Broken OE Tire Carrier, Damn!

USMC Wrangler

Well, the ticking time bomb that is a 35 hanging on the factory tire carrier and off roading struck today. I spent a few hours exploring some nearby trails with my friend in his YJ. The majority of the trip was uneventful and fun until nearly the end.

Mr.Ty helped me setup the spare tire isolators awhile back and that has survived multiple outings. I run a 5 1/4” drop hitch draw bar, upside down, without a ball in an attempt to keep the tire from catching anything.

The problem today was turning around in a tight canyon to retrieve my GoPro. I barely touched a small rock on the right side of the spare tire and I heard a metallic“ping”. It really wasn’t loud, even running tube doors and no soft top windows. I literally thought something hit my license plate. Definitely not the case, or the fault of Mr.Ty’s bumpstop extension suggestion.

Damn it

IMG_7539.jpg

IMG_7540.jpg

The tire did contact and slightly bend the outer sheet metal near the hinges. Not as a big of a deal to me as the carrier break.

IMG_7541.jpg

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that sucks. Just to confirm, your tire caught a rock when this happened? Even if just by a little, I could totally see how that would happen.

Top Bottom