The Dusy, October 2019

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Looking at a trip, 4-5 days on the Dusy Ershim.
As best as I can tell I'm going to try the 22nd of October as the first wheeling day. Yep, late in the season and cold. If I get lucky and the weather holds off...
I've talked to some of you already but didn't have a date.
According to the powers that be here at work it's my only chance this year.

Who's in??

Possible
Fiend
Jdofmemi
danford.lau

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
Matt and I went in the 2nd week of Sept last year...it was already very cold...10,000 ft...

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Matt and I went in the 2nd week of Sept last year...it was already very cold...10,000 ft...
yeah, I expect well below freezing at night. Zero degree sleeping bags.. Everyone will need to be well prepared for the elements.
Last year we did the Rubicon the 5th on October and it was spectacular during the day it got Very cold at night.

jdofmemi

Put me down as a possible, I would love to go, and what better way than with good friends.

I will have to see how things look with my customers, and how many other trips I have escaped to by then.

A trip like that late in the year may convince me to change my tire carrier so I can fit a few more comforts inside the Jeep. The tire won't care if it is cold or not🤣🤣

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Put me down as a possible, I would love to go, and what better way than with good friends.

I will have to see how things look with my customers, and how many other trips I have escaped to by then.

A trip like that late in the year may convince me to change my tire carrier so I can fit a few more comforts inside the Jeep. The tire won't care if it is cold or not🤣🤣

Will do. I think we all will have to play it by ear a little but i wanted to put it on the radar so people can plan.. Just in case

And good call on the tire carrier

Brute

Hooked
yeah, I expect well below freezing at night. Zero degree sleeping bags.. Everyone will need to be well prepared for the elements.
Last year we did the Rubicon the 5th on October and it was spectacular during the day it got Very cold at night.

Sleeping bag inside another sleeping bag...and wear tomorrow ‘s clean clothes inside your sleeping bag so you don’t have to change in the morning...when it’s the coldest...

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
As Ed mentioned it was already getting below freezing when we ran it last year. At that elevation during that time, any precipitation will likely be snow. As long as you’re prepared for it, I think you’d be fine pending it’s not too deep or anything. The trail isn’t particularly hard so even with some snow you’d probably be fine. Don’t waste your time fishing at Thompson lake though. Very cool trail. I’ll keep an eye on this thread but I can’t really commit to anything this year. #dadlife

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I’d also like to make this work as well but not sure given we are doing a 7 week vacation from thanksgiving to New Years . Please also put me down as a possible . Subscribed

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
As Ed mentioned it was already getting below freezing when we ran it last year. At that elevation during that time, any precipitation will likely be snow. As long as you’re prepared for it, I think you’d be fine pending it’s not too deep or anything. The trail isn’t particularly hard so even with some snow you’d probably be fine. Don’t waste your time fishing at Thompson lake though. Very cool trail. I’ll keep an eye on this thread but I can’t really commit to anything this year. #dadlife

I definitely understand planning with a family. Thanks for the info

I’d also like to make this work as well but not sure given we are doing a 7 week vacation from thanksgiving to New Years . Please also put me down as a possible . Subscribed

Nice vacation!! You're in as a possible

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Last year we did the Rubicon the 5th on October and it was spectacular during the day it got Very cold at night.[/QUOTE]

The Rubicon in October will seem like the tropics compared to the Dusy!

Brute

Hooked
If you did this in Sept I’d be in...your dates are during my wife’s bday...which means no way...

Astroman

Would be interested if earlier. I’ll be wheeling in Moab 23-27 October. Early September would have been perfect — and less weather risk!

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
If you did this in Sept I’d be in...your dates are during my wife’s bday...which means no way...

Totally get it.
I've got another 10 years working before I get to do summer stuff (Retirement), until then I'm stuck wheeling a bit in Fall, mostly Winter and some Spring.
It could be this won't pan out but I want to try..
Would be interested if earlier. I’ll be wheeling in Moab 23-27 October. Early September would have been perfect — and less weather risk!

If it doesn't work maybe I could join you :brows:

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
As it turns out this won't be a viable trip this year. I just don't have enough days off. As some may have rear I'm going to shoot for the Rubicon the end of October :fingerscrossed:

Top Bottom