Thread: Spare tire

Fresh Catch

Spare tire

I just bought my first Jeep (2014 sport unlimited) and I will be running 35s does anyone have any recommendations on rear tire carriers wondering if a rear hinge kit will work as good as a bumper with a carrier on it? Thank you in advance for any advice

Fresh Catch
    Evo hinge kit. Some (maybe not here) will recommend the Teraflex kit but there is more than one instance of them breaking. You will find more folks on this site that actually beat on there Jeeps vs the other forums where they are a bunch of posers. Glad I found WaL. The shit I read here is trail tested and works.

Fresh Catch
    replaced mine with the EVO hinged carrier. Looks beefy and top quality. Holds my 35 like a champ. ZERO rattling and that spare doesnt move at all. Install took close to three hours and was fairly straightforward. If you have any questions just give EVO or Off Road Evolution and they well help you!

EDIT: Welcome to Wayalife, if you have any another questions about parts check out the reccomended parts section lists all the brands that have been tried and true and would be your best options IMO.
    Last edited by bigmase33; 04-24-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Yeah definitely the Evo over the teraflex. I have the Evo, some friends have the teraflex. Easy to notice the difference in quality.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two TheGrendel's Avatar
    i'll be the one the to say. i'm not super happy with my Evo hinged carrier. there are some fitment issues with them. do a search. there a number of threads about it.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrendel View Post
    i'll be the one the to say. i'm not super happy with my Evo hinged carrier. there are some fitment issues with them. do a search. there a number of threads about it.
    Ive got one to put on. Havent started it yet. I better read up I suppose. Was just recommended this over the Teraflex one by MANY folks.

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrendel View Post
    I’m on the same page as TheGrendel. I had gaps between the EVO carrier and the tailgate that caused the sheet metal to deform when the bolts that held the original carrier were tightened up. Couldn’t find a solution other than washers or spacers of some sort. Ended up selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by SWTrailJKU View Post
    I’m on the same page as TheGrendel. I had gaps between the EVO carrier and the tailgate that caused the sheet metal to deform when the bolts that held the original carrier were tightened up. Couldn’t find a solution other than washers or spacers of some sort. Ended up selling it.
    I’ve read a lot of reviews saying similar things. But for me, personally, I have had no issues with it so far

Been Around the Block CapnMericaMyCopilot's Avatar
    I just removed mine yesterday actually and definitely think they need to address how they account for the two indents in the tailgate where the factory hinges sit.