Jeep jku pops out of gear during flex

sdcrash

Hey guys! I’ve looked all over for an answer and I’m having a hard time finding it... I have a 2014 JKU manual transmission with 60,000 miles, and 3.5” lift and long travel shocks (12” front and 14” back ) Lately, it has been popping out of gear while off-road, usually under heavy flexing... it’s like the transmission is actually moving a bit. It’s even popped the big trim piece of plastic up, that surrounds the shifter! Has anyone had a similar issue?? I thought about doing the B&W short throw shifter, but I think it’s something more... PLEASE HELP!
Thanks so much.

black pearl

Hooked
Have you checked the four crossmember bolts and the five bolts on the transmission (two on either side on top of crossmember and three accessed from the bottom of the crossmember)?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I would start with a full inspect and re torque of all trans mounting points. Bell housing, and cross member, as well as engine mounts. If you have popped that plastic up then something is definitely moving where it shouldn't be. Installing an expensive shifter isn't gonna fix the problem that you are having.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

QuicksilverJK nailed it☝️

If I had to guess, out of the things he mentioned, motor mounts seem most likely to me, and that is likely to lead to more problems than just popping out of gear if not taken care of.

sdcrash

Thank you much guys. I never even thought of motor mounts, but that and the transmission bolts seem like they could be the culprit. Thanks a ton! Hope this is it!

Top Bottom