Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wobble at highway speeds

  1. #1
    Caught the Bug KeroJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    77

    Wobble at highway speeds

    I recently got a new job that requires me to go on the highway and I noticed a very aggressive wobble at speeds over 55, its consistent throughout after 55. Looking to see if I can locate it.

    I have a 2007 2dr, here is what I have done to my suspension:
    RK progressive 2.5 springs
    Bilstein 5160 shocks for 2.5 lift.
    RC Front forged trackbar
    RC rear trackbar bracket
    RC front disconnectable links
    RC rear links
    Core 4x4 tier 2 front lower control arms

    My alignment is decent, need to fix the caster a bit to bring it to 4.5 cause I'm at 4.2 and 4.3 right now.

    My passenger side rear shock is shot, got a new rear set and I just have to swap them out when I get time.

    Could the shock be causing this? Any help would be great because I keep finding threads about death wobble in search for an answer and I most definitely don't have death wobble. It happens on a very smooth highway with no bumps and I can stop it from happening if I slow down to under 55.



    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Nothing but a Thing MSJKU11's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by KeroJK View Post
    I recently got a new job that requires me to go on the highway and I noticed a very aggressive wobble at speeds over 55, its consistent throughout after 55. Looking to see if I can locate it.

    I have a 2007 2dr, here is what I have done to my suspension:
    RK progressive 2.5 springs
    Bilstein 5160 shocks for 2.5 lift.
    RC Front forged trackbar
    RC rear trackbar bracket
    RC front disconnectable links
    RC rear links
    Core 4x4 tier 2 front lower control arms

    My alignment is decent, need to fix the caster a bit to bring it to 4.5 cause I'm at 4.2 and 4.3 right now.

    My passenger side rear shock is shot, got a new rear set and I just have to swap them out when I get time.

    Could the shock be causing this? Any help would be great because I keep finding threads about death wobble in search for an answer and I most definitely don't have death wobble. It happens on a very smooth highway with no bumps and I can stop it from happening if I slow down to under 55.



    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Have you tires rebalanced. So many things can cause the wobble. Check your alignment and all bolts to make they are torqued properly.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Old Timer fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,020
    I would replace the bad shock and see if that improves anything.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  4. #4
    Knows a Thing or Two trailraider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    654
    Jeep- Adult version of lego

  5. #5
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    ITALY
    Posts
    8
    Generally, first of all, you should check if rubber bushings of front track bar are safe. While someone is turning the steering wheel from right to left little by little, you can see if there is slackness on the track bar eyes. In case of, you might replace the rubber bushings with a special product like this https://kevinsoffroad.com/collection...s-with-sleeves

  6. #6
    Caught the Bug KeroJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    77
    I'm gonna get the tires balanced for sure and rotated while at it because it's free. But this morning I did take the time to replace my two rear shocks and on the way to work today, I had no wobble when driving. Braking improved, alignment seems better, and it handles bumps much better which is a given, thank you guys for the awesome input and help like always!

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Old Timer fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,020
    Quote Originally Posted by KeroJK View Post
    I'm gonna get the tires balanced for sure and rotated while at it because it's free. But this morning I did take the time to replace my two rear shocks and on the way to work today, I had no wobble when driving. Braking improved, alignment seems better, and it handles bumps much better which is a given, thank you guys for the awesome input and help like always!

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I charge $25 for each dumb suggestion and $50 for each good one. My $50 invoice is in the mail to you ...


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #8
    Nothing but a Thing MSJKU11's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    1,334
    Glad you figured it out!

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Caught the Bug KeroJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    I charge $25 for each dumb suggestion and $50 for each good one. My $50 invoice is in the mail to you ...


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Oh got, i probably owe you more than 50 then from other posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSJKU11 View Post
    Glad you figured it out!

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Thank you so much for coming through with the advice.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Extended mileage/duration in 4H at highway speeds...
    By sm31 in forum Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-14-2017, 11:24 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-10-2016, 11:15 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 11:10 PM
  4. Any experience a engine stall at highway speeds?
    By JudeinPa in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-18-2015, 11:10 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 07:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS