KMC threaded insert missing.. size?

So I’ve begun the process of mounting tires on my new KMC XD232 beadlocks (thanks Bubba!). Aside from some missing bolts I’ve now come to an insert that seems to be missing? I can’t see much inside, but appears there aren’t any threads. Can anyone tell me the size (3/8-16 solid insert for metal maybe)? And is this something I can do myself / any special tools required? Hoping I can run to the hardware store tomorrow to take care of it. I know Bubba is at an event this weekend and I already reached out about the bolts... don’t wanna bother him too much especially if I can run down the road and be able to finish up the project.
IMG_3989.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oh and I should mention that something prevents the bolt from being able to fit down into the hole on the wheel. Not sure what it could be or how I’d get it out
Having gotten the ring off looks like they out in a bad insert

IMG_3990.jpg

Last edited:

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
Oh and I should mention that something prevents the bolt from being able to fit down into the hole on the wheel. Not sure what it could be or how I’d get it out
Having gotten the ring off looks like they out in a bad insert

View attachment 326736

If the bolt does not fit through the hole I would have to say the Factory missed one of them. You should be able to thread it yourself and install a helicoil

sipafz

Caught the Bug
So I’ve begun the process of mounting tires on my new KMC XD232 beadlocks (thanks Bubba!). Aside from some missing bolts I’ve now come to an insert that seems to be missing? I can’t see much inside, but appears there aren’t any threads. Can anyone tell me the size (3/8-16 solid insert for metal maybe)? And is this something I can do myself / any special tools required? Hoping I can run to the hardware store tomorrow to take care of it. I know Bubba is at an event this weekend and I already reached out about the bolts... don’t wanna bother him too much especially if I can run down the road and be able to finish up the project.
View attachment 326734

First I will say that you should probably just send the defective wheel back under warranty. If you’re bound and determined to keep moving forward right now then consider the following:

Assuming that the bolt is 3/8-16 as you mentioned, the minor diameter of the threaded hole should be around 25/64” (.390” to .397”). I would measure this and confirm first.

Next would be to purchase a helicoil kit. It will come with the proper size drill 25/64” (.390”) or Letter “X” (.397”) and 3/8-16 STI tap. The kit will also come with a handful of inserts.

Use plenty of oil when cutting the threads and a T Handle tap wrench is helpful to get the threads started straight.

Doing this yourself will probably void your warranty if you screw it up so make sure you’re confident with what you’re doing before starting.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys. Can’t tell for sure but is has the notches at the top as though there is an insert. Gonna see if it easily comes out. If it does I’ll just put a new insert. But if not, or it winds up the wheel was never threaded I’ll try the warranty route

A.J.

Thanks guys. Can’t tell for sure but is has the notches at the top as though there is an insert. Gonna see if it easily comes out. If it does I’ll just put a new insert. But if not, or it winds up the wheel was never threaded I’ll try the warranty route

It's an insert. Couple of mine were loosely threaded in but they all had threads at least. Call whoever you purchased from. They will contact Wheelpros and they will send you whatever you need. FYI check the center bore also before you mount them. They should be 125.5mm Mine came 108mm and will not fit over the rear full float hubs. They sometimes forget to open up the centers on blanks when they drill them for 8 lug. Had to put my axle install on hold for a week while I get them machined out.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Edit: I assumed yours were 8 lug. Disregard the center bore issue. You won't have that problem. Lol!

Last edited:
It's an insert. Couple of mine were loosely threaded in but they all had threads at least. Call whoever you purchased from. They will contact Wheelpros and they will send you whatever you need. FYI check the center bore also before you mount them. They should be 125.5mm Mine came 108mm and will not fit over the rear full float hubs. They sometimes forget to open up the centers on blanks when they drill them for 8 lug. Had to put my axle install on hold for a week while I get them machined out.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Edit: I assumed yours were 8 lug. Disregard the center bore issue. You won't have that problem. Lol!

Only confused me a bit lol

Top Bottom