Cracks in tires

whispike

Is it normal to get cracks within the treads of your tires? I’ve had these Trail Grapplers for three years and roughly 30k miles on them and they are getting dry rott looking cracks on them. I was advised to get new tires. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I have cracks and chunks missing from rocks having their way with them... Does that count?

Do you have pictures?

Ddays

Hooked
Quite a few people have posted up pics like yours over the years. For some reason the Nitto TG's seem to do this. I don't think it's a huge deal - more of a cosmetic issue than anything else.

bmkrinne

I’ve had several sets of BFG’s do the same thing after a few years. Never had an issue performance wise though.

Here are the BFG A/T KO tires on my Jeep now with 40k and 3 years.

IMG_2117.jpg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My Trail Grapplers looked like that for the last 10-12,000 miles of the 40k I put on them.

View attachment 326653

I also experienced that with some BFG’s, like others, in the past. For the cost of both brands it’s kinda disappointing.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

Cheap-o tires on my DJ have it too. I never noticed it back in the northeast on any tires. Wonder if the weather has something to do with it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

Cheap-o tires on my DJ have it too. I never noticed it back in the northeast on any tires. Wonder if the weather has something to do with it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’d agree it’s the dry climate and sun. It’s also more noticeable in mud terrain tires since the lugs have more space in between, at least to me.

The Hankook street tires on our previous Explorer did it too, but wasn’t noticeable until the very end.

jdofmemi

I bought a used set of Toyos for the JL.

The four that were on the other guys Jeep were fine, but the unused spare has the same cracks as the pictures above.

It seems lack of use is contributing to the problem.

I also have bought some used tires for a large wheel loader. The tires were like new, but one is wearing fine, while the other one is cracking, loosing chunks out of the tread.
I'm not just talking weather cracks, but full blown radial cracks that make it scary to walk by.
Where I got them from, the machine they were on was parked where one side got lots of sun, the other side was mostly shaded.

WJCO

Meme King
Look at the born on date on your tires, you may have tires older than the three years you’ve owned them

^ This. The last four numbers of your DOT will give you the date code of when they were built.

Plus you live in SoCal where dry rot is common. The only moisture you get is from the tears of the Millennial Hipsters when the waitress puts a plastic straw on the table.

fiend

Caught the Bug
It's a re capped tire.

I am surprised that the cap is weather cracked, but the carcass doesn't seem to be.

Uncured concrete is fairly caustic stuff. If the tires got some on there and it wasn’t rinsed off quickly, maybe it’s causing the tires to break down. Particularly if it’s happened repeatedly.

Top Bottom