Utah over Memorial Day

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
My wife and I are thinking about visiting Arches and Canyonlands National Parks over 4 day weekend . We would probably start driving up Thursday night and arrive mid day Friday. Would spend 3 days exploring and drive back Monday to LA .

Is it enough time to enjoy the parks ?

It wouldn’t be a wheeling trip per day but we might be interested in hitting trails 1 day since we will have the Jeep .

Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
You can do Arches in one day. It’s close to Moab so you won’t spend a lot of time driving to and from.

Canyonlands has three different sections accessed via different entry points that are a fair distance apart. You can get some wheeling in by visiting the Needles section via Elephant Hill. It’s a hour drive from Moab, so that would take a full day.

I haven’t visited the other two sections of Canyonlands (Island in the Sky and the Maze), so can’t comment on those.

Shoot me a PM if you end up wanting to hit a trail one of the days you’ll be there. I’ll try and drive down from salt lake for a day trip.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
You can do Arches in one day. It’s close to Moab so you won’t spend a lot of time driving to and from.

Canyonlands has three different sections accessed via different entry points that are a fair distance apart. You can get some wheeling in by visiting the Needles section via Elephant Hill. It’s a hour drive from Moab, so that would take a full day.

I haven’t visited the other two sections of Canyonlands (Island in the Sky and the Maze), so can’t comment on those.

Thanks!

Shoot me a PM if you end up wanting to hit a trail one of the days you’ll be there. I’ll try and drive down from salt lake for a day trip.

Will do Casey . Would be fun . I’ll keep you posted

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Sounds like we won’t make it all the way up to Moab . Not enough time . Will have the Jeep but will be doing some car camping and hiking around St George, Zion, Bryce, and Cathedral Valley . Let me know if anyone has Bryce or Cathedral Valley recs — wheeling or otherwise . Might also hit sand hallow but only if someone else is around

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Sounds like we won’t make it all the way up to Moab . Not enough time . Will have the Jeep but will be doing some car camping and hiking around St George, Zion, Bryce, and Cathedral Valley . Let me know if anyone has Bryce or Cathedral Valley recs — wheeling or otherwise . Might also hit sand hallow but only if someone else is around

Zion is close to Sand Hollow.

Edit: Sorry for duplicate info, I just noticed your last sentence.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Anyone know trails in the area that aren’t too hard and can be done solo? Should be plenty of people out on the trails over Memorial Day but still . I’m planning to make trip out to see Toquerville Falls as well

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Anyone know trails in the area that aren’t too hard and can be done solo? Should be plenty of people out on the trails over Memorial Day but still . I’m planning to make trip out to see Toquerville Falls as well

The trails at sand hollow? They are hard to find if you don’t know them. Torquerville is cool but kind of anticlimactic.

4 days? Including the drive to and from? That’s going to be tough. If your enjoying your stay in whichever park you land in. My advise would be to stay and enjoy as much time possible there instead of trying to see multiple parks.

You can spend weeks/months in each park and not see all the cool stuff.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
4 days? Including the drive to and from? That’s going to be tough. If your enjoying your stay in whichever park you land in. My advise would be to stay and enjoy as much time possible there instead of trying to see multiple parks.

You can spend weeks/months in each park and not see all the cool stuff.

We’ve been in Zion before. 4 days of being there not including the drives . We’re cranking all the way to st George on Thursday night and not heading back to LA until Tuesday.

Hell Don does 3 day trips to Moab [emoji51]

I hear yah.
Three years ago we spent 10 days checking out the mighty 5 and wished I spent those 10 days in one park instead.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I hear yah.
Three years ago we spent 10 days checking out the mighty 5 and wished I spent those 10 days in one park instead.

Idk how many times I’ll be able to get up there so trying to catch at least a new park . That’s what’s tough about having to come from west LA. Hardly ever make it past Zion . Next Utah trip is Moab but that’s all wheeling

Top Bottom