Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with my stiff rough jku

Been Around the Block Braxtonsag's Avatar

Help with my stiff rough jku

Iv been working to get the jeep ready for traveling season and Iv always been one that believes getting rid of excessive weight makes for a better traveling vehicle. In this case I got rid of so much that it screwed me. Iíll statt with a run down of my current setup and what parts have affected the weight of the jeep.

My current suspension setup is a Rock Krawler 3.5 with fox adventure 2.0 shocks. All control arms stock except front lowers. Stock track bars on brackets, rhd drag link. Thatís all that I believe would affect ride quality. As far as lighter parts I have a bestop trektop nx, Line X instead of carpet, evo rear fascia instead of a bumper, double rotopax mount instead of a spare tire, and on top of it itís a base sport no power options.

A few of my complaints are that bumps are extremely jerky and the Jeep sits higher than I imagine it should. Iv weighed it and it weighs 4520 lbs with 37s and heavy slabs so weíre talking 400+ lbs in just wheel and tire.

Obviously fixing my problem is going to be a combination of different springs and shocks. Just wanted some input from you guys. Iíll attach a pic of current ride height as well. C0D53F30-6DAC-4DF0-A2C7-FE7293F88E56.jpg

In my opinion, the Rock Krawler springs are probably making the biggest contribution to your poor ride.

3" EVO plush rides will get you a much improved ride in comparison. I have those, and they ride great, plus I haven't heard any poor feedback on them from others.

You didn't mention what pressure your running your tires.

Also as mentioned above the RK springs have been reported to be on the stiff side, so maybe they'd feel better if paired with a conventional rather high pressure gas charged shock.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Plush rides, and adjustable shocks like King 2.5 or ranch 9000. Tire pressure at or below 30 and itís much softer.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

I keep the tire pressure at 28.5 up front and 28 in the rear, I knew I was going to forget to include that. Are the evo springs the same length uncompressed? Iím going to do some digging and see if I can find actual spring rate numbers as well.

Tire pressure is easy to experiment with. I think you can go lower than that - I run my 35s at 28-29. Softer tires will absorb a lot of the roughness, more so than springs and shocks. You can do a chalk test to see if you're overinflated now.
    I'm running the 3inch plush rides with Rancho RS9000XL shocks. I think it rides nice, but the front control arm angles are fairly steep and I do get a bit of a jolt transmitted through going over bumps at speed. I think only long arms or drop brackets would fix that. Everything's a compromise.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Iím just impressed someone actually knows what they keep their tire pressure at down to half a pound.

RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by Braxtonsag View Post
    Iv been working to get the jeep ready for traveling season and Iv always been one that believes getting rid of excessive weight makes for a better traveling vehicle. In this case I got rid of so much that it screwed me. Iíll statt with a run down of my current setup and what parts have affected the weight of the jeep.

My current suspension setup is a Rock Krawler 3.5 with fox adventure 2.0 shocks. All control arms stock except front lowers. Stock track bars on brackets, rhd drag link. Thatís all that I believe would affect ride quality. As far as lighter parts I have a bestop trektop nx, Line X instead of carpet, evo rear fascia instead of a bumper, double rotopax mount instead of a spare tire, and on top of it itís a base sport no power options.

A few of my complaints are that bumps are extremely jerky and the Jeep sits higher than I imagine it should. Iv weighed it and it weighs 4520 lbs with 37s and heavy slabs so weíre talking 400+ lbs in just wheel and tire.

Obviously fixing my problem is going to be a combination of different springs and shocks. Just wanted some input from you guys. Iíll attach a pic of current ride height as well. C0D53F30-6DAC-4DF0-A2C7-FE7293F88E56.jpg
    I tend to run very light as well and our set up is almost identical. I would start with springs. I have 4Ē plush rides on mine but I wanted the extra up travel. Wait till you take the doors off. They are heavy. Compensated for camping gear nicely though. Oh and get a spare. If I ever see someone out on the trail with no spare guess who Iím not loaning one to. Itís just stupid not to carry one.

Ride height fully loaded with gear for Rubicon.Image1555854543.595934.jpg

Hereís one from the front next to my dads Scout for comparison.
    Image1555855071.028379.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Iím just impressed someone actually knows what they keep their tire pressure at down to half a pound.

Lol the digital pressure gauge I use measures in half psi increments and I always like to have the front slightly higher than the rear. Thatís the only reason I know.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I tend to run very light as well and our set up is almost identical. I would start with springs. I have 4Ē plush rides on mine but I wanted the extra up travel. Wait till you take the doors off. They are heavy. Compensated for camping gear nicely though. Oh and get a spare. If I ever see someone out on the trail with no spare guess who Iím not loaning one to. Itís just stupid not to carry one.

Ride height fully loaded with gear for Rubicon.Image1555854543.595934.jpg

Iíll have one eventually, most likely when I buy new tires. I just donít really do THAT hard of trails that puncturing is a big worry of mine. I HAVE however nearly ran out of gas 3 times in remote Utah and Nevada. Thatís my reasoning for gas > spare. Once I buy new tires Iíll probably pick up an extra wheel and one of these 4 will be the spare.

So with my setup would you guys suggest 3Ē or 4Ē plush rides?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast