RIP My Father

Braxtonsag

Well Friday I went through the first major loss in my life and as the title states, I lost my father. Iv been a lurker and occasional poster here since i got my JK. Growing up, My dad lost his dad at a young age and he really struggled with it throughout my childhood. It hindered his ability to develop a perfect relationship with me but i understood and i never held it against him. After graduating we began to get closer and have that more father son bond that so many have. Fast forward a few years and I have my son. This turned on a light in his heart that he'd been searching for and became one of the most loving men i had ever known. 3 years later in 2016 i had a daughter and this amplified even more so. The time between late 2016 and now we had been hanging out for no reason, bullshitting, and really becoming close. I picked up my JKU in fall of 2017, Soon after he went and picked himself up a new JK. I had talked him into buying my old wheels and tires and he just felt cool as hell having somewhat matching jeeps with his son. A few months ago i talked him into ditching his base 2 door sport and going all out and ordering a Rubicon exactly the way he wanted it. I said it'd be the last jeep he'd ever have to buy and i had huge plans to drag him to Moab, Tennessee, and the local off road park in it this year. He ended up driving an hour away to his favorite dealership and inquiring about it and actually ended up doing it. I had heard from him every single day about the status of his Jeep and how excited he was to get it. The beginning of april rolls around and his Jeep shows up and he falls in love with it, this thing was his PRIDE AND JOY.

On April 12th, I'm under my Jeep cutting and grinding off rear lower shock mounts and i get a phone call from his phone. I picked up and what i thought was my mother laughing hysterically i hear "Brax get over here right now!". I assumed she was wrestling with him and tickling him or something because they'd occasionally call laughing so hard they couldn't even talk. I heard a distress in her voice and asked "Wait are you crying??" and ill never forget her next sentence. She said "yes i think your dad passed away, come on now please" and she was crying heavily. I had just talked to him that morning for about 20 minutes while taking my son to school and we were actually supposed to hang out that day. He had to have some roofing done though and didnt want to leave them alone at the house so he decided to stay home that day but said if i get bored feel free to come out and hang out.

My mother had talked to him at 1:15 PM on her break and everything was fine as always, she arrived home at 3:15PM to find him laying face down in his bed not breathing. Apparently he had suffered from his heart collapsing and it went quickly and with no notice. It takes things like this happening to really make you take life slow and appreciate everything and everyone, and to never take anything or anyone for granted. I'm glad we got to really build our relationship and enjoy life these past years, I had never seen him happier in my life. I had been wanting to post this for the past few days but havent been able to work up the courage.
SplurgeJeep.jpg

Well Friday I went through the first major loss in my life and as the title states, I lost my father. Iv been a lurker and occasional poster here since i got my JK. Growing up, My dad lost his dad at a young age and he really struggled with it throughout my childhood. It hindered his ability to develop a perfect relationship with me but i understood and i never held it against him. After graduating we began to get closer and have that more father son bond that so many have. Fast forward a few years and I have my son. This turned on a light in his heart that he'd been searching for and became one of the most loving men i had ever known. 3 years later in 2016 i had a daughter and this amplified even more so. The time between late 2016 and now we had been hanging out for no reason, bullshitting, and really becoming close. I picked up my JKU in fall of 2017, Soon after he went and picked himself up a new JK. I had talked him into buying my old wheels and tires and he just felt cool as hell having somewhat matching jeeps with his son. A few months ago i talked him into ditching his base 2 door sport and going all out and ordering a Rubicon exactly the way he wanted it. I said it'd be the last jeep he'd ever have to buy and i had huge plans to drag him to Moab, Tennessee, and the local off road park in it this year. He ended up driving an hour away to his favorite dealership and inquiring about it and actually ended up doing it. I had heard from him every single day about the status of his Jeep and how excited he was to get it. The beginning of april rolls around and his Jeep shows up and he falls in love with it, this thing was his PRIDE AND JOY.

On April 12th, I'm under my Jeep cutting and grinding off rear lower shock mounts and i get a phone call from his phone. I picked up and what i thought was my mother laughing hysterically i hear "Brax get over here right now!". I assumed she was wrestling with him and tickling him or something because they'd occasionally call laughing so hard they couldn't even talk. I heard a distress in her voice and asked "Wait are you crying??" and ill never forget her next sentence. She said "yes i think your dad passed away, come on now please" and she was crying heavily. I had just talked to him that morning for about 20 minutes while taking my son to school and we were actually supposed to hang out that day. He had to have some roofing done though and didnt want to leave them alone at the house so he decided to stay home that day but said if i get bored feel free to come out and hang out.

My mother had talked to him at 1:15 PM on her break and everything was fine as always, she arrived home at 3:15PM to find him laying face down in his bed not breathing. Apparently he had suffered from his heart collapsing and it went quickly and with no notice. It takes things like this happening to really make you take life slow and appreciate everything and everyone, and to never take anything or anyone for granted. I'm glad we got to really build our relationship and enjoy life these past years, I had never seen him happier in my life. I had been wanting to post this for the past few days but havent been able to work up the courage.
View attachment 325276

Sorry for your loss man my dad went the same way it blows balls and i can't believe it's been 6 years already.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I’m sorry for your loss. It sounds like you guys really became close in recent years. Many people don’t get that chance before it’s too late.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
It's never easy losing such an important person in your life. I lost my dad a few years ago and unfortunately it was right before my son was born and didn't get to share that enjoyment with him. There are so many good memories you got to share and I hope those will help you through this difficult time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ddays

Hooked
Man, so sorry to hear. I also lost my dad about 5 years ago and my mom 2 years preceding him. Hard to believe its been that long ago. Still think about them both every day. It gets easier as time passes but its really a tough deal...

Braxtonsag

Sorry for your loss man my dad went the same way it blows balls and i can't believe it's been 6 years already.
Yeah just the complete suddenness of it and we knew of no health issues or anything.

I’m sorry for your loss. It sounds like you guys really became close in recent years. Many people don’t get that chance before it’s too late.

Yes we definitely did, Im thankful that we got to bond so well and he was finally happy. My kids were the light of his life

Sorry for your loss. Glad you guys were able to spend a bunch of time together enjoying life. Those are the memories that keep us moving thru difficult times.

For sure! We had just spent all afternoon together Monday just bullshitting around trying to find something to do around the house and ended up making some screens for the windows lol. Its the little memories like that that mean the most.
It's never easy losing such an important person in your life. I lost my dad a few years ago and unfortunately it was right before my son was born and didn't get to share that enjoyment with him. There are so many good memories you got to share and I hope those will help you through this difficult time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Very sorry to hear brother. I assure you, he LOVED my kids but the sting isnt any better, He wont get to watch them grow up so i completely feel your pain.

WJCO

Meme King
Really really sorry to hear this. Glad to hear that you became closer before it happened and shared some good times and memories.

Braxtonsag

Huge thanks to all of you, If you've ever lost a loved one you obviously know words only go so far but I've always had an attachment to this forum even though I don't post a lot.

98XJ06LJ

Sorry about your loss. I lost my Dad to cancer in 2007. Everytime you start thinking about him being gone just try to remember something you did together that made him happy. Remember how he was with your kids and be thankful he got to meet them. Condolences to you and your family.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom