Nothing but problems with dynatrac 60s

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Feel like I wasted 15k on my dynatrac XD 60s.
Xd front with 1480 shafts do to 5x5.5 lug pattern.

So long story short I have had nothing but problems with my dynatracs. So last wheeling trip I ended up breaking a u joint which led to the ears on the shaft ovalizing the ears in the shaft. After going through my rig like I always do after check suspension components and making sure nothing more is damaged, I noticed the trackbar bracket has cracked welds and the bracket itself is cracked. Noticed the tie rod is bent as well. It really surprised it has lasted this long. Roughly 8-10 trips. Considering everyone I’ve talked to has bent their big whopping 1.25” tie rod they supply with their 12-18k axles. So for a week I’ve gotten the run around and no answers after calling everyday, while my daily driver sits parked. These axles are under a year old. They have been well used.

Here are some of the pictures.

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

So they’ll cover the trackbar bracket, but won’t cover labor because I chose to install my ram off of the mount to have it sitting higher than what their design is and was recommended by multiple shops to do six the ram was set up correctly. I would assume the ram tabs would of failed before the bracket tabs.

Never heard of a company having only “one year” warranty on axle shafts considering all companies have a 7 year plus warranty for standard chromoly axle shafts. When I broke my G2 axle shaft u joint, they warrantied the full axle shaft including the u joint. Did get a run around with them that took awhile for shipping do to being backed up. So how is it 9k for a front axle that I thought would be stout and have no problems for a year warranty that doesn’t mean shit and can’t cover an axle shaft. The axle shaft is over $900 to replace. End rant.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benito

Caught the Bug
Feel like I wasted 15k on my dynatrac XD 60s.
Xd front with 1480 shafts do to 5x5.5 lug pattern.

So long story short I have had nothing but problems with my dynatracs. So last wheeling trip I ended up breaking a u joint which led to the ears on the shaft ovalizing the ears in the shaft. After going through my rig like I always do after check suspension components and making sure nothing more is damaged, I noticed the trackbar bracket has cracked welds and the bracket itself is cracked. Noticed the tie rod is bent as well. It really surprised it has lasted this long. Roughly 8-10 trips. Considering everyone I’ve talked to has bent their big whopping 1.25” tie rod they supply with their 12-18k axles. So for a week I’ve gotten the run around and no answers after calling everyday, while my daily driver sits parked. These axles are under a year old. They have been well used.

Here are some of the pictures.

View attachment 326543

View attachment 326544

View attachment 326545

View attachment 326546

View attachment 326547

View attachment 326548

So they’ll cover the trackbar bracket, but won’t cover labor because I chose to install my ram off of the mount to have it sitting higher than what their design is and was recommended by multiple shops to do six the ram was set up correctly. I would assume the ram tabs would of failed before the bracket tabs.

Never heard of a company having only “one year” warranty on axle shafts considering all companies have a 7 year plus warranty for standard chromoly axle shafts. When I broke my G2 axle shaft u joint, they warrantied the full axle shaft including the u joint. Did get a run around with them that took awhile for shipping do to being backed up. So how is it 9k for a front axle that I thought would be stout and have no problems for a year warranty that doesn’t mean shit and can’t cover an axle shaft. The axle shaft is over $900 to replace. End rant.

That sucks to hear man, I can kind of see where they are coming from with the trackbar bracket, however having a ram mounted on the trackbar bracket isn’t uncommon, and is definitely a better spot then where they put them. As for the axle shaft, that blows my mind, did they say why it wasn’t covered?

Fortunately I don’t have any issues with my axles and I’ve passed the one year warranty so I’m on my own if I do, but when I paid the premium for Dynatrac axles I thought it was a smart move because of the warranty, after hearing this I’m not sure if I would make the same choice in the future.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
That sucks to hear man, I can kind of see where they are coming from with the trackbar bracket, however having a ram mounted on the trackbar bracket isn’t uncommon, and is definitely a better spot then where they put them. As for the axle shaft, that blows my mind, did they say why it wasn’t covered?

