02. 2500Hd

A JK 2010

I’m thinking of buying a Chevy 2002 2500Hd I do not know about diesels at all What should I look for and question should I ask. They replaced injectors not to long ago. It is in my price range which is key. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
How many miles are on it? The LB7 01-04 had issues with injectors cracking and I believe were difficult to get to... in 05 they addressed this with the LLY motor... I had an 05 and never had any “major” issues in 130k miles... Diesels can be expensive to fix... I’d do some research on the LB7 so you know what you’re getting into.

bhaner

The LB7 can be a great truck but as stated above factor in replacement of injectors and maybe even injector cups.

Last time I checked it was about 10-12 hours shop time for just the injector R&R. That doesn't include draining the coolant or replacing any injector cups.

The injectors can be anywhere from $1300-$4500 a set depending on the quality.

A JK 2010

How many miles are on it? The LB7 01-04 had issues with injectors cracking and I believe were difficult to get to... in 05 they addressed this with the LLY motor... I had an 05 and never had any “major” issues in 130k miles... Diesels can be expensive to fix... I’d do some research on the LB7 so you know what you’re getting into.

It has 160000 injectors have been replaced with new ones about 40000 miles ago

A JK 2010

Took it to Moab this weekend she pulled well no problems or over heating. By the way first time in Moab. Did hells canyon and Moab Rim. Fun and scary at the same time. Don’t like cliffs or big drop off. Hahaha

MericaMade

They have come along way since the LB7. If it was me I would look for a LBZ motor. The LBZ was first introduced in 2006 as a replacement for the LLY engine. The LBZ offered significantly more power but was only available until the middle of 2007 when it was replaced by the LMM. The LB7/LLY were 5 speeds and the LBZ and newer are 6 speeds. LB7 had injectors issues, LLY had overheating issues, and the LBZ was just a great truck.

Last edited:

rsbad454

I have a 2005 2500HD with the LLY Duramax. I love the truck, great Diesel engine, and Allison transmission combo. I keep on top of the maintenance...haven't had any over heating issues. I changed the turbo mouth piece to an AFE unit along with a cold air intake to help with EGTs. The LLY is another option if you are unsure of the LB7 you have been looking at. The LLY came out first with variable vein turbo to control boost, and spool up. You can also get EFI Live tuning, and have turbine braking with the tow tunes. :thumb:
20190414_111239.jpg
20190414_111253.jpg

MericaMade

I have a 2005 2500HD with the LLY Duramax. I love the truck, great Diesel engine, and Allison transmission combo. I keep on top of the maintenance...haven't had any over heating issues. I changed the turbo mouth piece to an AFE unit along with a cold air intake to help with EGTs. The LLY is another option if you are unsure of the LB7 you have been looking at. The LLY came out first with variable vein turbo to control boost, and spool up. You can also get EFI Live tuning, and have turbine braking with the tow tunes. :thumb:
View attachment 328404
View attachment 328403
I had a 05 LLY with zero issues....Great truck. What trailer and what size do you have? I'm looking for one now and this looks like a nice setup.

rsbad454

I had a 05 LLY with zero issues....Great truck. What trailer and what size do you have? I'm looking for one now and this looks like a nice setup.

Not sure on brand, it was purchased many many years ago. It's just an 18' car hauler with a dove tail, 3500 lbs tandem axles, electric brakes, and slide out ramps. I think my 2 door is actually pushing the limits of the GVW of the trailer though.

Top Bottom