CA Legal Advice Needed

jesse3638

Hooked
I know we have some members (lawyers and CHP's) here who may be able to help me with this...haha. About a month ago my son was pulled over by a CA Highway Patrol Officer (CHP). He was stopped for the license plate being partially obstructed. The handle of my tire carrier can block the last digit at certain angles. I figured this would be a fix-it ticket but realized it wasn't. This obstruction is unintentional, as a lot sand or put on a tinted plate cover. There were several other items which he could have been sited for which would have been fix-its ie...tinted windows, mud flaps which were pointed out by the officer. I'm also not running a front plate which was not even pointed out. I figured this would be worth siting. Seems he used items PC for their stop then wrote the ticket which would net the state the most money. Got to fund the butter train some how...haha. My question is do I even attempt to argue this in court with my son or just pay the fine and move on? Since this I do plan on relocating it and getting a bracket to reinstall the front plate. Any advice and info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
If you contest it in court they will likely reduce it or possibly toss it all together based on what you’re saying you’re gonna do to fix it. You just have to decide if it’s worth spending the time in court for it. Some would have to take a day off work or burn a vacation day or something so you just have to factor that in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’d take a good picture from the back and if the plate is legible contest it. Also the state or chp makes zero pennies from tickets issued.

PokerStogey

How is an equipment violation not a correctable ticket? Or are you just going off of the courtesy notice from the court with a bail amount on it and assuming? A correctable written on an actual citation instead of a fix it tag will probably show up as such... a violation with a fine. Probably marked on the front as correctable... fix it, get it signed off, show proof of correction and pay processing fee to court ($10-25). So I’ve heard

fiend

Caught the Bug
My kid got a ticket for riding his bike while wearing ear buds. About $200. I was all up in arms and ready to “take it to court.” I did the first few steps in the process, but it immediately became clear that fighting it was going to consume a lot of my time during work hours and getting the ticket chucked was not a sure thing. I decided my time was better spent on other things and just paid the ticket.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Take photos and or a video walkaroubd showing how it isn't obstructed and go to court if you have time. Otherwise pay it and call it a lesson learned lol

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I had two employees cited recently for odd things. The court changed it to fix it tickets. We just had to get it signed off and pay $25. It was more of annoyance than anything.

Maybe is was that freakish doll on the back? I’d write you something too.

jesse3638

Hooked
Thanks for everyone's input. I can understand the officer doing his job and have no problem correcting it. I was just shocked it wasn't a fix it ticket. Especially considering it wasn't intentional like some do. I guess that's more my issue.

It wasn't the doll. She hasn't been up back there for awhile. Probably had something to do with the little red helmet sticker..😉

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

My kid got a ticket for riding his bike while wearing ear buds. About $200. I was all up in arms and ready to “take it to court.” I did the first few steps in the process, but it immediately became clear that fighting it was going to consume a lot of my time during work hours and getting the ticket chucked was not a sure thing. I decided my time was better spent on other things and just paid the ticket.

That's freaking insane!

Who comes up with this kind of shit to harass people who are otherwise causing no problem for anyone bb

fiend

Caught the Bug
That's freaking insane!

Who comes up with this kind of shit to harass people who are otherwise causing no problem for anyone bb

I get that it’s a safety thing. But a warning would have been sufficient.

It’s pretty well documented that municipalities view nuisance violations like this as a revenue source. They get to keep all the money, sometimes just for the ticketing authority (local PD). So the cops are encouraged to write BS tickets. Read up on some of the really egregious instances in Ohio and other places. Sadly the burden often falls on lower income minority communities.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Being in law enforcement it still blows my mind CHP actually cares about shit like this.

Yeah, I hear you there. We had valid plates on the work car and the sticker never made it to the plate. The company was cited for directing an employee to drive an illegal vehicle or some shit like that. Plus the citation for not displaying the proper sticker. It was $300 fine or so. Luckily the court changed it to a fix it ticket.

Meanwhile we allow illegals to drive in California. I just can’t wrap my head around it.

Top Bottom