Fortunately I don’t have any issues with my axles and I’ve passed the one year warranty so I’m on my own if I do, but when I paid the premium for Dynatrac axles I thought it was a smart move because of the warranty, after hearing this I’m not sure if I would make the same choice in the future.

I believe me mounting it off of the trackbar made it so my tie rod has lasted longer in my opinion. I think with how they originally mount it makes them bend more in the middle. They told me the ram is suppose to bottom out before the stops, which I believe is wrong. Psc regiments using the steer stops. Had it set up where it had very little more room to go on the ram.

They said it wasn’t a “material” failure. But a chromoly shaft being ovalized by alum/steel caps from a u joint seem to be a failure. Obviously I doubt this scenario, but the material could of failed and caused the u joint to fail. But highly doubt it. Also would of assumed the tabs would of failed first before the bracket. Partially believe the bracket cracked and broke from rubbing and hitting rocks.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Like I understand anything and everything will break. Nothing is indestructible. Seen solid 3’ steel frames crack on a shovel. But I guess I’d figure they stand behind their product more than they do. These things are made to take abuse from rocks. Just expected more.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Like I understand anything and everything will break. Nothing is indestructible. Seen solid 3’ steel frames crack on a shovel. But I guess I’d figure they stand behind their product more than they do. These things are made to take abuse from rocks. Just expected more.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not trying to come on here to defend Dyantrac but to be fair, Dynatrac is known for making axles, not necessarily tie-rods. Sure they "include" one but I've never seen them tout it as being big and bad ass. It's the reason why I and so many other guys I know with PRO 60 knuckles made sure to upgrade to something like the EVO high steer kit and right away. As far as the track bar mount goes, well, there's a reason why most of us running PRO 60 knuckles have the ram mount welded to the axle and mounted to the knuckle - much like you would do with an EVO high steer kit. As far as the u-joint failure goes, there's a reason why Moby has been trucking along for over 10 years now and on the same shafts and u-joint and it's because we made sure to UPGRADE to COMPETITION SHAFTS and with CTM u-joints. Why? Because anything less can and WILL break as you have seen. Still, I would agree that it seems odd to me that they wouldn't warranty your shaft. Again, I'm sure Dynatrac can take care of themselves here but I just wanted to put a little perspective on things.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Not trying to come on here to defend Dyantrac but to be fair, Dynatrac is known for making axles, not necessarily tie-rods. Sure they "include" one but I've never seen them tout it as being big and bad ass. It's the reason why I and so many other guys I know with PRO 60 knuckles made sure to upgrade to something like the EVO high steer kit and right away. As far as the track bar mount goes, well, there's a reason why most of us running PRO 60 knuckles have the ram mount welded to the axle and mounted to the knuckle - much like you would do with an EVO high steer kit. As far as the u-joint failure goes, there's a reason why Moby has been trucking along for over 10 years now and on the same shafts and u-joint and it's because we made sure to UPGRADE to COMPETITION SHAFTS and with CTM u-joints. Why? Because anything less can and WILL break as you have seen. Still, I would agree that it seems odd to me that they wouldn't warranty your shaft. Again, I'm sure Dynatrac can take care of themselves here but I just wanted to put a little perspective on things.

I agree Eddie, I’m not sure if mine are the competition shafts. I did upgrade the outers to the chromoly stubs so the full shaft was all chromoly. Also didn’t know you could do ctms at the time or I would. My actual plan was when I saw I broke the shaft was to buy ctms. But then the ears were wallowed our. Going off the price of a replacement shaft, doesn’t seem like it would of been more to upgrade to rcvs. Even though they have their problems sometimes.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Also was was hoping if they warrantied the shaft I’d do Evo high steer, been needing too. But have been in the process of trying to get a house. So I can’t really go spending money. Lol

fiend

Caught the Bug

Wow, CTMs are $350 a piece, $700 a pair. Just for u joints.

How much for a set of 60 front shafts with regular u joints?

