Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soft Shackles?

Nothing but a Thing QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    I like to use a soft shackle when joining a kinetic rope to a regular strap if extra length is needed. This avoids having an extra projectile in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Soft Shackles?

I have a soft shackle and it does have its uses, however I’m pretty excited about warns new lineup, the hyperlink and the sidewinder, great idea in my opinion

Last edited by dytrdr5; 04-20-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuicksilverJK View Post
    I like to use a soft shackle when joining a kinetic rope to a regular strap if extra length is needed. This avoids having an extra projectile in the middle.

This is what I've used mine for. I've had good luck with them.

Quote Originally Posted by QuicksilverJK View Post

That’s a good idea...a good way to add a winch line extension, and easy to remove after a load was applied

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    and easy to remove after a load was applied
    ^^ Bingo ^^

Thanks for the input!!

LOL... Yes, I do have 1 "cute" ATV soft shackle I found somewhere. I use it to attach the leash to my St. Bernard's collar. It's been reliable... so far.

What prompted my question was an overlander buddy who swears by them. He is a classic "weight weenie" as we call them in cycling circles. Claims that the weight savings, packability, and reliability render traditional shackles obsolete. I'm not ready to give mine up yet though. Even though my shackle mounts are radial, I still think the edges are sharp enough to cause issues at about 8000 lbs of force.

Nothing but a Thing QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sm31 View Post
    Thanks for the input!!

LOL... Yes, I do have 1 "cute" ATV soft shackle I found somewhere. I use it to attach the leash to my St. Bernard's collar. It's been reliable... so far.

What prompted my question was an overlander buddy who swears by them. He is a classic "weight weenie" as we call them in cycling circles. Claims that the weight savings, packability, and reliability render traditional shackles obsolete. I'm not ready to give mine up yet though. Even though my shackle mounts are radial, I still think the edges are sharp enough to cause issues at about 8000 lbs of force.
    How much weight is he saving by ditching the steel shackles? Better give him a bunch of rope and pulleys so he doesn't have to have a winch.

Quote Originally Posted by sm31 View Post
    Thanks for the input!!

Post a picture of his rig.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Post a picture of his rig.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I'll snap a pic when I'm out there next time. It's a mid 70's vintage Land Rover... Soooo lightweight...

Although, very cool!!

I would say you can replace half your steel shackles with soft, but steel still have their place. Then you could also add additional soft shackles with almost not space or weight penalty.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast