Soft Shackles?

sm31

Thoughts and/or experiences using these as a substitute for steel shackles? Seems like there are some pretty strong ones available out there but I worry that the attachment point on my bumper (where a steel shackle would go) might cut them under load...

I suppose a soft shackle could also eliminate one more potential "projectile" from the winch line.

And I like that they are lightweight and easy to pack. Any thoughts about these? I have no experience with them...

RCVRY

I dunno...boneless vs. traditional? I’d market them as flaccid shackles.

I use shackles at work for rigging and I’d be afraid to use fiber in most applications. I use straps when I have to only out of necessity, but otherwise wire rope, chain and steel shackles are proven winners.

The shackle should always be rated higher than the wire rope anyway. The last point of failure so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RCVRY

McMaster Carr is a good source for durable shackles. Grainger or any local cable/sling manufacturers are good too.
At least in my area. I dunno about Alaska?

Brute

Hooked
One good use is to attach your winch line near your front axle to suck down your front suspension when climbing a steep wall so you don’t bounce off...

jdofmemi

One good use is to attach your winch line near your front axle to suck down your front suspension when climbing a steep wall so you don’t bounce off...

Sounds like there is more to this story.

As far as the soft shackles, I have started using them sometimes. You do have to watch for sharp edges. The shackle mounts on some bumpers have a radius cut, some are square, so pay attention. The square ones will cut.

Also, don't be the guy who buys the ATV sized ones. They are cute, for ATVs.

RCVRY

As far as the soft shackles, I have started using them sometimes. You do have to watch for sharp edges. The shackle mounts on some bumpers have a radius cut, some are square, so pay attention. The square ones will cut.

LOL “cute”

danford.lau

Caught the Bug

[emoji23] I’ll be sure to pass along to Marco “cute shackles”

dytrdr5

I have a soft shackle and it does have its uses, however I’m pretty excited about warns new lineup, the hyperlink and the sidewinder, great idea in my opinion

Last edited:

sm31

Thanks for the input!!

LOL... Yes, I do have 1 "cute" ATV soft shackle I found somewhere. I use it to attach the leash to my St. Bernard's collar. It's been reliable... so far. :D

What prompted my question was an overlander buddy who swears by them. He is a classic "weight weenie" as we call them in cycling circles. Claims that the weight savings, packability, and reliability render traditional shackles obsolete. I'm not ready to give mine up yet though. Even though my shackle mounts are radial, I still think the edges are sharp enough to cause issues at about 8000 lbs of force.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the input!!

LOL... Yes, I do have 1 "cute" ATV soft shackle I found somewhere. I use it to attach the leash to my St. Bernard's collar. It's been reliable... so far. :D

What prompted my question was an overlander buddy who swears by them. He is a classic "weight weenie" as we call them in cycling circles. Claims that the weight savings, packability, and reliability render traditional shackles obsolete. I'm not ready to give mine up yet though. Even though my shackle mounts are radial, I still think the edges are sharp enough to cause issues at about 8000 lbs of force.

How much weight is he saving by ditching the steel shackles? Better give him a bunch of rope and pulleys so he doesn't have to have a winch.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Thanks for the input!!

Post a picture of his rig.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

maskale

I would say you can replace half your steel shackles with soft, but steel still have their place. Then you could also add additional soft shackles with almost not space or weight penalty.

Top Bottom