Mybadjk

We regret that you had such a bad day. A broken axle U-joint on any Dana 60 is rare, and can cause the damage you experienced.

I apologize for the handling of your call at Dynatrac. Your situation is in fact covered by our warranty, and if someone has not already contacted you to correct this, they will be in touch very quickly.

On any front axle shaft, not just ours, once the joint fails, the ears crash together and quickly ruin the bores making it impossible to install a new U-joint. It does not matter what the shaft is made from. Whenever an axle U-joint fails, try to stop immediately and replace the joint, or pull the shaft out before it becomes unusable. Sometimes this is unavoidable because you need to keep moving the vehicle to get out of a bad situation.

I would also like to inform others on the forum that steering assist rams must be made to the correct length so they ideally run out of travel at the same time, or just before the steering stops make contact. If the ram exerts continuous hydraulic force and the steering runs out of travel, then something else will absorb that force. A bent tie rod, fractured brackets, damaged ball joints, king pins, or knuckles can be the result. I’m sure PSC can supply shims to adjust the travel of their ram. I also have a PSC ram on my personal JK, and it was not hard to set this up correctly, but does take some time.

Ram positioning is also important to concentrate the force at the tie rod end center point on the driver’s side. I can’t tell from the pictures if yours is in that position, but I can help you determine that.

I’m not sure what axle package you purchased, but we offer optional larger diameter tie-rods that can be ordered with an axle. You may also delete the tie-rod from your order if you prefer another aftermarket brand.

If you would PM me your contact info, I would be happy to work with you one-on-one to dial in your set-up and provide support. I’m on the road at the moment, but will be able to connect with you early next week.

A.J.

Great response! Sounds like you're getting taken care of. Please share your experience as it goes along so others can benefit from it. Service after the sale is very important and action speaks louder than words. Interested to see what the end result is.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Mybadjk

We regret that you had such a bad day. A broken axle U-joint on any Dana 60 is rare, and can cause the damage you experienced.

I apologize for the handling of your call at Dynatrac. Your situation is in fact covered by our warranty, and if someone has not already contacted you to correct this, they will be in touch very quickly.

On any front axle shaft, not just ours, once the joint fails, the ears crash together and quickly ruin the bores making it impossible to install a new U-joint. It does not matter what the shaft is made from. Whenever an axle U-joint fails, try to stop immediately and replace the joint, or pull the shaft out before it becomes unusable. Sometimes this is unavoidable because you need to keep moving the vehicle to get out of a bad situation.

I would also like to inform others on the forum that steering assist rams must be made to the correct length so they ideally run out of travel at the same time, or just before the steering stops make contact. If the ram exerts continuous hydraulic force and the steering runs out of travel, then something else will absorb that force. A bent tie rod, fractured brackets, damaged ball joints, king pins, or knuckles can be the result. I’m sure PSC can supply shims to adjust the travel of their ram. I also have a PSC ram on my personal JK, and it was not hard to set this up correctly, but does take some time.

Ram positioning is also important to concentrate the force at the tie rod end center point on the driver’s side. I can’t tell from the pictures if yours is in that position, but I can help you determine that.

I’m not sure what axle package you purchased, but we offer optional larger diameter tie-rods that can be ordered with an axle. You may also delete the tie-rod from your order if you prefer another aftermarket brand.

If you would PM me your contact info, I would be happy to work with you one-on-one to dial in your set-up and provide support. I’m on the road at the moment, but will be able to connect with you early next week.

Its very nice to see you jump in here and take care of his problem. I also have your axels front and rear and would really appreciate if you could let us in on setting up the PSC correctly. Thanks in advance.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Mybadjk

Got in contact with Steve and we ended up getting things sorted out and taken care of.

fiend

Caught the Bug

I’d be interested to know more about this. I’m not sure what you mean by “tie rod end center point on the driver’s side.” Would you mind explaining this a bit more, for those of use that have the ram connected to the tie rod and not the knuckle (as with the EVO high steer, for example). Thanks.

Top Bottom