Loose Steering / Does it ever get better?

HydroBlue_Rubicon

I just lifted my Jeep with a 4” procomp lift with the new fox 2.0 adjustable shocks. I’m running 35’s and recently also added a fox steering stabilizer it helped a bit but my steering is really loose so loose that I could get pulled over for how hard it is to maintain in the lane. Would anybody have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rubiDave

Your caster is probably messed up without adjustable control arms.

^^^This.
Welcome to Wayalife. Most people introduce themselves before asking questions. See the Give us a wave thread.

I gather you're on a budget. You could get these instead of adjustable control arms.
http://www.gorancho.com/products/ac...arm-geometry-correction-brackets-rs62103.html
That should make an improvement to your steering and not break the bank.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve run a 4-1/2” lift on stock arms for a couple of years before my LA kit went on. It was not flighty and it did not wander. I would guess it has more to do with your steering geometry and or worn parts in the system. Is your drag link flipped? Post up a picture of the front of the Jeep from down low so we can see how it is set up. Second, get the front of the Jeep off the ground. Try moving the tires side to side by pushing on them. If they move at all, start looking for the source of play. Parts to inspect are the tie rod ends, drag link ends, steering gear, ball joints, unit bearings, and track bar.

HydroBlue_Rubicon

So the lift didn’t come with control arms so that going to be the next purchase on the list. Would you guys recommend any? As far my steering components everything is still stock besides the steering stabilizer. So I guess I still need to work on it to make it drive it better. Thanks for recommendations! At least now I have a better idea as to what’s going on! It got to the point where I’m kind of scared/annoyed to drive my jeep around which kills me! Really appreciate the help!

rubiDave

So the lift didn’t come with control arms so that going to be the next purchase on the list. Would you guys recommend any? As far my steering components everything is still stock besides the steering stabilizer. So I guess I still need to work on it to make it drive it better. Thanks for recommendations! At least now I have a better idea as to what’s going on! It got to the point where I’m kind of scared/annoyed to drive my jeep around which kills me! Really appreciate the help!

Yes, you'll need caster correction, and probably want a flipped draglink and raised front trackbar bracket to make steering better. Also, if you haven't upgraded your driveshafts now is the time to start planning - they wont last long if you drive it much.
See this...
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...s-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-Jeep-JK-Wrangler

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bustedback

My steering really tightened up after I installed a Synergy track bar, track bar frame bracket brace, and steering shaft brace.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Just my 2 cents but If your jeep steering feels so sloppy that you have a hard time staying in your lane, I'd say you have a bigger problem than just caster correction. I'd open the hood and look carefully at the sector shaft lower and upper. I have an 07 and I bet its a little different than your year, but I found that the collar at the firewall where the upper steering shaft goes through had fallen out and my steering shaft was just flopping around. This might be something to look at. Also, check all the tie rod ends, drag link ends, and ball joints, and steering knuckles. Torque all bolts down dealing with steering linkage.

Glen1978

Core 4x4 front lower adjustable arms, Synergy tie rod insert, Crown drag link from a RHD Jeep, Synergy weld on track bar mount. Set castor to 4.5 ish. Exactly what Im running on my 2014 JKUR with 37s. No steering stabilizer, factory track bars, and it drives better that it did stock. I shit you not.

Top Bottom