Cooper vs Nitto

BaddestCross

Okay, so I'm trying really hard to talk myself into going Cooper. I'm a huge Nitto fan, but I want to go with 13.5" width this time around and Nitto doesn't offer 37" Trail Grapplers in 13.5... I like the Mud Grapplers in theory, but I'm not sure if I could deal with the noise for long highway trips that I tend to take.

Coopers, on the other hand, do offer the size I want and the price right now at Discount Tire Direct is about $100 less per tire, so it should be a no-brainier, but the sidewall issues I've seen in person and here make me really nervous. I know a lot of you here are running them with no issues, but I've seen enough failures that it makes me worry.

Maybe it was a bad run? Maybe the failures were a fluke? I don't know... Can anyone out there help put my mind at ease or should I bite the bullet and get another set of 12.5 Trail Grapplers?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I’m curious about the comparison in noise level between cooper and Nitto. Is there any competition (Cooper or otherwise) to the ridge grappler in this regard? Looking at 35s but can’t convince myself that I want to sacrifice the silence as it’s my daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

I sell and install a LOT of Nitto Trail Grapplers and never have issues with them. I’ve run them in all sizes in the past and never once had an issue with them. I have run the Coopers in 37’s before and didn’t have any issues with them. That being said, I have personally seen sidewall failure on STT Pros and I’ve wondered the same thing. I guess if you aren’t comfortable with the choices, stick with what you know works for you.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Okay, so I'm trying really hard to talk myself into going Cooper. I'm a huge Nitto fan, but I want to go with 13.5" width this time around and Nitto doesn't offer 37" Trail Grapplers in 13.5... I like the Mud Grapplers in theory, but I'm not sure if I could deal with the noise for long highway trips that I tend to take.

Coopers, on the other hand, do offer the size I want and the price right now at Discount Tire Direct is about $100 less per tire, so it should be a no-brainier, but the sidewall issues I've seen in person and here make me really nervous. I know a lot of you here are running them with no issues, but I've seen enough failures that it makes me worry.

Maybe it was a bad run? Maybe the failures were a fluke? I don't know... Can anyone out there help put my mind at ease or should I bite the bullet and get another set of 12.5 Trail Grapplers?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
How about this to put your mind at ease.
In a nutshell, if a tire that is covered by Discount Tire's “Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement” fails for any reason – whether it's due to a factory defect or a non-repairable road hazard and still has legal tread (3/32nds of an inch) remaining across the tire, and it has been in use for less than 3 years,

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
I’m curious about the comparison in noise level between cooper and Nitto. Is there any competition (Cooper or otherwise) to the ridge grappler in this regard? Looking at 35s but can’t convince myself that I want to sacrifice the silence as it’s my daily driver.

Toyo open country r/t is similar to the ridge grappler.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Obviously, I don't do a whole lot of wheeling let alone anything hard but I now have about 30,000 miles on the 37x13.50 STT Pros that I've been running on our JL. As I'm sure you've seen, I've had all kinds of problems with them. Same goes for the 40's I run on Moby and the 37's and then 40's I ran on Rubicat.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If noise is an issue, stick with AT's. If you really want MT's, the quietest ones I've ever run are Toyo MT's.

If it’s any help I love my coopers. I too like Eddie run the 37x13.50x17. The rocks out here are sharp and jagged and after roughly 30+ wheeling trips and 35k miles they are still in great shape. They are taking a bit more weight to balance but I still have about half tread and no chunking. I’d say go for it. And at the price they are you can afford to try them out and go back to Nitto for the next set if you don’t like them.

Wethy

Obviously, I don't do a whole lot of wheeling let alone anything hard but I now have about 30,000 miles on the 37x13.50 STT Pros that I've been running on our JL. As I'm sure you've seen, I've had all kinds of problems with them. Same goes for the 40's I run on Moby and the 37's and then 40's I ran on Rubicat.
Ha ha no wheeling at all!.

Since you mentioned Ats in another post what were your opinions on Evos sema build that was running the ridge grapplers performance wise on kane creek?

I have a set with 50,000KM on them and have been extremely happy with how quiet theyve been and how theyve hooked up for the little offroad ive actually gotten to use them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ha ha no wheeling at all!.

Since you mentioned Ats in another post what were your opinions on Evos sema build that was running the ridge grapplers performance wise on kane creek?

I have a set with 50,000KM on them and have been extremely happy with how quiet theyve been and how theyve hooked up for the little offroad ive actually gotten to use them.

Actually, I thought they hooked up well. Granted, in a place like Moab, AT's or a more AT like tread will give you more traction on the slickrock being that they offer more surface area.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I’ve been struggling with this as well... But with 35’s my issue is a little different, being they are E rated and Cooper only offers a 315 which is a hair smaller than the Nitto...

The Coopers seem to be better in Snow, Weight, Cost and Gripping the Rocks. I’m guessing it’s a softer, lighter tire than the Nitto because of the rubber compound and a slightly thinner sidewall... which allows for more flex and traction.

If I were you... I’d give the Coopers a shot. Eddie and others have More than proven how great these tires are.... and you don’t drive like a maniac so there really shouldn’t be a sidewall issue. Like Casey said, it won’t be your last set... go Nitto next time if your disappointed.

But lets talk about the Elephant in the Room.... You’re buying NEW tires!!? [emoji23]

USMC Wrangler

I’ve been struggling with this as well... But with 35’s my issue is a little different, being they are E rated and Cooper only offers a 315 which is a hair smaller than the Nitto...

I just made this switch from Trail Grapplers 35x12.5R17 to STT Pro’s 315/70R17. I’ve only been on one mild trail but very happy with the Coopers. Aesthetically, the biggest difference to me is the width. They seem quieter than the Nitto’s and are definitely lighter.

benatc1

Hooked
Having run both, I really did have a good experience with the nitto but thought they wore pretty quick. I've now had coopers on 2 jeeps and about to be a 3rd and wont go back. No issues, defintly no sidewall issues, wear very well, and I always feel like on have great traction on the rocks, seems better than the nittos but I'm also a better driver than I was back then, so who knows. But honestly probably cant go wrong either way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I've never run the Nitto Trail Graps but I've had my Coopers for 3 years now. If memory serves me, the 12.50 width is load class C, but the 13.50 width is load class E, so the sidewalls are different on the widths. I regularly run 8-10 psi in mine and have had no problems in sharp rocks. In fact, they've held up remarkably well.

My daughter tried to pinch the shit out of them a couple years ago...

squish.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've never run the Nitto Trail Graps but I've had my Coopers for 3 years now. If memory serves me, the 12.50 width is load class C, but the 13.50 width is load class E, so the sidewalls are different on the widths. I regularly run 8-10 psi in mine and have had no problems in sharp rocks. In fact, they've held up remarkably well.

My daughter tried to pinch the shit out of them a couple years ago...

So nice that you let your daughter drive your Jeep at the mall. If you let her take it out on a real trail, there's no way those tires would have held up :cheesy:

Wethy

Actually, I thought they hooked up well. Granted, in a place like Moab, AT's or a more AT like tread will give you more traction on the slickrock being that they offer more surface area.
Didnt know that. And im glad to hear that. Ill be heading that way for the first time and its entirely possible ill need new tires before i go and honestly i love my ridge grapplers. i had been also debating between the STT pro and RG but i was kind of thinking of sticking with the RGs because i put a lot of miles on the jeep. its always a tough decision on the needs vs wants of a tire. and the price difference up here is only 20 bucks between the two. Although i could just hit up a discount tire on the way. Lol

Top Bottom