or hole at speed, I can feel a slight vibration. It only lasts a fraction of a second, and it's barely noticeable. But now that I've noticed it, I can't "un-notice" it. Basically it feels like the drag link, stabilizer, etc. are having to work much harder to handle the heavier wheel/tire combo.

I've been through the steering system thoroughly but I haven't found anything. Are these just early signs of worn components, or is it worth dropping $40 on a new stabilizer just to see?

What size tires and what steering components do you currently have? I had a similar situation when i went to 37s on ATX slab beadlocks. Tires actually balanced perfectly and tire pressure was at 28. It got better when I replaced a worn tie rod end but everything else was good. Didn't go away till I added hydro assist.

Not saying thats what you need and it is for sure not a cheap option but bigger tires have an impact on handling too

Braxtonsag

I also had a wobble and i chased a few different fixes. Went high steer and that changed the vibration from 35-45 to 45-55, changed tie rod and that made no difference at all. Installed Teraflex ball joints and it went away completely

sm31

Thanks again for the replies!! My wheels/tires are somewhat heavy (not too heavy) 35" beadlocks. I hope I don't have to go as far as the ball joint! The suspension under this thing was cherry when I started work on it just a month or 2 ago. It has spent its life on stock wheels/tires and I couldn't find a single scratch underneath.

I'm busy modifying the front bumper to take a Warn 8274 this weekend. As soon as I get the jeep back on the road, I'll drop pressures to about 27 psi and write back with my results!

Top Bottom