Coilover noobe

mallavoider

Hey All, so after a long research and the tremendous help from this forum I finally purchased and installed Kings coilovers. What an upgrade from before. But I’m not completely happy because of rubbing noises. The spring slider is rubbing on the threads. The shop who installed then (Rebel Offroad) already clocked the springs. So that they are 180 degrees from each other (top and bottom).
Is this normal? Do they have to wear themselves in? Kings talks about the how smooth and heir products are. What am I doing wrong?
I should mentioned that I have a short arm kit at the moment, with non adjustable from arms.
I would like to hear from you and your thoughts. TY IMG_8892.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ddays

Hooked
Not sure about the noise, but I think I'd raise my front track bar to the highest hole on the mount if I were you. :yup:

mallavoider

Not sure about the noise, but I think I'd raise my front track bar to the highest hole on the mount if I were you. :yup:

I don’t think I can, because it is not an adjustable one and it will swing the axle out on one side. I guess I need to change it as soon as possible

Ddays

Hooked
I don’t think I can, because it is not an adjustable one and it will swing the axle out on one side. I guess I need to change it as soon as possible

I thought that was the case but you'd definitely benefit from raising it.

Benito

Caught the Bug

I think in this case it wouldn’t, it would probably give him bumpsteer if he did. He would need to flip his drag link as well and raise the track bar to see the improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mallavoider

I think in this case it wouldn’t, it would probably give him bumpsteer if he did. He would need to flip his drag link as well and raise the track bar to see the improvement.

What kind of improvement you I end up with? A while back I was going to flip it, but I could not understand the benefits from doing so. I could use the sleeve insert to flip the tie rod and drag link without drilling out the knuckle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Benito

Caught the Bug
Hey All, so after a long research and the tremendous help from this forum I finally purchased and installed Kings coilovers. What an upgrade from before. But I’m not completely happy because of rubbing noises. The spring slider is rubbing on the threads. The shop who installed then (Rebel Offroad) already clocked the springs. So that they are 180 degrees from each other (top and bottom).
Is this normal? Do they have to wear themselves in? Kings talks about the how smooth and heir products are. What am I doing wrong?
I should mentioned that I have a short arm kit at the moment, with non adjustable from arms.
I would like to hear from you and your thoughts. TY View attachment 326329

I’m pretty sure it’s normal, clocking the springs 180 is what’s recommending to minimize the sliders from rubbing, but it’s going to happen no matter what. You don’t want to put your timing rings so low that during daily driving you are always engaging them because that makes noise as well. You probably also want to raise up your Jeep so that your bumpstops aren’t engaging the bump stop pad with every little bump in the road as well as that will also make noise. Coilovers are nice to have because of their performance off road.

JK07

Adding the AGM sliders in place of the King composite sliders greatly helped to reduce the noise you are describing - for me. I think that you can sort of hear the noise that you are describing in the Wayalife video showing Mel’s red JL with their new EVO coil over kit. He drives away and it sounds to me like it’s making the slider rubbing against the threads noise. At $100 per corner though, AGM sliders are admittedly a costly fix for just noise. Was worth it to me though and I’d do it again.

Sent from my iPad

mallavoider

Adding the AGM sliders in place of the King composite sliders greatly helped to reduce the noise you are describing - for me. I think that you can sort of hear the noise that you are describing in the Wayalife video showing Mel’s red JL with their new EVO coil over kit. He drives away and it sounds to me like it’s making the slider rubbing against the threads noise. At $100 per corner though, AGM sliders are admittedly a costly fix for just noise. Was worth it to me though and I’d do it again.

Sent from my iPad

I’ll call them on Monday. I agree that it is a big price to pay for just noise, but far less then I already spent. I cannot stand the rubbing sound.

JK07

I’ll call them on Monday. I agree that it is a big price to pay for just noise, but far less then I already spent. I cannot stand the rubbing sound.

I’m not sure if time and wear will cause them to settle down, but I decided I couldn’t wait to find out. Lol. Good luck... on to the next noise!

Sent from my iPad

Exodus 4x4

Sent from my iPad

I’ve seen them reduce noise, and I’ve seen them not doing anything at all to reduce noise. I hardly recommend them and when I do, it’s usually to that guy that’s already bought every functional thing he can.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would like to hear from you and your thoughts. TY View attachment 326329

I can assure you you got zero information from this forum if you bought the rebel kit.

Top Bottom