Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JK overheating then not

Quote Originally Posted by longarmwj View Post
    Mines doing the same thing. It’ll go up to about the 3/4 mark on the gauge then go back down once the fan kicks on. Gonna try washing the radiator out to see if there’s any mud or anything gummed up there and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    This is a big issue. Most of the time it’s old mud stuck between the condenser and the radiator not allowing proper air flow to pull the heat out of the coolant. I’m sure you will be surprised as how much washes out.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Mine was doing this when it got into the mid 70s outside. I flushed the cooling system, replaced with fresh coolant, and replaced the thermostat... So far no more issues.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

I've been dealing with the same issue on my 2010. When running the AC and at 65mph, temperature would climb to the 3/4 mark until I turned the AC off and slowed down...temp would drop back to midpoint.

I had the AC compressor checked and even though the AC was blowing cold, it was low. They put dye in the system and haven't had issues since getting the AC done but I still need to take it back to check for leaks.

I suspect my water pump may be failing as well.

I replaced the thermostat and housing at a hotel parking lot due to a pinhole in the housing but when I refilled the radiator it appeared to not have a constant flow.

I’ll just throw this out there, try “burping” it uphill with the radiator cap off. It’s an old trick on atv’s that works but I’ve never burped a coolant system without the radiator standing tall without success. Cozdudes right about the air problem.
    If it persists it may be a leak, check your therm gasket or maybe head gasket ☹️

Been Around the Block Bustedback's Avatar
    There’s a bleeder screw on the thermostat housing on the 3.6. You have to remove the throttle body in order to get at the screw. Open the bleeder and remove the cap, when you get coolant flowing from the bleeder, close it up and top off the radiator.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

Just thinking, if it’s fine after burping but then overheats after sitting you’ve definitely got a leak.

Fresh Catch
    I had the same issue. I replaced the fuse, thermostat, and flushed the radiator. Then it overheated again. I found the negative battery terminal was slightly loose, not even enough to move it by hand. Tightened it up and haven't had any issues since. The terminal was loose enough to prevent the fan from turning on.

Us old mechanics jack up front of vehicle about a foot, so rad cap is highest point of system. Run until cooling fan kicks in. Put cap on after topping up before letting front end down.

if it ain't broke!

Mine does the same as do plenty of JK's I know, the temp will only rise on a uphill but only to between 1/2 and 3/4 never goes further.

Had all the tests done and all in order. Seeing other JK 3.6's do it as well I learned to live with it.

PS. It never overheats, no light come on and no boiling.
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon
    2.5" AEV, Andvanced Offroad front and rear Bumpers, Smittybilt XO2 winch, AEV Snorkel
    33" Cooper STT Pro's

Fresh Catch
    I am having same issue with my 2012 where it gets hot going up hills. Changed thermostat with a Mishimoto it stopped for a little while then it overheated when my wife was driving she stopped driving it when it hit 250 and had towed home for free. I Chan the water pump and thermostat again it was opening. Now it gets to 245 uphill. Not sure if I should change the radiator or is it something simple. Maybe I have a leak I smell coolant

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast