Thread: 02. 2500Hd

02. 2500Hd

I’m thinking of buying a Chevy 2002 2500Hd I do not know about diesels at all What should I look for and question should I ask. They replaced injectors not to long ago. It is in my price range which is key. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

How many miles are on it? The LB7 01-04 had issues with injectors cracking and I believe were difficult to get to... in 05 they addressed this with the LLY motor... I had an 05 and never had any “major” issues in 130k miles... Diesels can be expensive to fix... I’d do some research on the LB7 so you know what you’re getting into.

The LB7 can be a great truck but as stated above factor in replacement of injectors and maybe even injector cups.

Last time I checked it was about 10-12 hours shop time for just the injector R&R. That doesn't include draining the coolant or replacing any injector cups.

The injectors can be anywhere from $1300-$4500 a set depending on the quality.
    Byron Haner - Wickersham, Wa
    -Currently Building-
    2016 JKUR HR
    Evo Offroad DTD w/Evo Lever
    Dynatrac Elite ProRock XD60/80
    40" Procomp MT, 17" B.A.D. Wheels

My Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TrailHunter View Post
    How many miles are on it? The LB7 01-04 had issues with injectors cracking and I believe were difficult to get to... in 05 they addressed this with the LLY motor... I had an 05 and never had any “major” issues in 130k miles... Diesels can be expensive to fix... I’d do some research on the LB7 so you know what you’re getting into.
    It has 160000 injectors have been replaced with new ones about 40000 miles ago

Quote Originally Posted by A JK 2010 View Post
    It has 160000 injectors have been replaced with new ones about 40000 miles ago

That sounds encouraging

Took it to Moab this weekend she pulled well no problems or over heating. By the way first time in Moab. Did hells canyon and Moab Rim. Fun and scary at the same time. Don’t like cliffs or big drop off. Hahaha

Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar
    They have come along way since the LB7. If it was me I would look for a LBZ motor. The LBZ was first introduced in 2006 as a replacement for the LLY engine. The LBZ offered significantly more power but was only available until the middle of 2007 when it was replaced by the LMM. The LB7/LLY were 5 speeds and the LBZ and newer are 6 speeds. LB7 had injectors issues, LLY had overheating issues, and the LBZ was just a great truck.
    Last edited by MericaMade; 05-20-2019 at 10:31 PM.