Steering Shimmy gone after removing spare?

So removed my spare and EVO hinged carrier yesterday. Now magically, the slight shimmy I had in the steering wheel from ~48-54 mph is gone. I’m not complaining, but just curious why this would be the case. I’d always assumed it was something related to the front end. Weight wise was probably only around 175 lbs (70 lb tire, 50lb carrier, plus wheel) and all my tools are loaded up in the back probably making up for what I took off weight wise. Want to make sure there isn’t an underlying issue I’m not considering. I’ll say the handling and ride is notably improved.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WhiteMetal

Have you checked your rear wheel bearings if there worn it can cause a slight shimmy in steering wheel, and I'm assuming more weight would make shimmy worst.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
This makes no sense. I've seen rear suspension issues cause flighty steering or wandering a little because of a thrust angle problem but never heard of a steering shimmy being related to the rear at all. There's nothing in the rear that is mechanically linked to your steering wheel.

WhiteMetal

No, well I had this exact problem with my JL everything was tight in from end but both rear wheel bearings were shot, after replacing them no more shimmy in steering wheel. the rear axle is connected to the frame so if bad enough vibration are coming from rear they can be felt in steering wheel

WJCO

Meme King
No, well I had this exact problem with my JL everything was tight in from end but both rear wheel bearings were shot, after replacing them no more shimmy in steering wheel.

I didn't realize the JL used rear wheel hubs with bearings, my bad.

...the rear axle is connected to the frame so if bad enough vibration are coming from rear they can be felt in steering wheel

A vibration can transfer anywhere for sure. But a steering wheel SHIMMY, I've always understood that as steering wheel moves back and forth rapidly even if it just moves a short distance. Maybe the OP is having a vibration issue.

JKbrick

No, well I had this exact problem with my JL everything was tight in from end but both rear wheel bearings were shot, after replacing them no more shimmy in steering wheel. the rear axle is connected to the frame so if bad enough vibration are coming from rear they can be felt in steering wheel

Wow worn out on a JL already? That’s not a good sign

A vibration can transfer anywhere for sure. But a steering wheel SHIMMY, I've always understood that as steering wheel moves back and forth rapidly even if it just moves a short distance. Maybe the OP is having a vibration issue.
Definitely was a shimmy and not a vibration.

Have you checked your rear wheel bearings if there worn it can cause a slight shimmy in steering wheel, and I'm assuming more weight would make shimmy worst.

I will have to look up about how to check them but I’ve not noticed any play during maintenance/ working on it.

WhiteMetal

No but from what I know the outside axle shaft bearing is called a wheel bearing, but I've been wrong before.

Top Bottom